[Wanted] Proofreader / Sounding Board

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by Kephras, Jul 26, 2015.

?

Sound like something you'd read?

Not a fan of science fiction 3 vote(s) 7.7%
Might pick it up, if the cover art's good 7 vote(s) 17.9%
I love sci-fi stories, so yes. 20 vote(s) 51.3%
This is a Kephras book? Of course I'll read it! 14 vote(s) 35.9%
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! 21 vote(s) 53.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I would!
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. Sounds like a book report. I would be fine with telling you what and why, but I am a man of email.
    I don't really have skype or anything else.

I prefer handwritten sentiments, if you will
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  3. That's fine. Skype / Steam live-chat is for bouncing ideas around and being able to discuss thoughts & theories in realtime. At this point the book is just under half-finished and I'm more interested in knowing "what works / what doesn't, and why." The why is really important.
    607, Tuqueque and Equinox_Boss like this.
  4. I can't be the only one beating Keph's work up (actually, it's fun to read - very little beating required), and my time is severely limited to once a week on the weekends (if I'm lucky). Send help! :D
    607, Equinox_Boss and Kephras like this.
  5. Roughly, how many pages (or paragraphs) is your novel?

I usually read a few novels a week, yet, never saw this thread until now. xD
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  6. Per the update a few posts ago:
    92 pages, roughly 45k words
    (it's a single-spaced google doc all formatted nice and pretty). About half the length of your typical paperback novel right now (those run between 80-100k words, so I've read). Might take an hour or two to read through, beginning to end.
    tuqueque and Equinox_Boss like this.
  7. "David Keating is a nobody"? So is he essentially Arthur Dent? :p
    Kephras likes this.
  8. Har har.
    Just means he is not a person of any great significance to his community or social circles. No over-achieving, no great deeds or Dean's List stuff, just a face in the crowd (who happens to be at the wrong place at the right time).
    tuqueque and autumnrain26 like this.
  9. Update for those interested:
    I'm currently in communication with professional artist John Silva about getting the cover art done! At 55k words and climbing, I still feel like I'm on track for completion sometime this spring, so hopefully this isn't putting the cart before the horse.

It is also possible I may look to Kickstarter or similar to help offset the cost (or just keep my stress levels in check so I'm not working myself to death with overtime to pay rent & bills). That's something I'll need to think over very carefully though, as I detest the idea of "begging strangers for money," if I'm at all capable of providing for myself.
    607, Tuqueque and Palmsugar like this.
  10. Since I didn't want to muddle that other thread, update on progress? Do you still want any final proofreaders or editing? Cover art from professional artist complete? etc <3
    607, Kephras and khixan like this.
  11. I actually know a few authors how did what you're doing (writing a novel to be published) and they have done some interesting works. I find that of the 3 I know, all of them use Amazon to sell their novel or sell it at a local bookshop that is small retail, which there is quite a few of in my city mind you. I myself haven't read the novel or I expect I would be impressed by it, no offense on the fact that I would have nothing against it but I'm very picky of what I choose to like. You could easily say if I like it that it's probably worth your time and if I don't, it probably will still be worth your time, sometimes that is.

Now I do believe what you're doing is great! You're a wonderful writer (most of the times) and I think that some people if they do find your novel will love it. I say you take as much time as you need lest it be anything but good, just don't go more than 2 years not finishing.

Now for my final statements I say good luck for now...
    607 and Kephras like this.

12. Current status:
    Actual wordcount - 62,518
    "Rewritten" wordcount - 14,678
    Cover art (front and back) was obtained, but I may do some of my own tweaking, at least with the front cover, as it didn't come out quite the way I'd hoped. (The back cover is fine, though).
    Last edit was on Sept. 29th, but that was little more than tweaking a sentence here and there in the rewritten portion. I haven't done any serious writing on it for the last several months.

At this point, I'm not sure what it'll take to kickstart progress again, but if you're willing to have a read and provide some detailed feedback, I won't say no. I need a good boot in the butt though, and that means being able to tell me what doesn't work, as well as what does. Seriously, ask Jules - the stuff you rip to shreds on me is way more helpful than "wow, this is awesome, please keep going!"
    607, Kytula, Eviltoade and 1 other person like this.
  13. I failed Keph because I just couldn't keep kicking him in the ass. My foot started to hurt.
    Actually I could probably read it again now. We'd reached a point where I was re-reading far too often. I became a blob because I'd read it too much. Blobs don't have feedback.

Also, I'm Jules if you didn't know that Toade LOL.
    607, Kytula, Kephras and 1 other person like this.
  14. I would love to give feedback, if you still need someone lmk!
    Kephras likes this.
  15. Pfft, you didn't "fail me" at all, I just ran out of gas. Or, inspiration. Or whatever it is that kept me focused long enough to get as far as I did. Trust me, when it comes to big projects like this, my success record thus far is abysmal, so the fact that I've got it more than half-finished (well, before deciding it needed an overhaul) is still way better than I usually do, and I chalk that up in large part to you & Palmsugar helping me along.
    607, khixan and Kytula like this.
  16. I don't understand how I managed to miss this thread entirely for over a year.
    Oh well.
    I see what you're getting at, anyway.
    tinkao likes this.