/votekick & /voteban

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Qwertyip, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Look at you trying to cover your tracks by airing it in public as an example of 'Reporting gone wrong'.

Shame on you Aikar.

:eek:
  2. I hate to say that this argument was directed at me last night. The two recently un-banned members using words such as "You have no life because you support," "stop impersonating a moderator, just cos you're a supporter," "when I get diamond I'm gonna be above the rules and report you." I think Qwertyip can also confirm that the two people had serious attitude problems. It actually came to the point were I had to sign out to avoid snapping.

They even set up a sign in the wild, next to a broken building, accusing me of grieving.

I have seen a massive rise in kids on SMP2, who think they're above the rules, just treating the rules with the utter-most disrespect. I know of one person online currently doing this very thing.

Anyways, during this period of time I very much wished there was some sort of system like Qwertyip suggested that will allow members to vote on someone being temp banned, without it being abused.

Also, props to NurseKilljoy for banning the two trolls last night - as a matter of fact, just after Justin signed in to SMP2 - and Maxarias, who dealt with the second account that was raging this morning.

I was extremely happy, on a good note, to see that moderators were starting to come on SMP2 - I don't think /report works as well as the moderator actually physically being there (takes ages to ban, after going back and checking the chat log). With /ignore, I refuse to use it until it actually works properly.

- Alex.
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  3. I don't think a /votekick or /voteban would be a good idea. Mob justice isn't justice. The feature I'd like to see is a command like /findmod, or /wheremod, or something similar, that would give you a list of the online moderators and what server they were on.

I say this because I feel like a lot of the time, the really obnoxious people online are saying things like "STORE at /v 0000 !!!!!!!@@@!!!!!!--------", again and again and again... things that are against the rules (caps/spam, etc), but not awful, and (understandably) not worth acting on for a mod who's busy with other things. On the other hand, I've seen it get so bad that I've had to turn my chat off to avoid getting constant spam.

Generally when that happens I do "/who smp1-smp9" until i find a mod, then sign into that server and ask the mod to come over just to be a presence on the chat to hopefully help quiet it a bit, but that takes a while, and can be even worse when you're looking for a specific person (who might have been helping you earlier or something similar). So, it'd be really nice to have a /findmod command.

Q&A:
    Q: Why not just /ignore?
    A: I don't like ignoring people in chat. If there's something going on that's annoying players, I'd rather it be stopped. I CAN'T be the only one who gets annoyed at "OMG Cheep DIMONS!!!! /v 102!!!!!!" (yes I know whose res that is :D )

Q: What if there are no mods on any of the servers?
    A: It's probably around 4AM, and time to go to sleep. This doesn't happen much anyway.

Q: Isn't that what /report is for?
    A: Not exactly. /report is for reporting broken rules and the like. /findmod would be to find a mod for any reason. Ask a question, get help with something, discuss the weather, and, yes, even report players when it seems like things are in that weird place between reporting and being worth dealing with.

I'll add more if people ask questions :)

Also, can we get a screenshot from one of the mods of what pops up when someone /reports? I'm curious. Thanks.
  4. Sorry, forgot one thing:

Who wouldn't want to find a moderator? They're awesome!
  5. only.. if justin add /vote day
  6. Hey, that's not fair! Not all of us here at EMC live in the same time zone as the staff members. :p (Yes, I'm sure there are staff members from different time zones around, but still, I'm sure some time zones have way better staff representation than others.)
  7. Actually, I think that we have very few time zones that aren't covered. I know it's not perfect, but the span we have is pretty wide.
    terrafin007 and JabrZer0 like this.
  8. Yes i was there yesterday when this happened. I was hesitant to join in the conversation because of them accusing people of 'impersonating mods'... When infact all you were doing was enforcing the rules.
    However i had already reported the first guy for a different offence in PM with the mods, which turns out they where watching him and gathering evidence for a permanant ban.
    Anyways you did the right thing by leaveing for a timeout.

I can see where the mods are coming from that they cant set the public loose with a ban command because there will always be a select few that ruin it for us all, that would lead to more work for the mods investigating each one. They would rather do it themselves, and do it right first time. This might take longer, but it gets the job done. (Yes i know, this command was my idea, but i live and learn)

For major offences where I have a screenshot as evidence, I tend to goto the forum and pm the moderaters listed as online, because with evidence, things get done alot faster, and its alot easier for the mods when we've gone that extra mile for them.
    AlexChance likes this.
  9. Absolutely, I had also reported the guy multiple times, one of which he got banned for. Hence, he took his anger out on me.
  10. I can see where people are coming from with the idea of voting to kick and ban. I can see how people would idealise it as a simple and easy way to rid the place of the undesirables we unfortunately attract. However as a moderator I much prefer to personally take care of said people myself and get the consequence done right the first time then have a constant problem going on. Also, by doing this, if the player was to return and is angry about the consequence handed down, I would much prefer them to take their anger out towards me for my actions then to start going crazy towards the people on the server who were simply trying to do us a favour. We do have some quite impressionable people here and I wouldn't be surprised if someone yelling and cursing at them upset them greatly and made them not want to return.

I have always had a special spot for SMP2. I spend a large amount of my time logged into EMC watching it ... mostly from the shadows of square. It is always the first server I check every time I log into square.
  11. i would like being kicked wouldnt you instead of being ban never to se your friends again i hate that!:mad:
  12. Well hopefully some "n00bs" will go to MindCrack tomorrow instead of here.
  13. ShaunWhite1982 Live in Austraila.