Trying to tame a cat in the wilderness. Is this not allowed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tiburok, May 6, 2013.

1. I am currently over 25000 blocks away from spawn and I was thinking it would be great to have a cat to scare creepers away so I made a fishing pole, caught some fish and tried to tame a cat. By now I've tried at least 20 times and every time the ocelot gets hearts over it's head, then runs away. I know that I have to wait for the cat to come to me so I do, and finally one starts staring at me, so I right click and then it gets hearts, takes my fish and bolts for the nearest bush.

Why won't they tame? I have caught so many fish (and fed so many ocelots) that I should have a whole fleet of cats by now but I don't have a single one.

/sad
  2. That's odd. I know some people in town were asking about taming them and I told them fish. They said they couldn't get it to work. Sounds like a glitch maybe. :/
  3. There have been problems with ocelots spawning in excessive amounts, but to my knowledge I don't think that there's anything wrong with taming them. Are you following the steps in this thread? Also make sure you stay still when taming, I believe that they run away from you if you move around a lot.
  4. I am doing exactly what that thread describes. I stand perfectly still with the fish in my hand to make sure the ocelot is interested first. I'll just keep trying.
  5. Im not sure, but in general, taming cats is a pain in the butt.
  6. Alright, I finally got one. I'm curious to see what happens to pets when I die or go back to town...I guess I'll find out one way or another. Thanks for the replies!