There is more to just Melee!

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Daguman, Jul 8, 2014.

?

What kind of fighter are you?

I am a Melee Fighter! 4 vote(s) 18.2%
I am a Range Fghter! 13 vote(s) 59.1%
I run from a fight! 0 vote(s) 0.0%
I never leave town! 1 vote(s) 4.5%
I'm a Lover not a fighter! 4 vote(s) 18.2%
  1. I've never killed one with a bow that had punch so I can't really say. Guess I'll have to give it a try. Can you keep one at a distance with punch 2? If it's possible then you should get that message regardless of the circumstances.
  2. My answer to your poll is both.

My first 5 slots contain 2 different swords, 2 different bows and a battleaxe. I'm covered for every situation.
    607 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  3. No, it's not a staff option once the poll is created.:(

The system giving this message was branded 'anti-cheat' when it was first introduced. Clearly cheating is not the only way to trigger the system and messages have been reworded to avoid that term. Aikar and I had a lot of discussion on it and I think the wording now reflects the intent/logic that is present in the system currently. Shooting mobs at range to protect yourself or using the best weapons possible or setting up barriers between mobs and myself are all perfectly fair and correct ways to play the game and we are not trying to punish players for being smart.

I totally agree, I hate getting that message while 7 netherhounds are attacking me at one time and I manage to survive by using my sword to knock them into a lavaflow to slow them down while I fight them one at a time. Not one gave me a decent drop and the message spammed my screen for each one. Trust me, staff is aware that the system is not as smart as we had planned.

The problem is that the special drops need to be limited. Without this imperfect system, mob farms can be built to produce huge numbers of diamonds and emeralds by AFK players. This is not at all the direction that EMC is trying to take the server with custom mobs, we have been watching the system and working to improve it creatively. Clearly it favors melee combat. It warns you when your fighting style isn't going to produce any special drops, so that you can see what the system is thinking and so a discussion such as the one in this thread can hopefully lead to better management of our community and it's special features.
    PandasEatRamen likes this.
  4. 3 diamonds would've actually been great in the good old days. But now with the overpowered voting...