The Outside of my Nordic house

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by Otus_NigRum, Apr 27, 2018.

1. https://imgur.com/a/TwC8u2s

I am planning on building a Nordic Medieval style village out in the tundra in the frontier. This is my main house, and it's strategically placed on a hill, so i can overlook my village and the other settlement of a nearby player.
    I know, the design isn't exactly "nordic" but I found the roof design on Nordic minecraft homes on google images. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  2. interior is WIP, if you guys want to see it, i'll try my best and show it as soon as i can :)
    MoreMoople likes this.
  3. Cool
    MoreMoople likes this.
  4. Otus_NigRum and MoreMoople like this.
  5. Awesome!! I look forward to seeing more :)
    Otus_NigRum likes this.
  6. Nice work! And thanks for posting pics. Love to see works to get fresh ideas and design concepts. Love the roof peak...
    Otus_NigRum and MoreMoople like this.
  7. Nice looking house! Nordic looking for sure!

can I make a few suggestions?

It is nordic, right? a geographic zone known for the harsh weather, snowfalls, cold and constant winds. Hence the houses, if not sheltered or clustered, would be low to the ground for heat efficiency, and have steep sloped roofs for the snow to slide down more easily. Maybe you can bring up the apex of the roof, to make it more pointy? Maybe you can take out the upper floor or make it narrower (under the more pointy roof), so that the house would be less exposed to the elements , or add wings on each side of the ground floor -my favourite, with a large fire place and kitchen, and a drinking hall- to make the whole building look more ground-hugging?

Then, but that is more an aesthetic discussion, I would suggest you change the main supporting beams to spruce logs, or dark oak, rather than oak, to better show the frame and outlines the wall panes, and maybe the tiles of the roof -that we don't see on these pictures- to something darker than the walls, or alternating stripes (oak/spruce/oak/spruce/...)?
    and maybe make the arms of the slanted cross at the top of the front facade, a bit longer, and add a front piece like a stylized wolf/dragon head or something of nordic inspiration?
    MoreMoople likes this.
  8. Thank you for your suggestions, they help a lot :). This is my first time messing with norse architect, and the house you are currently seeing is my first build, so as I keep building more and more structures (i have three now, including a longhouse) the design becomes more and more realistic. Again though, thank you so much for these suggestions, I will use these thoughtfully.
    MoreMoople likes this.
  9. Anytime! Keep up the good work :D !
  10. UPDATE!!!
    I have promised an interior picture a while ago, and since then it has been long over due. So without further hesitation, here it is:

Before:

After:

As you can see, since then I have added a walkway up the hill, and if you look into the windows, you might notice a very small change here and there :). I also added the norwegian banners to spice up the "Norseness" and a good friend of mine placed some flowers. To the left you can see a building that wasn't there before, and if you haven't caught up on my mythology yet, that is the Knowledge house, where all of the information about the gods etc. are stored. I also added a little garden, and if you can look a bit beyond the trees beside the bigger building by the pathway, there is the first building that was constructed in the village. What you see is only 5% of the whole village though.. ;)

Main room ^ basically the kitchen and enterance

The second floor. Not much use for it now, but before it was a storage room ^

My bedroom ^ If you actually look at the photo, it's a picture of Jimi Hendrix. Only the OG's will remember my Jimi Hendrix skin :cool:

^ My most used room, as you would imagine, it's my storage room, which I like a lot. It's actually directly underneath the kitchen, and if you looked at the previous pictures of the kitchen you could actually see the stairs leading down here. Oh, and that open window is one of my favourite parts. Since the Storage room is in the side of the cliff, I made an elytra launch pad, which allows me to fly to any part of the village! And oops! If you look out the window you can see a spoiler of my village! Anyway, I will post all village photos when it's done :oops:

Just a secret room that you can access via the paintings in my storage room. Spent too much time on it, as I never use it :rolleyes:

Oh? What's that? :eek: Looks like a staircase which leads further into my cave system/basement... Too bad it has a ton of neat stuff in there, because you'll probably want to see it :)! How about this... If this thread receives some more love, I will post a full gallery of the mancave on this thread just for you guys ;)
    TheBidule, khixan and MoreMoople like this.
  11. im just going to bump it cause why not?
    ill post underground pictures soon
  12. I have a huge medieval aesthetic, this is neat!
    Otus_NigRum likes this.