The Octahedron of Oblivion

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by Zegridathes, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Heh, I've also backed off the staircase by 5-6 blocks. Someone suggested I make it a little clear where you're supposed to go so I'll probably throw in some sort of obvious path/signage near the stairs.

I had a fence around the base of the stairs but someone took basically ALL the fence on the island (the house at the northern end got hit too)

supermaster110, I have tons of redstone if you want. I'm not a big fan of generators when there's a whole big world to explore so if you want to do the harvesting... :p

I've done one cave I know of that's right under the safe room, I haven't checked deeper yet.
    And sure, if you want to check it out, I can let you inside to take a look, or you can just hop on top and remove a few of the ceiling tiles to take a safer peek inside. Just remember to replace them when you are done! There's also the bottom access that anyone should be able to go on. It's far enough away to keep from triggering creepers; skeletons will still shoot at you when they fall out though.
  2. Feel free to stop by and drop it off at my donation chest. I'll put your name on its access board. 4054, SMP2.
  3. Ah, something on smp1. I'll be dropping by sometime to see this. Great work.
  4. Sigh.

If you trigger a creeper, please fill in the hole.
  5. I saw the holes. I want to get this obsidian to you ASAP. Just give me a total count and I'll bring it, or I'll put it in a chest on my lot that you can access.
  6. We've got a lot of obsidian placed! Actually working on the walls now. Then some love to the entranceway and we'll be ready to rock (by which I mean ready to suicide on creepers without having to rebuild anything (besides replacing torches (and maybe some stone slab stairs (parentheses))))

Yey!
  7. I left you some in your chest. Might want to check that ASAP. I might get on later just to see if the obsidian is A: still there, and B: in my inventory, where people can't take it.
  8. I hope you guys don't mind but everytime i go to the OoO i make sure to try to help out by placing some obsidianin the walls and floor for you all
  9. The obsidian was gone when I looked again, and it appeared like you made progress. Was that you or someone else?
  10. Thanks! the floor is all done and the main walls are almost done. After that it'll be some reinforcing on the stairway and those walls.

Also, since sometimes things start to get busy (and since this one has been done, I'm accumulating more cobblestone) I'm starting to think about constructing a second (or 3rd or 4th) spawner.

The theory will be similar but I want to try to accomplish 2 other things with the new one:
    1. Allow spiders to survive (this means skeletons/creepers/zombies can only be reduced to 2.5 hearts)
    2. Allow endermen to fall out. (I may not stick with this one because farming endermen in the end is stupid easy)

The spiders thing just means the opening will be closer to the ground. The endermen thing means I won't be able to use water to move the monsters around inside (as endermen always teleport away from water)

I have a theoretical concept in my head... I might try to start constructing this west of the current OoO. It will probably be more cube-looking as I'm going to try a offset-grid kind of thing internally that causes monsters to slowly shuffle out without taking falling damage prior to the 'final descent'.

As I'm typing this, I'm leaning further and further from supporting endermen... water is much too nice for moving things around :p
  11. Zegriathes first off awesome project!!! Secondly you i personally don't think you should make it endermen farming friendly because that would make it much less efficient
  12. How much more obsidian do you need? I can make you as much as you need tomorrow. Don't support endermen or spiders. It's fine as it is.

I will head up an operation to build one on SMP2 if you give me the details (see conversation in inbox).
  13. all i know is that when i came back today the floor was done and most of the walls were on their way to being completed.
  14. We have made good progress, and if I do get on tomorrow, I will spend the whole day making obsidian to continue reinforcing the pit. Also, anyone have a running tally of what each person has contributed? It is just when I put down obsidian, I go there having already planned where I would put it, only to find it done and have to place elsewhere. I have personally contributed 156 obsidian to the project. Anyone else know what they have put in?
  15. No, sorry, I haven't been keeping tally.

Progress on the 2nd is coming along nicely. There's the 'flush basin' and then 4 spawning floors so far... I'm not sure how much I want to go up. The total volume of this one is smaller than the other, but because of how it's set up, it takes a lot more cobble... I'm hoping it will spawn things a bit faster/higher volumes though since there's more 'acceptable' locations for mobs to spawn.

The bottom needs some work too as it's all still just dirt (and a lot of creeper craters)
  16. Hey, if you put ladders around the edge of the ring, the mobs will treat it as a block and probably walk off more, just so you know.
  17. Is the second one going to be on SMP1 too?
  18. Maybe, but then everything on the ground would have to be lowered one block since ladders reset the fall distance

Yeah, it's right next door (look for the other giant thing in the sky)

I got the grounds cleaned up a little... I don't really know if I care to spruce it up any more since all I really wanted to do was keep 'normal' monsters from getting into the pen with the 'prepared' monsters.

There's a single block strip of obsidian, a gap then an obsidian floor. That's by design. so you can see how many monsters are inside.

Yes, I know it lets spiders get out, but spiders that fall against the middle pillar only take one hit with anything, just swat them!

Yes, I also know that skeletons can jump and shoot at you while you stand outside the pen. I don't want the wall higher because then it prevents us from having a clear bow-and-arrow shot at them. If there's too many skeletons, just thin the herd at range.

You'll notice the 'backsplash' made out of cobble on the open edge of the pen should be enough, if you want to stand close, to deflect arrows shot by skeletons as they fall.

Overall, I've designed this 'arena' area a bit more so that you can stand back in one of the two 'wings' and wait for the monsters to come to you. Having the gap at the bottom helps you to know just what's coming towards you; I think that's a ton more valuable than forcing spiders with their huge footprint to force other monsters to glitch through the wall (spiders take up 4x as much floor space as other monsters)

I'm also intentionally not building a 'safe room' for this spawner. It has the wings/corners so you don't really need one.

Name still tenative... Might make a poll/contest for it.

Same as before, please don't go inside. I know the construction scaffolding is still there, I just want to make sure everything's alright before I take it down.

TL:DR: For all intents and purposes, this one is complete. Please don't assume something is unfinished.

Thanks iamfuturetrunks for some cobble mining help.

Happy killing!
  19. I wondered what that was. I thought someone else made that as a rip-off. It does take away spawns from the original, though.
  20. They are close enough to both fall under the same entity cap (generally, the more people around the area, the higher this cap will be)

Needless to say, even with only one person in the area, there's a high enough of a cap to allow each spawner to contain about 40 mobs.