The Grant Morrison Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by journeynaut, Apr 2, 2013.

?

Are you a Grant Morrison fan?

Yes! 2 vote(s) 16.7%
He is okay. 1 vote(s) 8.3%
No. 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Who? 8 vote(s) 66.7%
  1. We all know that Grant Morrison is one of the greatest comic book writers ever. So I decided to make a discussion thread just for Morrison. On this thread you can discuss what Morrison comic books are your favorite, the many hidden meanings and subtext within his work, or just how much of a Morrison fanboy you are.

For those of you who don't know, Grant Morrison is a very famous comic book writer who is know for being very post-modern and symbolic in his work. If you have never read a Grant Morrison comic book, I would suggest starting with Batman: Arkham Asylum, A Serious House on Serious Earth (one of his earliest works). I must warn you that many of his works are mature in their content, so read at your own risk.

I would also suggest looking up the Fat Man on Batman podcast (I don't normally listen to this some guy said I needed to listen to these episodes) and finding a couple of episodes from February where Grant Morrison gave a really interesting interview. It will give you a greater idea of the themes he has used many times throughout his work. This podcast is very NSFW though.

The reason I made this thread was I have really been wanting to discuss some of Morrison's symbolism. If you want to discuss some of his less appropriate works (The Filth, for example), I ask that you put it in spoilers with a warning above.
  2. Never heard of him....
  3. You have clearly never read many comic books.
  4. In fact, i haven't read ANY.
    I like novel books :)
  5. No one else reads Morrison?
  6. I only read manga :D
  7. I read Alien comics........
    I have about a bajillion ._.
    I also have no idea who Grant Morrison is.....
  8. Tbh, I only really read Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead and his Super Dog (which has alot of references to it in TWD).
  9. I have never read any manga other than Scott Pilgrim (if you want to count that).
  10. I like Grant Morrison but I've also been more of a Geoff Johns fan.
    The only comic books I can remember from Morrison is the Final Crisis series…:oops:
  11. Geoff Johns had some good ideas for Green Lantern at first, but now it has gotten to the point where everything that happens has to be a major universe threatening event. And from what I have heard he has run out of good ideas for every series he is on. I think it is a combination of taking on too many series and being over overworked and not knowing how to write anything that isn't a major battle event.

Final Crisis is definitely my favorite of the "Crisis" events. Probably my favorite part is the equation that proves that life is a question and anti-life is the answer. Fun fact: Morrison did not want to bring Batman back to life after Final Crisis, but DC forced him to. Morrison thought that Dick and Damian should have been the Batman and Robin of the 21st century.
  12. I've mainly been more of a Green Lantern fan anyways. But that's pretty accurate.

Final Crisis was my favorite too. Morrison bringing Libra into it was a nice touch.
  13. This thread needs a bump (seriously, no one else reads Morrison?).

The Invisibles omnibus is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Ever. It is bigger than some dictionaries.