[Suggestion] The tutorial: inconsistencies & lets not ignore other servers?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ShelLuser, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Hi gang!

Oh dear, the tutorial again.. Now, I do think staff are trying hard, I honestly do. Adding black to make the holograms easier to read is a good change. But I still have some whining to do...

Please make it more consistent. Right now it looks to me like a collection of random snippets. Example?

Well:

No I don't remember those flags. First of all they were mentioned as an after thought:

This is the first time I hear about this. For all I know those flags could be banners you need to hang up. Sounds crazy? Sure, but that's only because you know what's up ahead. What is a flag?

But more so: you only get to read more about flags AFTER you read about the frontier and wasteland (I read from left to right), the Empire assistant, need staff? and tips on being lost. And only then do you get "flags made easy". Wouldn't it make more sense to add this section when people still have some notion of flags? At this point in time I don't even associate those with town anymore.

Second...

I know we don't want to talk about other servers. It's actually a rule I will always easily support because it makes sense and it would be plain out rude not to follow up on.

But does that really mean you should ignore the whole lot too? Like it or not but there are standards within survival servers. And if you want players to hang around then I think you should make sure that they will realize what they're up against.

90% of all survival servers have land claiming in the form of either WorldGuard, GriefPrevention or both. EMC has neither but still has something similar (IMO even better): block claiming.

WHY oh why does the tutorial not mention one word of this feat?

This is probably your best custom feature ever! Yet nothing?!

Yeah, some staff claims to know what new players want (so they told me in public) yet you also totally ignore the one question which gets asked over and over and over again which is also the defacto standard: where can I claim land? Sorry for me stopping to taking you serious from here on.

Survival 101: players want to claim land. 90% of the other survival servers does this. So why not at least acknowledge the feat and explain that on EMC you claim blocks, not land perse?

If you lack the ability to think out of the box then get players involved who can. Seriously.

In all honesty: the only reason I'm aware of all this is because Aya also plays on other servers. She has her favorites (I wonder which... hmm.. ;)) but also hops around a lot.

Suggestion: Don't rip the town topic amongst worlds and also mention block protection within context of land claiming.
    Tuqueque and SkeleTin007 like this.
  2. Thank you for your input. The tutorial is organized in a manner to facillitate learning idea chunks. Town is mentioned on a 'heres all of our worlds' island. Flags are then brought up in more detail on the 'how do I protect my stuff' island. It's a progressive system and needs to be split up for this. I'll look into a wording change to help explain what a flag is more.

More is coming to the island about protecting belongings. There's a nice big blank spot to the left that will be filled soon. Just working on wording choices, since it's something we want to mention is coming in more complete regard, but we have buildmode in the meantime. New players don't want to read an essay, so we're working on conveying this in the best manner.

So thank you for your input. Suggestion kinda denied and accepted I suppose. We deny moving the island content order and we accept adding more info about land claiming, etc.
  3. Shell, I believe the consistency portion of your request is WELL NEEDED. I believe that picking up a topic after learning something different can be confusing. Perhaps with your flags example, there can be a sentence saying “Flags are permissions on a residence you can claim in town”. Your second issue relating to the block protect should be included. BUT I believe that there should be a clearly marked OPTIONAL teleport to a place where the EMC block protect is explained. Just my thoughts!
    Tuqueque likes this.