[Suggestion] Shulker Box / Vault Workaround

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Pab10S, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Transferring items from a Shulker Box to Vault outside of Town can be a challenge since we cannot Vault Shulker boxes that are not empty. The way I have been doing it is to find a relatively safe place near a Spawn Outpost, place my Shulker Box and transfer its contents into my Inventory, then run up to where I can access Vault. Repeat until all my Shulker Boxes are empty.

I have assume and accept that this needs to be done out of necessity for technical reasons but it can get quite frustrating when I am doing this while fighting off the mobs that are always hanging around Spawns. I've thought of a few ways to possibly resolve the problem besides doing the obvious and allow Shulker Boxes to be Vaulted with items in them.

1) Allow Shulker Boxes to work like the Labor Bench when at an Outpost. Simply right click and it opens without needing to be placed. The box would work normally outside of the Outpost or in Town where permissions allow it.

2) Create a safe area within each Outpost or in Town where a box can be placed that is free of damage or explosions where the box can also be removed without accidentally going into another player's Inventory. A small enclosure with a door, for example.

3) Create a mob free zone around Spawns either large enough to be outside of a Ghast's aggro range or eliminate damage from Creeper and Fireball explosions. From experience you can be one step outside of a Nether Spawn and have a Fireball knock you and everything you have into a Lava pool or destroy the Netherrack beneath.

I like idea #1 the best and it seems like it would be relatively simple to do since it mimics an existing item's behavior with the exception of needing to check a player's location before opening.

If I have been overlooking a way of working around this problem or you have some other idea I would be interested in hearing it.
  2. +1 but I don't think l it will be added
  3. This is a very good idea, and I totally understand the pain and castle of shulker box transfers cross-server. Number 1 is perhaps the best, and most realistic. An alternative to those could be that if you place a shulker box in a vault page with enough space, it will empty everything out into it? But that would take a lot more effort in coding than idea number 1. Definitely a +1 from me!
    Gawadrolt and Nuttyknight42 like this.
  4. Would love the work arouned
  5. +1 I always ask a friend in a smp where i do not have a res for tempory perm setup for doing this
    Gawadrolt and Pab10S like this.
  6. + 1 does the plus 1 thing really work?
    Gawadrolt and Tuqueque like this.
  7. I don't agree with this. The shulker box already adds an immeasurable advantage. It was a huge game changer. The reason that it can't be vaulted full is because of this advantage. It seems that the very little work to get materials from near a spawn point to your vault is a very small effort to add.

Do you remember planning the moving of large amounts of materials using a donkey and your enderchest? The shulker box cuts down the number of trips by a huge volume. Add to that the use of rocket powered flight and transporting materials is just too easy now.
    white_trash_dna and Pab10S like this.
  8. I always just walk to the edge of spawn... stand in the safe zone and place my shulker outside the zone and load. No need to fight off anything...
    white_trash_dna and EvilBlo like this.
  9. I have to go -1 on this. There's no need.

The important thing to realize here is that mobs don't go after items but after you (this especially applies to creepers). So as long as you're safe then so is your stuff.

So instead of running back and forth why not place your shulker box(es) just outside the protected area while you remain inside? Even if a creeper would come up to kill you then it would only disappear. And because you can interact with items from a few blocks away you can easily remain well inside the safe zone while you take your stuff out.

I usually go somewhere under the ladder (provided there's room) so that I don't risk that newer players might run down, think that this is some kind of gift box and start opening boxes without me noticing.

Another option (this gives me a fun idea) is to ask a friend to create a subzone on their res. I have a few friends who, although I definitely trust them, don't got access to my full storage. Basically only 1 other player (and my alt) has that kind of access. But subzones can help.

Create a small area on your res. where players are free to build (place & remove shulkers) and also got container access. That could also do the trick.
  10. +0.5. I have no use for this, but some other people may use it.

11. I didn't realize I could stand one step inside the protected area. I'll try that in the future. The other night the screenshots above are from where I was standing at the edge. I was nearly blown into the lava below the spawn area and decided to start this Suggestion thread. The area was patched since I was there last then it only took a couple minutes to spawn Ghasts and have the edge of the protected area torn up by Fireballs.

I'm not looking for anything extravagant. Just somewhere safe where I can concentrate on sorting things without having to worry about Ghast and Creeper explosions.