[SUGGESTION] Separate out mob caps

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Ryko369, Mar 26, 2021.

?

Should EMC mob caps be changed?

Yes! vanilla mob caps are awesome 2 vote(s) 100.0%
Yes! but maybe in a different way 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No! I like things the way they are 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No! I like abusing the passive mob spawning rates 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Huh? There's a mob cap 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Currently the mob cap on EMC is the same regardless of the type of mob that spawns. We get 75, and it doesn't matter what it is, passive hostile, aquatic, ect. And well, honestly, this is awful for mob farms. Especially because land passives NEVER despawn. So you can screw up your mob farm rates if you spawn passive mobs in the entc area by flying over non-spawn proofed areas. Essentially, passive mobs sharing a mob cap with hostiles means that if you really want to make sure your rates never get screwed up, you need to spawnproof a 9x9 chunk area around the farm. That's huge. That's ridiculous. Especially since passive mobs spawn in at a ridiculous rate because they don't have their normal cap. Ever seen 10 dolphins swimming around and 20 squid flapping around alongside them? Did you know that they normally share a single mob cap? It's 5. Squid and dolphins share a mob cap of 5 in vanilla. You'd think that would be less laggy than all those dolphins and squid hanging out.

My proposal is to separate out the mob cap into their vanilla mob caps as shown below:
    Monsters: 70
    Creature(land passive): 10
    Bats: 15
    Water creature(squid, dolphins): 5
    Water ambient(fish): 20

At the very least, It would be nice to get land passives to have a cap because, as noted above, they never despawn.

Now, you may be wondering, what about my squid farm? TBH if your squid farm is well made, this will hardly make a dent in the rates, because as long as you're clearing the squid cap fast enough, then more will spawn in pretty much instantly. And it comes with the benefit of not needing a perimeter to build your squid farm, as nothing else is interfering with their spawning.

It just seems to me that 50 passive mobs spawning in and then never despawning would cause much worse lag than 50 hostile mobs that despawn outside of a radius.

Anyways, long post, but let me know what you think.

Also, I'm pretty sure this a bug, but it'd be nice to have stray cats despawn like they're supposed to, my iron farm is getting a pretty nasty infestation, and I always feel guilty killing them.
    Egeau and FadedMartian like this.
  2. I don't really understand this suggestion. I mean no offense by saying that. Just that I am reading conflicting information... So will request feedback from the community on what behavior they are experiencing.

The EMC 75 mob cap only takes effect AFTER the vanilla cap happens. We will not be raising the 75 limit as it is intentionally mob type neutral. Frankly, it probably should be lowered more... But I hope that we can make 75 work. The 75 is over a smaller area than the vanilla cap - so it isn't really relevant to compare those numbers deeply.

So, with that information. I think you are suggesting that the vanilla mob caps are not working properly? (shouldn't be getting 50 passive mobs in an area). Just looking for clarification on what specific behavior is being seen.

It is possible our configurations on vanilla spawn limits are out of date.
  3. hmmm.... That I did not know. What I said about dolphins and squid spawning like crazy is true. And land passives spawn in pretty high numbers if there's the spawning spaces for them. I think the thing that limits them is the check to see how many of a mob is currently in an area. Still manage to get quite a lot spawned, especially over 9x9 chunks.

I'm also curious to know the EMC spawn rates, like how often does it make spawning attempts. That can make a difference too.

But it's gonna be a lot harder to test if the vanilla mob cap is filling up first, and then the EMC cap.
    Does the vanilla mob cap work the way it normally does in multiplayer, where it's shared across the world?
    This whole thing is coming about because my witch farm is getting way slower rates than it should be. I mean I know pack spawning and stuff like that is reduced, but still, only getting like 4 or 5 every minute and I've done a good job of spawnproofing and all that.

I'm basically trying to investigate possible issues. And, so I thought it was the fault of the pigs and chickens and cows. But I guess I may be wrong here.
  4. Anyway. We will look into it. It is a complex issue. :(
  5. I will try to do some stuff myself, perhaps an afk session or two with replay mod running and just kinda see how things are spawning in the farm and on the ground. I'd love to help in any way I can.
  6. Seems like a farm would be a bad place to collect data. The vanilla spawning limits should be geared towards normal world exploration. But maybe that is just an opinion...
  7. Well. This farm is a controlled environment, I can choose where mobs spawn and so I can keep them spawning only on the ground and not underground. It's a lot harder to observe mobs if I can't see them. But I do know a rather large plains biome in my outpost where I could set up some kind of observation station... hmm... Heh. I could add that into the lore even. Thanks for the idea.
    Egeau likes this.