[Suggestion / Quetsion ] Mobs spawning from spawner blocks being able to pick up Items.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Egeau, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Whello there everyone,

In minecraft, some zombies and skeletons can pick up items that are dropped by the player, some cannot. The ratio between these two depends on the difficulty setting of the world and the local diffiulty of the chunk. On easy, none spawn, on normal there are only a few, and on hard quite a lot more. Jet, when a zombie or skeleton is spawned from a mob spawner block they can only pick up items when you're on hard difficulty, and even then it's rare.
    Minor testing in the frontier, (which, for the record, has costed me my first death on my outpost,) found that some mobs spawning with normal spawning do pick up items, even when the player is in player difficulty 1. However, I have been unable to find any mobs that spawned from a spawner that were able to pick up items. Even on difficulty 9.
    This suggests that the server is still on the vanilla normal difficulty for this small part of the game.

This may seem relativly insignificant in the wake of the quite significant updates of the last few weeks, but it kind of is important. First of all, for some technical systems (Armour sorter, mobs switch and such,) it can be hugely important to reliably get both mobs that can and cannot pick up loot. Next to that, this is needed to get skeletons you can equip with better bows, which is needed for quite a lot of farm designs. Zombies that can pick up items are also oftenly used in fun projects, like player-made mob areneas. I have also seen them used for aestethics and to annoy friend.

The easiest way to get them in vanilla, (if you play on hard difficulty, which I think most technical players do,) is to hook a mob sorter up to a spawner and create an output of zombies-with-items-in-their-hands and one with the ones that can never pick up items, which looks a little like this:

(This also sorts and kills the baby zombies and the chicken with baby zombies on top of them)

Sadly, this is now impossible on EMC. It is theoretically possible to use a normal spawning platform, to then sort all the different mobs based on their hitbox size and get them out, but this would take quite a lot of time to design and construct a really large and laggy redstone contraption, which is probably not worth it for most people. (I need them desperetly though...)

Therefore I would like to ask if my fiendings are indeed correct, and if the frontier is indeed on normal difficulty regarding this aspect.
    If that is the case, I would like to suggest to have this changed to be dependant on player difficulty. I would suggest the percentage of mobs {CanPickUpLoot:True} to be half of the player difficulty minus one squared (.5*(diff-1)^2.) If making it depentant on player difficulty is not possible or too hard, it would probbaly be the most usefull to set it to be the same as the hard difficulty. As this would open up possebilities for some players whilst not hurting anyone. If this would still take too much time, it is, of course, also possible to not bother.

~ Jelle
  2. The server is on normal difficulty. Player difficulty is not currently factored into this mechanic.
    Some more thought needs given regarding the suggestion itself.
    Egeau likes this.