[SUGGESTION] Make it more obvious griefing isn't allowed in wastelands

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by mba2012, Feb 4, 2014.

1. This thread is becoming so annoying... I'm so tired of hearing from staff and players about what 'should' and 'shouldn't' be happening. It IS happening, deal with it. Players have given their feedback on their awareness of wastelands rules (or lack of). Debating/condemning players lack of 'common sense' or whatever isn't solving the issue. And argueing should, shouldn't, and common sense, doesn't make it all go away. :)

Someone update me when a solution is found. If adding a line of text when entering wastelands is too much to ask. I'll try think of another solution....
    brickstrike likes this.
  2. Who's arguing? I'm discussing :p

Edit: But yea I stated my side completely so for now i'll just be adding comic relief. :p
  3. Totally agreed. This is griefing. Intentionally destroying for the sake of causing others grief.

I am of the unfortunate group who has such horrible internet that I am not at liberty to risk anything I consider important for the mere act of mining. I must instead seek out raw materials from the start. I have lost many items due to the extreme lag I am subjected to while spawning in the Wasteland Spawn plazas. Therefore, I seek out trees first.
    I do not remove planks to cause grief. I typical set out, find any manner of equipment/materials necesarry and do my best to replace the removed items. Albeit usually with dirt/cobble/sand. I always plant saplings when cutting down trees as well.

I know the rules. I helped to develop many of them all those months ago I was a member of the staff. It does not change the fact that they are open to interpretation when described in broad terms, such as the term "griefing" tends to be.

As it stands, griefing is the performance of actions intended to cause others grief.
    Survival, at its most basic level, requires one to set aside social graces in order to maintain the basic needs to continue living imposed by the environment in which you find yourself.

Please, enlighten me how it is not causing grief to reset the world, without warning, in your view of things. As this may very well cause some who are ignorant to the purpose of Wastelands to feel victimized when they venture into the Wastelands following an unannounced reset and discover their hard work has been erased without their knowledge? Does this not stand to the same reason then that Mojang is not a griefer since Creepers are of their own design? What about lightning?

It is all too simple to cast a broad judgement over others when you do not pause to consider the opinions of others.

I do not grief. I have never done so nor will I ever do so. I will, however, utilize the non-permanent landscape to achieve my goals of survival in such a manner as to not ruin the enjoyment of other players.

I would never locate another player's structure with the intention of tearing it apart merely for sadistic pleasure. I will never be found in the Frontier dismantling even the simplest of structures for my personal need, either. Frontier is a place of long-standing projects that deserve respect and admiration.

However, when I see a 3x3x2 wooden "shack" in Wastelands and the nearest forest is not easily located and I am in dire need of a weapon for self defense or mining, I will take liberty to utilize the wood in a manner conducive to said need without pause. I will then return, if I am not killed or lost in my travels, with replacement materials. I will not waste the materials on a sign to indicate my actions as this world we call Wastelands is merely a place designated for gathering materials and temporary dwellings.
  4. I did not mean to offend anyone, I was only sharing my method and opinions. I thought I was able to do so.
    Twitch1 likes this.
  5. Do not worry, I am not offended. I merely enjoy having a full discussion on any topic.
    I have only shared my opinions, my experience and any facts I could dig up.

I do not seek submission based on fear, rather I seek to enlighten or to be enlightened on any matter in which the overall message is open to interpretation, such as griefing. It brings up many strong opinions, not all favorable.
    I joined in because I have a strong opinion on the matter. I tend to disagree with what is to be considered griefing versus surviving.

I will return if anything more is said to progress the discussion. :)

Side note: I am in college studying Business Management, I spend my days discussing and even arguing opinion on Business Management theories. I constantly discuss the EMC community as a perfect example of personal experience. Many of these suggestions/features/community discussions/policy changes etc. give me the fuel for futher practical application in real time. :)
    My instructor is quite impressed by the EMC community for the most part. ;)
  6. This felt like a personal attack

Edit: I do not wish to discuss further here, just making you aware of what that comment felt like. if you would like to discuss more pm me.
  7. It wasn't right of me to respond in kind to what I felt to be a personal attack as well.. I apologize.
    I will edit the post to remove that statement.
  8. Something good for implementation could be as follows:

On first teleportation to the wild and wastelands players are not able to move ...

He/she receives a book that has rules of that particular world ...

On the last page it says a command that they can type to bring up a chest ui to then discard the book ...

When the book is discarded they are then allowed to move around freely in that world.
  9. We should get back on topic
  10. That's a fair idea, they would need to code it right so that it wouldn't repeat on different servers.
  11. The book is a great idea but as I have learned griefers gonna grief no matter what we do to deter them. I wish there was an easy solution to this problem. When I started I went through the tutorial and was fully aware of the no grief policy and I understood while the wasteland will be reset from time to time it was still a no grief zone. Meaning don't destroy other people's shacks or steal from their chests.

I myself have built several shacks in the wastes as safe areas from mobs at night. I have come back to find them vastly improved from the state I left them in with windows, crafting tables, furnaces, and even empty chests or an ender chest inside.

To me this shows the majority of the community doesnt grief and will in fact appreciate an open shack with a door as a refuge from the things that go bump in the night. I have used other peoples shacks many times to heal up in or just a fast afk spot. I never take anything from those shacks and was very grateful that someone left me a safe spot for a quick rest out there.

What is truly sad is the less then 1% of the playerbase causing so much grief for the other 99% + of us.

Suggestions to make it more clear about griefing

1 - first time log in text messages saying -This is a zero tolerance server to griefing and stealing no matter where you are. You must type I agree to continue. (make them type I agree in the text bar before they can do anything even move)

2 - First time you go to wastelands or wilderness make them do the exact same thing. - best solution I can think of, if anyone has suggestions to make it better please add to it.
    NZScruffy likes this.