[Suggestion] Improve Help for New Players

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by neonkillah, Jan 14, 2014.

?

Am I exaggerating, and do you think anything about this will change?

Yes, you're being rash, and nothing needs to change. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Yes, you're being rash, but I think that things could change for the better. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, you make sense, but nothing needs to change. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
No, you make sense, and I agree with you. 9 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. What about an achievement list? I've seen these on other servers. Very basic commands would start the list, or maybe there could be multiple achievement levels where you have to complete all of the first ot get to the next. Each item would have a short hint, or the more advanced ones directing them to the Wiki. Each would have a status or be left off the list when completed. They could have rewards, maybe that are relevant to the achievement.

/list:
    Claim a residence - type: /res open, then /claim ... Reward: Diamond Shovel
    Switch chat channels - type: /ch l, say hi to a new friend, then switch back to /ch t ... Reward: Seeds and 2 Water Buckets
    Visit the Wastelands - type: /waste, then /Town to return ... Reward: Iron Armor and Pick

Create a Shop - Visit the Wiki at www.empireminecraft.com ... Reward: A Shop is its own reward.
    Vote for EMC - Visit www.empireminecraft.com and vote ... Reward: Receive Rupees for voting.
    Start or join a Group - Visit the Wiki at www.empireminecraft.com ... Reward: 20 XP Bottles
    Open Vault - type: /vault ... Reward: 10 Rupees (I'm running out of ideas)
    Switch servers - type: /server servernumber ... Reward: Extra Vault page?

Of course, we would have to learn to type /list or whatever command is used... The bottom line may be that many people are expecting a small server with very few rules or structure and they are just not going to find it here.
    607 and cddm95ace like this.
  2. I think that the achievements would be a nice addition to the tutorial, but more like an additional treat. On a skyblock server that I've played before, you can type /challenges to view what challenges you have (Like "Pumpkinfarmer", "Fisherman", ect.), but they could be more indirectly related to the rules instead of basic minecraft skills. Then, you would type /c (challenge, whatever the name was), and you'd get a reward. Maybe something like "Claim a res, earn 500 bucks", or "Switch chat channels, earn... a book." So basically what Pab said :p

Also, it seems that although a ton of players are aware of the bungee system, many of them don't know how to actually switch servers manually nor in-game.
  3. One thing I have noticed that is not yet a problem but will be very soon is that some new users think they can live in the wastes or that they cannot mine resources.
    I was wondering if there was a simple way to help them understand These things before they either lose everything or spend a month living in a dirt house very frustrated.
    dmac951 likes this.