[SUGGESTION] iCommonSense

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by xHaro_Der, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Does it REALLY matter? Answer that. We have forced censorship anyway from the FCC. And are you 100% positive it will add chat lag? No, you aren't.
  2. Wisepsn... Why not have a delicious pie to sooth your tightness...
    Better? Maybe try taking a less aggressive approach would be good. I agree sometimes it's best to have curse words blocked out in chat, however what would that mean? I think this would be something the staff discuss, not us members ;3
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  3. A big aspect of EMC is maturity. We have a very good experience here, because we have proven ourselves to be mature. Those who don't prove themselves mature are just proving that they aren't the right player for EMC. Why give them something to hide behind, something to cloak their immaturity? Its a good concept in theory, but in the end it is the freedom we have that makes our community so great.
    I get the point, its just that the point isn't the best option.
    This is so full of win. Also, the link you are looking for is here, http://jackbigg.in/emc/spotlight/ . It is my favorite staff harassment tool we have lol.
    PenguinDJ and brickstrike like this.
  4. Alright apparently it's completely okay to allow 8 year olds to look at chat that contains people dropping rainbow curses.
    boozle628 and wisepsn like this.
  5. Well, thats not always the case with staff. If there was some wierd update added to the empire, and nobody liked it, they might quit and stop that update. It is always important for members to step in sometimes. Also this is a suggestion, so why can't we discuss lol. Anyway, I don't understand why we don't block out curse words in the first place. It makes the empire look a LOT cleaner. Nobody wants a new person start yelling in the chat calling someone an inappropriate name(that happened to me once -_-). Not everyone has self control. I think some members are overlooking on what Haro is talking about.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  6. Freedom is what makes the communtiy great. We have freedom to go on the server for free without donating, have a residence for free, etc. BUT, there are some flaws. Is saying f bombs and the 7 words you can't say on television freedom?

I was in the wilderness one day and some guy called me the N word but said sorry and payed me rupees. I never reported him. If we did have Icommonsense, he would be banned. Doesn't really matter I suppose though. There are defiantly some big gaps and flaws in this system. What the system should do is if it a new member tries to say,(lets give example saying empire is a curse word) empire, the response would be in Red Letters saying, "Your comment is not allowed in the empire. 1/3." If he says it again it will kick him and say 1/2. If he does it again he gets temp banned and a referral gets sent to Square.

That would be a good idea.
  7. I kind of agree, but still make the chat packet dropped and I think one warning is enough. After the first time it should fire off. Every week this counter resets. Also I think group and PM's should be allowed, I don't really care about curses in groups or PM's as long as both people are okay with it. Just that town chat is for everyone, same with supporter, res, and local :)
  8. Well with brickstrike said, everyone will make a mistake. I once actually repeated something that was inappropriate for chat. 1 warning could get me perma banned. The 1 warning could tell me, DON'T DO IT. Also, if a new member tries to cap spam with this idea, he will be flooded with warning till he is auto temp banned.
  9. If somebody lacks the common sense to figure out that caps spams aren't allowed I don't think they belong here..
  10. Well that is where you are kind of wrong. Be truthful, have you accidentally one time hit the caps button? I have lol. I have one time misspelled a word when I was trying to spell its, if you remember lol :p

The 3 Strike Thing will stop the 1st accident, and stop the 2nd purpose really.
  11. It's not okay and I'm never going to claim otherwise. But nor will I say that forced censorship is the answer - which is what you're proposing.
    Chat lag is a minor issue and I'm not going to say one way or the other (mostly because I don't have the server data to say definitively). And if your question of "does it REALLY matter" pertains only to seeing miscreants removed from EMC, than no I suppose from that perspective it doesn't.

But be honest - which do you feel better about? Being constrained by a programmed response, or knowing there's an actual person looking out for the server's wellbeing? Don't you throw up a little cheer when you see a kick or banhammer come down to met out well-deserved justice? And let's not forget how ea5y it is to c1rcumvent a fiIter anyway... :rolleyes:
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. To be honest, I am perfectly fine with that. Everyone here should know that by playing on the server, since chat isn't censored or restricted, there is the possibility of running into profanity. There is no innocence factor here. EMC is set up to benefit the majority, while still attempting to please both them and the minority. That is where the staff team comes into play. Why should my (referring to the majority) playing experience be made less enjoyable so that the very few < 13 year olds who are disturbed by profanity be over protected? Aikar has said in the past that a chat filter would cause much more lag than you would think, which is one of the main reasons why there isn't one.
    Kephras likes this.
  13. Profanity is a huge problem and can be unbelievably annoying. Although I believe that there should be no profanity in town chat at all, forced server censorship isn't the best. As others pointed out it is extremely easy to get around with a weak system but a strong system could be overpowering and people will still get around it. There is also the lag that will be caused by checking every single message. A better solution? Maybe the player (or their parents) should take the responsibility of stopping spam. They can either go to the extreme of keeping chat off or maybe install a mod to stop spam. The Empire caters to many so there comes a point when you need to find a way to solve the problem on your own instead of relying on a huge server to solve it for you.
    Kephras likes this.
  14. The Empire is suppose to be PG13 and under, not R or MA. I am really tired of the idiot that come on this server when they are new and start spamming and yelling in the chat with vulgarly and don't care.
  15. http://www.mpaa.org/ratings/what-each-rating-means
  16. There isn't enough "this" on the internet for... this. I was actually going to come back and edit my post, but I think you nailed it already.

To put it another way, Haro, I absolutely respect what you're trying for here. Do kids need to be subjected to epithets, foul language, and bad behavior? Of course not. But when do you decide they're "grown" enough to hear it? And how will they know it's wrong unless someone teaches them?

Kids don't suddenly grow up all at once - it happens every day, a little at a time, and parents need to be there to guide them, teach them right from wrong, good from bad, and keep their moral compass pointed in the right direction. I'll never say it's a good thing to cuss or set a bad example for a child, but instead of simply stamping your foot and declaring "this should not be!," it should be an opportunity to educate - to say "Sometimes people act badly. That doesn't make it okay." And when a mod swoops down and delivers a banhammer to the offending individual? They're filling that role. They're saying "This is not acceptable." And if little Johnny wants to know why **** is so bad, the mod can tell him. Or someone else within earshot. No matter how safe, soft, and child-friendly you make it, the world will always have its hard edges and sharp corners - something kids will discover sooner or later anyway.

My favorite saying has always been, "Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day. Light him on fire, he'll be warm for life." It's an amusing twist on the "teach a man to fish" adage, but the point is the same - a little education will go a lot further than direct intervention. You can't force someone to behave (unless you're Anthony Burgess, I suppose) but you can always offer them guidance.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  17. Heres my view on why i wouldnt want this.

1. it helps us weed people out early

2. if we prevent the baddies from acting out in a way the doesnt cause much harm, they may end up griefing and or find other more harmfuls ways of acting out
    jkjkjk182, wisepsn, xHaro_Der and 2 others like this.