[Suggestion] Bed Spawn Removal Command

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AvocadoMatt, Feb 23, 2015.

?

Do you think this should be an update to the Empire?

This would be a great addition! 24 vote(s) 92.3%
I don't think it would be that useful. 2 vote(s) 7.7%
  1. This wouldn't be a kill command, you're only deleting the information of your last set bed spawn point. You still have to kill yourself in doing this, and maybe some don't want to necessarily kill themselves but just remove their last bed spawn point cause they don't like the location of where it was at and don't have a nearby bed, sheep, et cetera to use.
    The idea of also having a command that tells you the coordinates and world of where you last slept is also a great idea! =) (May I have permission to add that into the OP?)

2. so they are going to unset their bed and what? not set a new one at all? i dont see the purpose of unsetting your bed if you dont want to go to town. if you set a new one, you will probably die eventually, which will bring you back to town anyways. logically there is no reason to unset it without the intention of returning because if you are "eventually" going to set a new one wouldnt you want to be close anyways? and if you arent youll end up in town. and if you are going to eventually set one yourself then see my first response....pls explain cause i dont see a reason to not include kill in this
    jkrmnj likes this.
  3. There are times where people could be in an event where they don't want to respawn in a base very far out (Or in a random residence at town, because they'd rather respawn at the outpost of the event) and need to kill themselves again, y'know by forgetting to sleep in a bed that someone brought or if no one brought a bed and you had to run back to the event. Plus giving them a kill eliminates another large aspect of the Vanilla Survival that EMC tries to keep, yes there would still be the challenge of needing to kill yourself to respawn, and you don't put the cost of other's lives and times at risk by killing the bed and instead using the command removing only your spawn point to it. This is mainly for convenience for yourself and others without adding the death via command to it, because as I said earlier, that would be removing a good aspect of Vanilla Survival.
    PenguinDJ and AnonReturns like this.
  4. May I ask how this works?
    AnonReturns likes this.
  5. I really like this bunk bed method.

Best Features:
    Two beds and no need for anyone to break either of them.
    Several people can share.
    Set lower bed to respawn here after you die.
    Set upper bed to respawn in town after you die.
    So, no more people moving your bed.
    No more need to place, set, break a bed at your base.

To make this bunk bed:
    1. Find a spot on the floor for your bed (Not on half slabs, it has to be on full blocks)
    At a minimum, you need 2 normal solid floor blocks for the bed and more than one normal solid floor block right next to the bed for you to reliably respawn at.
    2. You actually have to place the top bed first, so put 2 temporary blocks (dirt) where the lower bed will be, then place your top bed, then break the 2 temporary blocks under the top bed.
    3. Place the lower bed under the top bed.
    4. stand on one of the normal solid floor blocks next to your bed and right-click the lower bed to set your spawn here, so after you die you respawn at your base.
    5. If you want to respawn in town, then right-click the upper bed to respawn in town after you die.

How/why does the bunk bed work:
    For a bed to work it has to be on two normal solid floor blocks with at least one normal solid floor block right next to it that has 2 air blocks over it, so a 2-tall player can respawn there.
    I now recommend having ~5 normal solid floor blocks right next to the lower bed, to help make sure you Reliably respawn there.
    If there is not at least one normal solid block right next to the bed with 2 air blocks over that block, then the bed is considered "obstructed" and after you die, you respawn in town, because your bed does not work.

Warning for newbies:
    When you die and respawn in town, the items and armor you were carrying will be where you died, so you will be in town with nothing and not able to get back to your items fast. Thankfully you can keep your Enderchest contents, so that is a good place to put armor before you die to get to town, or die to get to your base.
  6. I like the idea. Even if there are other simple, Vanilla ways, I think this would be a great time-saving feature that a lot of players would use. :) I, for example, spawn in the Empire Pool every time I die on SMP1. :p News flash: I locked my swimming trunks away back at the beginning of fall!
  7. wouldnt not having to break the bed also be removing a vanilla aspect? i feel like you are trying to not have your cake but rest it on your proverbial lap. you are saying add a command to remove a vanilla feature but not add the according command that is the whole reason for this command in the first place. and again you never explained how exactly anyone would be using this command that does not at the very least eventually intend to return to town...
  8. Yes, that this command would be removing a Vanilla aspect, I know what I said was slightly contradicting. Although the beds are more of an inconvenience where, as I've stated before, it could be deemed quite hard for one to find the proper materials to create a new bed to destroy. The point of the command is more so to not disrupt other people's time and lives by destroying the bed and having EVERYONE who has previously slept in it to come back and re-sleep, plus leaving one or more people behind who didn't see the chat of, "Hey, I broke the bed you'll need to re-sleep". I did describe a scenario in the first sentence of my previous comment;
  9. Yeah, sure, go ahead. :)

Okay, I see your point: the vast majority of the times when people would use this command would be immediately followed by them jumping into some water, lava, a cactus, off a cliff, etc., to kill themselves, but these are two separate actions nonetheless. You shouldn't be forced to die immediately after deleting your spawn point, you should be free to do these things separately, even if one is often right after the other. No other command does two totally different things in a row like that; that sounds more like macro/keybind script territory to me.

Besides, there could be situations where you want to delete your spawn point in preparation for the next time you die, but don't necessarily want to die right away, like, as MasterDude13 said, when at a death event of some kind, or maybe you're in the wild, fairly close to an outpost, and you're just playing normally, with some friends, and you remember that on that server your spawn point is set to a base you live(d) at, but don't want to be at right now, and think, "There's a good chance I'll die, probably a few times, so I guess I should delete my spawn point there, so I can just run back from the nearby outpost. My friends are in the vicinity, so these chunks will stay loaded after I die, meaning I have no time to waste getting back here and picking up my stuff." Obviously the situations I could come up with would be very specific, so not exactly daily occurrences, but still feasible.

So now we would be talking about having two commands: "/bedspawn remove" and "/kill". However, the suggestion was only ever about "/bedspawn remove", and how it would help for situations where you're not at your bed and/or other people use your bed and/or you don't have materials to make another bed and/or you don't have time to get the materials and make one. The "/kill" command would be a separate suggestion, which has probably been suggested in the past, and I don't know if people would want it to be added as much. People could just use it in situations having nothing to do with deleting their previous bed spawn points, and there's probably some way they could abuse it. Then again, it's pretty easy to kill oneself, so it wouldn't really change the game much, so I don't know what I think about it yet. I just think that's a separate discussion, is all.
    AnonReturns and MasterDude13 like this.
  10. Edited the OP with your idea and gave proper credit =)
  11. ahhh there we go, i just couldnt think of a real need to seperate them. and that large run on sentence confused my adhd so i skipped it. i only mentioned the kill command because it seemed like an integral part of what this was trying to accomplish. then, as i thought about it i couldnt see a reason for them to be seperate.

all in all im still in the firm belief that you should just make another bed (since that is what you would have to do to set a different spawn anyways in vanilla) but i can see where /kill wouldnt need to be included