[Suggestion] A way to obtain (pacified) neutral and hostile mobs for Town Residences

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Paranoid_Android, Jan 13, 2018.

1. While looking through the already suggested ideas I saw that being able to eggify hostile mobs was already denied. While this might imply no hostile or neutral mobs in town, I didn't see this explicitly stated, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and suggest this.

As a builder, I see the potential that mobs have in adding atmosphere to various creations, as well as ways they can spice up the life of a residence. To give some simple examples, a spooky build could have undead mobs wandering about, a cave could have a bunch of spiders crawling around, or maybe shops could have specialized stalls being watched over by enderman or witches. Besides general atmosphere, many of these mobs could also make great "pets" or displays. How about an adorable little slime hanging around your house? Or silverfish in a detailed terrarium? Or maybe guardians chilling in an aquarium?

The normally hostile mobs would of course be nonaggressive within town.

As an alternative to egging I thought it might be possible to have promos that could summon them, similarly to snow golems. The downside is that there are a lot of neutral and hostile mobs that could potentially be added, and this would be a rather slow means of obtaining them. On the other hand this would allow staff to more slowly consider what mobs to add to town.

I have the suspicion that there are issues to this suggestion existing behind the scenes, either with code or EMC preferences. As a result my idea is almost more of an inquiry as to whether we will ever be allowed to have neutral and hostile mobs on our residences in the future. I won't be too surprised if this gets denied, but the build potential here made me have to ask.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  2. its been suggested in multiple ways and denied in the past. im sure aikar has plans for promos down the line but i dont think being able to capture mobs in any way is on the docket
  3. I like the idea but I'm not necessarily a fan.

Sure I agree, it would definitely be nice if we could do that. Just like we currently can with the snow golumns. But on the other end it would also make this whole thing a lot less special. Over time this would be just as common as the snow golem is right now, and that would be a shame.

So quite frankly I think it might be best to leave this feature reserved for (senior) staff events. Because if it doesn't happen often then it will always be something special.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  4. I feel like mobs going from nonexistant to possibly a bit common in town wouldn't take away from their value, as it is about what the player decides to do with them. I don't see snow golems everywhere across town, and they complement some snow builds very well.

As for senior staff events, that's what made me realize hostile mobs can exist in town (as in peaceful difficulty wasn't an issue). However those events only revolve around combat, while neutral/hostile mobs on a residence would be for aesthetics, not fighting.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  5. As you stated, this suggestion has been denied in the past, and as far as I am aware, there is still no intention to add this to EMC. EMC's priority is to remain close to a vanilla gameplay style, and tamed aggressive mobs would not fit in that style. It would be cool to fill a Haunted Mansion I built in town with spiders, but that also defeats the purpose of being a vanilla server.
  6. *french vanilla
    JDHallows likes this.