[Suggestion] 2 Actually: Custom Map Imports & Anarchy

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by ChrysosHypno, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Sounds like fun, doesn't it. =)

I looked these up in the list of proposed changes and didn't see them.
    If either of these are server-side changes forgive me, I'm not a programmer.

1. Custom Maps
    This would (in my opinion) make the server unique and vastly increase membership.
    Basically allow custom-made maps (that are basically pictures made when you're off the server)
    to be imported to EMC servers.

2. Anarchy (baby yeah !)
    Allow one (or all) waste lands to be Anarchy Zones.
    The waste gets reset periodically anyway, why not make it into an anarchy zone ?
    We can start off with only one of the smp's waste land, to see how it would fare.
    To be clear I hold the definition of Anarchy to be such that whatever happens there goes, no rules, except for hacking.
    The regular hacking and modding prohibitions would still be in effect.
    Effectively making the wastelands into what the label (wastelands) really means: The Wild West, ... The No Man's Lands.

This would increase membership, popularity on the web, and provide a place in EMC for users to vent their wild ( and sometimes destructive ) energies until they feel safe enough to settle down into the wonderful and peaceful community that is EMC. :) Also it would give regulars a place to go experience some wildness to break up the monotony of building, buying and selling, looking after their properties in the frontier, doing repairs and maintenance, etc.

A moderator I mentioned this idea to the other day said it would "destroy the EMC culture". I guess she meant that members would all turn violent and belligerent like a pack of cannibal wendigos, however I think that's a little exaggerated. Also I am of the opinion that wouldn't happen. People on EMC have a long history of being peaceful.
    And actually allowing a space for them to vent or "let it all hang loose" would get rid of that contentious energy.

If anything, even if you don't buy those arguments, I think it would be a missed opportunity if we didn't try it.
    If things go sideways Aikar can easily change the wastelands back into the safe-zones they are today.

If Aikar documents everything daily, or weekly, how things evolve, he could publish the results and get peer-reviewed in any major sociology or psychology department. All you have to do is find a desperate post-grad (shouldn't be hard to do) to process your data and results. Sign a waiver. All that.

Who said gathering resources for free in the wastelands should be easy ?
    The fun of the game is in the challenge.
    And gathering resources in the Wild West is exactly what will give players that memorable extra "zest".
    Daynsyy likes this.
  2. Don't really have an opinion on the maps

The anarchy thing is ridiculous, it's been proposed in the past and denied. EMC is advertised as no griefing, no PVP. Don't ya think this entire idea goes against that?

You said a staff member said it would "destroy the EMC culture" and I couldn't agree more. EMC's community is built around trust, if someone feels the need to go blow up some poor new persons build in the waste then are they trustworthy?

Griefing will never be allowed on any of the EMC servers. Ever.
    crystaldragon13 and Carbonyx like this.
  3. Trust ? lol,
    Aren't you over-reacting just a bit ?
    Remember, this is still just a game.

What's the difference if it gets bown up or destroyed by the reset ?
    Everyone knows their builds in the wastelands are pointless.
    That's why most don't build there to begin with.
    And those that do (like me, many times over) understand that you WILL
    lose everything there.

And that's ok.
    Because it teaches you to "let go", and not take everything in life so seriously.
    This is a deep Buddhist Philosophy.
    Nothing in Life is permanent.
    We should live our lives closer to that truth.
  4. I think the Dystopia Server is as close as you will get to your 2nd suggestion, and that is already in the works, so I don't think this alone would be implemented. Some of your ideas, however, may actually be part of what is to come with the Dystopia Server.

Read up on the Dystopia Server Here : https://empireminecraft.com/threads/dystopia.1645/

Ascertain the validity of the Dystopia Server as being something to really be implemented here : https://empireminecraft.com/wiki/already-suggested-servers-and-plugins/

As you can see it is in pink which is denoted by : "Pink indicates suggestion accepted and pending being added to EMC."

So I guess my post is to make you aware of the upcoming Dystopia Server, and to recommend focusing these kinds of ideas on how to make it a better success in the future. It sounds like you got some great brainstorming going on there, but as Rundercaster alluded to above, the idea in of itself probably doesn't fit well with EMC. I hope this Dystopia server helps you get those wheels turning again.

As for the custom maps - Schematica is already in place and works great. (Keep printer option off though) ;)

Yes, I know this requires some manual labor, but it can be done and could also promote great teamwork. :)
  5. KnightZerOne,

Also, where's a nice flat place to build a map ( using schematica ) ?

I reckon it'd be hard to find a place large enough and flat enough
  6. Utopia residence
  7. Not big enough. Need 128x128.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  8. Maps can be made in the wild or waste. I have made a few for /v +baa and also my 'Logo'. They are limited per server (SMP) - but can be made on each in desired.

We have /pvp for those needing to scratch the itch. Agree with some of above - EMC is a collection of people working together - not apart.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  9. For suggestion #2, no, just no. EMC is no pvp and griefing, (which is why I play here). Allowing these two things will destroy the community. Where did you get the idea that the community would like it? It goes against two of the main things people like about EMC.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  10. No and no.

1: The server is survival, not creative.
    2: This goes against the very base fundamentals of EMC. There are talks about VERY far in the future having a 'Dystopia' that will likely address your reasons, albeit not exactly, but that's a ways off.