Starcraft Remastered!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by JDHallows, Apr 19, 2017.

?

Choose all the options that best suit you:

Starcraft is one of my favorite games 2 vote(s) 33.3%
Starcraft is ok 1 vote(s) 16.7%
I dont like/Never played Starcraft 2 vote(s) 33.3%
I am going to download and play Starcraft right now! 2 vote(s) 33.3%
I will probably play the Starcraft update soon, when I have time 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Starcraft Remastered looks awesome, I can't wait until Summer! 2 vote(s) 33.3%
What is Starcraft? 2 vote(s) 33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. One of my favorite games of all time is Starcraft Broodwar. This 1998 game held my attention for many years, and I still play it on occasion. My grandpa is actually the person who introduced this game to me, and one of my favorite activities is to go over and play this game with him, still.

So, Starcraft Broodwar fans got some great news recently. This Summer, Blizzard is releasing Starcraft Remastered. They are taking this awesome game, and remaking the graphics and sounds for today's computers, where it will actually be able to play at 4k.

In the meantime though, for the first time in 8 years they have released an update for the original Starcraft Broodwar game. This patch fixes many of the known bugs in the game, and even allows it to run on macOS 10.11. The best part, is they also made the original game free!

So just head here and you can download and play this classic game, and take a look at the Remastered edition coming out this Summer: https://starcraft.com/en-us/
    MoeMacZap, ShelLuser and Tah2 like this.
  2. I'm a little skeptic with the remastering, but that's merely because you see too many companies and studios trying to sell their stuff once again. This is also why I didn't buy into the previous "reboot" of the games.

For me there's 1 very important detail here: will this remake also include a revamped (and better?) game editor or not; personally I'm very skeptic about that but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I spend plenty of hours with Starcraft but not just the game: also scripting and designing new levels and sharing those with others. You could even create whole scenario's (= multiple levels which could tell a full multi-part story). That's what made these games great for me: it wasn't merely playing the game, it was also about making your own games.

Of course without any spoken words, but meh, small price to pay :)
    MoeMacZap and JDHallows like this.
  3. Indeed, I loved the custom maps aspect of the game, and I would be happily surprised if they update and improve the campaign editor as well. From what I have seen though, it seems to be a simple refresh for the game, and not changing much. However, I am reigning in my hopes a bit, because we don't know yet what all they are changing. But the pictures they have released so far look pretty cool.
    Also, online multiplayer has been more active then I have seen it in a long time, so it was fun playing that for a few hours yesterday (lots of nostalgia :p ).
    MoeMacZap likes this.