Squid super powers, or am I losing my mind.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Masterkism, Nov 3, 2017.

1. While out gathering parrot eggs I killed a squid and it dropped a head. Having been away from game for almost 2 years squid heads were a new thing. I already had a minor need for a source of ink sacks, so the heads just cemented my next farm project. I did a little research, then went out to a desert to play around with design ideas, I cleared out an area between Y level 45 and 63. there I started experimenting with platforms at various heights, with water at 1 depth, then 2, source blocks, and running water and no matter what I did, regardless of my proximity to the water nor how long I spent (up to 60 minutes) in and around the area not a single squid spawned. Frustrated, I change plans and go to expend my guardian farm. While there I notice a large number of squid spawning in the ocean just outside the guardian farm. New idea, I'll ring my guardian farm with a squid farm of a similar design. Basic concept = A floor sloping down to a central area with running water forcing the mobs to the lower central area, 2 -3 blocks above that a layer of fence gates, in the open position, and finally a single layer of water source blocks at the top of the farm flowing downward pushing any spawns to the bottom through the open fence gates into the water streams to their eventual deaths. So I start building a 23 block wide ring around the guardian farm. Construction done time to remove and replace the water. I build an Illmango flying machine water removal system I verify and re-verify the build then I start is and it doesn't work the return mechanism has a piston and detector that fire in reverse order on the Empire servers than they do in a creative world. Built it 4 times on the servers all failed in the same way, built once in creative works great. Ok, no biggie I know how to use sand, and using fence gates makes sand easier to clean up afterwards. I get about 1/8 of the entire area cleared and re-watered. As I'm clearing the next portion of the farm a single squid spawns in the completed area. and it is unaffected by the mass of downward flowing water that it just spawned in. Sitting stationary as if it were in source blocks rather than downward flowing water. After roughly 15 minutes it finally swims down into the open fence gates and drops into the water stream at the bottom, where it continues to ignore the flowing water. Now I know I have come across bodies of water out in the wastelands and wilds with flowing water and have seen many a squid caught in that flowing water, unable to swim against it, destined to breath to death when the flow of water forces them to the edge of the water. Has something changed, am I losing my mind, are my squid super powered, does anyone have any plans for a squid farm, manual kill, that works on Empire servers?

P.S.
    The guardians are still subject to water physics, they get pushed down, then to the center like they always have.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  2. can't believe i read all that, but i have no clue what an ill mango flying machine is so i don't think i can help
  3. Hey MasterKism,

While I am not an actual farm builder, I do like to research stuff and try to help people. What I do know of the situation it sounds to me like there should be no need for flowing water. Simply set up a system where they will descend on their own into an empty area without water and then they will suffocate. I found a nifty video on youtube that shows a similar build. Check it out here

As for why they were not spawning, I am not sure, maybe as the guy in the video suggests, there could have been some nearby, or the max entity limit for that area was already reached. You can check the number of entities by using entcount and I believe 250 is the max in the wild.

Good Luck in your endeavor.

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
  4. Here are some general hints -

- EMC is quite different than SP due to many modifications with intention to reduce lag and reduce possibility of glitches.
    - E.g. 1-tick pulses won't work as in SP, any redstone contraption that relies on them won't work
    - Mob spawning is also tweaked / heavily nerfed.
    - Mob spawning depends not only on the situation in the vicinity but also on the total mob count on the server. It is good to test when the server is empty, like on Mondays after 9 UTC or so.
    - Mob activity is heavily reduced if there is no player in vicinity (32 blocks radius? or 64?) That could explain squid not moving - if you were far enough from it.
  5. hint one....sqiud entc limit is global and unique....so don't build on smp8 waste or wild. at least not any time soon.

hint two...use noprotectmode for the moses machine. get a mod to remove all protected blocks in the flight path, including air.
    ChumMiner likes this.
  6. A lot has changed with squids over time, including their spawn rates. It used to be that there couldn't be more than 5 (from the top of my head) within a "several chunk wide" area but that has changed over time. Right now there are no specific global limitations anymore with regards to spawning (in vanilla anyway).

Also: squids are unaffected by moving water. So it's not because squids are super powerful, but that's just the current game mechanic.

Source of info: the wiki page on squids.