Spleef Arena!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zanderboy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. I did not know that it could work that way. So if it was in say, the arenas server, and you won rupees that way, you would have those rupees in the main server?

And I understand that there are more important thing for the server that Justin is doing, but I also think that this could bring in a whole new crowd, and give the main server a new popularity. Cause like I said, people don't want to have to jump between servers to do stuff like that, and it would be much easier to just have it in the main town because of accessibility and more people would learn of it and see it.

And on the whole not manually repairing the field, I already bought 400 snow blocks for 1000r :(
  2. I agree that this is a good idea. Spleef is awesome, and is something I think would attract people. As Justin did say, I think that if he created or modified an existing plugin for our arena server, that would be the best option. I did setup a few spleef games in our current server (once high above the Community Pool) and it took quite some time to reset the game each time we wanted to re-do it. Even if you had volunteers, we couldn't officially advertise it, because when you do that, you WILL get swarms of people at once, and if they can't play NOW, they will leave.

When we first launched the arena (publicly) we got a rush of about 30-40 people at once. If we had to have people ready to re-setup each game for everyone, it would have been very impossible to do. A Spleef arena without being able to be rebuilt automatically between rounds would be a disaster in that kind of situation...which a plugin would completely solve.

I think with the right ideas, we can make Arenas as popular as our main server is growing. We could incorporate a lot of things over time in there, like the current PVE, maybe some PVP at some point and as we're discussing, Spleef. :)
    Ahzrael likes this.
  3. Oh so you are wanting to rebuild the arena every match? Who determines who the winner is?
  4. The team that is left standing is the winner.
  5. I think he's referring to a referee role. I imagine a plugin could take care of that too.
  6. Well, it looks to me like the Admins and Mods have made the decision. It will not be built in town, there for I am sorry to tell fluffinator09 and Green_Mystery that this project will not be built by us. I hope that it doesn't turn out to be a mistake that the Admins and Mods regret when they realize that after the first massive wave of people that joined the Arenas server, has not happened since. That server has pretty much been forgotten about.

Now just to make a few last arguments, if you had read basic spleef rules, then you would realize the losing team would have to repair the field. Also, with the plugins that reset the field, would it not be a fairly simple and easy matter to put that plugin into the main server and set up the spleef arena with it, because you already have all that scripting done and ready.

One last argument, one of the reasons I wanted it in the main town and players in the main town to build it, not just Admins, Mods, Gold, and diamond supporters to build it is because we have so many people who play the server but can't support it with money, so they are not allowed to build an arena in the arena server. This would be there arena, a great accomplishment that THEY made happen with the resources that THEY collected. It would give them pride to know it was built legitly, by themselves, and that they could take pride in it.

But like I said at the beginning, the decision seems to have already been made, so this is where I will stop.

Your's Truly,
    zanderboy
  7. Don't jump to conclusions, we were just discussing things.

We love expanding the Empire and adding new things. You just have to understand with a server our size (and quality) much planning has to go into changes. Servers that make changes off the cuff end up with problems.

In particular here are some of the challenges we would have to overcome to build arena(s) in Town:
    • Who would be invited to help build it? How is it fair if we let a few people build it but not others? I know that at least 50 people will want to.
    • Who has permissions to build in the arena? If everyone can build, what keeps random people from griefing the hell out of it?
    • If you create a system where people can only replace the floor, what keeps them from putting obsidian blocks down? What keeps them from building while playing?
    • What keeps random people from jumping in during a match? (don't say fences cause you can easily block jump over stuff)
    • How is it going to be moderated, who is going to referee it? I GUARANTEE you that every 5 minutes it is going to be "Admin, player123 cheated, admin it is my turn to play, admin player456 didn't build the floor back when he was done, admin admin admin".
    • How do we "give" resources to build and rebuild the floor without hurting the SMP aspect of the game?
    • If we use a plugin to make up for the problems above, how is it going to effect the performance of the server in the already very busy Town?
    Again, I LIKE the spleef idea. I am just trying to paint a picture of just a few of things we have to solve.

Now yes the arena server is not busy right now. But that is on purpose, it is all beta software that I was testing and slowly making improvements on. We have lots of things planned like earning rupees in matches (that yes carry over to the main server). The reason the arenas is on it's own server is that their is no need for it to be on the same server (you don't need your inventory, etc). We have not put any marketing effort behind arenas yet, but when we do it will be just as popular as the main server (if not more because it is very unique), the main server was also not popular even 30 days ago.

I do believe that spleef is a good candidate for the arenas server (or even its own server), because it allows us to run beta custom plugins without impacting the performance of the main server (the most important thing to me). The arenas in the arenas server were all built by supporters of the community, and spleef could work the same way.

I will continue to look into spleef, we are currently addressing other things and we cant do everything at once. I hope this answer satisfies you, and I appreciate your enthusiasm to improve the Empire :)
    ZerreissenDirge and Ahzrael like this.
    1. Like I said in my original post on the thread, people who want to help build the arena can post in this thread and I would add them to a list. Two people posted, so at the moment there are three people allowed to build it, me, Green_Mystery and fluffinator09.
    2. Only the people from the list I am putting together would have permission, and no one else.
    3. Contestant will be the only ones allowed to affect blocks while a match is on, and they will only be allowed to bring a shovel to the match. They must leave the rest of there inventory in a chest or whatever at there res'. Once the match is ended, the losing side would be provided with the materials to repair the floor from the Arena Storage area, and then they would need to return the excess materials that they were given to repair it. We could even make it so both sides would have to help repair after the matches just to make it go faster.
    4. We could make a glass partition between the stands and the arena floor, say 4 high. If you need an example, look at hockey arenas with the glass walls around the rink.
    5. Matches would Refereed by me or the other people who helped build the arena. We would lay out some very specific rules that would say, just as an example, that no one is allowed to complain about the outcome of a match, that if the referee see's any cheating, they will investigate.
    6. You would not give resources, they would be non of that. I have already collected over 400 blocks of snow already, and I preparing to go on an expedition to get more, and I am also going to be buying snow as well.
    7. I am unsure on how it would effect the performance of the main town, as I have very little experience with plugins.
  8. What keeps someone from taking everything from the "arena storage area" or breaking down the glass during the match? You say only the list you are putting together would have permission, how can anyone else play if they can't break blocks?
  9. During the match, the contestant will be flagged as being able to break blocks, so that they can play the match of spleef. They will not be given direct access to the arena storage area, the referee would give them the supplies from the storage area to repair the field. As for breaking the glass, the people watching would not be flagged with anything, all they would be able to do is buy from the shops at the front of the arena, and walk around, unable to break or place. As for the contestants, what would be the point. The glass would be two blocks above them, so they wouldn't be able to get through a hole they made in the glass even if they wanted to. Also, there would be no point because that would give the other person, or team, enough time to break the blocks under them will they tried to break the glass and get in the stands.
  10. Ok, me and Justin have come to a compromise. I will just say that both party's are happy. Once he decides it is time to start the project, everyone will be told what is happening with it if he so chooses. Now I am going to ask that the next admin or mod that reads this post, please close the thread!
  11. I'm just popping in to say I think it would be easier to build and play Spleef in the Arena server. We can't just rely on random people to rebuild the floor every match. It just makes sense to give it it's own arena in the Arena server.

Also, Building the spleef arena in town would increase the traffic of the already popular Main Server. That's not necessarily a good thing.
  12. Like I said Green_Mystery, we cam to a compromise. The arena, if and when it is built, will be on the arena server. That is all I am going to say, and to deter people from talking about it further, no more information will be given until the project has started.
  13. Whos going to help build it?
  14. I guess you and Green_Mystery deserve to know that since it will be on the arena server, only mods, admins, gold and diamond supporters will be able to build it, though i have been given special permission to help build it once the project starts.