SOPA & PIPA Support or Against

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dmitchell, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Do You Support or Appose SOPA & PIPA

Support 4 vote(s) 12.5%
Appose 28 vote(s) 87.5%
  1. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I never tried to convince anyone one way or the other. All I said in other threads was be careful about buying into what you have "heard" in the media or from the popular opinions of others. Everyone pushing either side of the issue has an agenda. Read the bills in their entirety, think about it, ask yourself why companies like Wikipedia and Google are so against it (if Google was trying to protect an open web they wouldn't cater to China the way they do). And ask who are the ones pushing for the legislation and why. All the movements you see online for the internet blackout had a ton of money put behind them from groups with an agenda (and they did a great job btw), just like the people pushing the bills in Washington.

I challenge everyone, on any issue, stop immediately when you hear a "fact" and ask, is this source biased, what is their agenda? Then take the time to research the REAL facts and information from a non biased perspective.
  2. This is very good advice, too often people jump on the bandwagon because what they hear on the grapevine and is often inaccurate and sometimes plain wrong.
    JustinGuy likes this.
  3. Lets not forget that in the US the president does NOT have the final say. He can veto a bill but then Congress can override a presidential veto by having a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and Senate. Checks and balances :)
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  4. another chapter in the lessons of life from JustinGuy
  5. lmao, I honestly don't want to use EMC to push my own agenda on anyone :)
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  6. Full of great advice. i will say i have read both bills and i still appose them. they way i interpreted them they could be a big threat to the internet and small businesses. as i am trying to start a company this would pose a threat to my company. I prefer to know the real facts before i jump in and after reading these bills even though i support the intent to stop piracy i believe these bills would give the government a power that they would over abuse. this abuse of the power could lead the bills to be taken to far. the government and companies already have the right to stop piracy they just don't. and putting the blame on the web owner for user content is not right. If a user posted piracy they should be the one sued not the website unless the purpose of the website is piracy. Giving the government the right to block or shut down a website could cause a massive impact on online commerce. YouTube which generates millions of dollars would be shut down along with Facebook and twitter. This would greatly reduce the governments income from taxes, and if other countries followed suit other countries could abuse the power. That is my view on these bills and why i dont want them to pass
  7. Great video here :)

dmitchell likes this.
  8. AMEN!
    MR2R2M likes this.
  9. The idea of SOPA and PIPA are both nice on paper, but once put into play it will unleash a flurry of unintended consequences thanks to ambiguous writing and the way it will kill almost every site on the internet. Because let's face it, every website in existence has at least a little shred of what is considered someone else's "Intellectual property".
    gazbby likes this.
  10. After watching TotalBiscuit talk about it, I now officially oppose SOPA and PIPA!
  11. Then almost everyone's cobblegen is illegal lol
  12. I dont take side. Cos i dont really know in-depth about it :p
  13. Well, I am a bit iffy as to where I stand with this, I might just do a Greenland and sit on the fence :D
  14. I completely Oppose SOPA/PIPA. People on the internet should be able to do whatever they want.
  15. F*ck you SOPA and PIPA!!!
    For whoever with a couple braincells this is a complete fault to the privacy and it's useless.

The idea of SOPA and PIPA is to give the U.S.A. Goverment the 'right' to spy over our internet surfing, wich i don't go with.

Also, U.S.A. bring's it as it only applies for U.S.A. Websites, Hosts and others [...] But, it will mess with the whole world, not only because there are lots of servers located at U.S.A. but also, because the goverment will make pressure over companies that pay for the publicy (biggest one - google).
  16. fact:
    the people who made megaupload and the file share software are the same people who made sopa.
  17. I do agree with you on the first statement. The people who support the bill, haven't even used a computer before! When I saw a couple of minutes of them talking about the bill, they asked one of the congressman what he thought about it. He said that he has never used a computer before, but he supports the bill due to copyright issues and so forth. I was dumbfounded when he said that! Why even get involved when you haven't even used a f**king computer!?

On the second statement, the government is watching what the US is doing online. For example; if you're online talking to a friend who says he's - I don't know, 16 years old - and sends you a naked picture of himself. You can delete that, you can block him, you can report him, but somewhere on the internet is that picture. The government can go back to that, see who sent it, who reseaved it and can arest you, even if you didn't do anything!

Sorry, just had to put that out there. Lol.
  18. Indeed, but i believe that with SOPA and PIPA they will get a 100% over the internet and will be able to see whatever you do with it.

I believe this is a huge way to insult a pretty basic right wich is the privacy right.
    With SOPA and PIPA they whant the ISP's to controll all that WE do, and to make logs of every package sent and recieved from each of the internet users, wich pretty much means that if you are chatting with your GF and talking about private stuff, like kisses, hugs and others your ISP will be obligated to check each one of those packages you or her send.

What if she decides to send u a photo, only you and her must see?
    Will it pass the copyright filter or it will stop because it's a picture?

I don't know, this are just examples...

Also, by making ISP's check each package, the internet will slow down a Sh*tload, because the process will now have one more step to move trough the internet.

Before: Your pc <----> your isp <----> Server Hoster or direct server
    After: Your pc <----> your isp <----> your isp filter for copyrighted info <----> Server hoster or direct server

Here a quick vid for you guys to learn more about SOPA and PIPA:

19. :confused: What green stuff are you smoking?
    Why in hell would someone give up on his billions?