[SMP2] Zombie & Skeleton waste grinder

Discussion in 'Share Your EMC Creations' started by ShelLuser, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Skeleton section in front, Zombie at the back...

I'm going to post more details and the "making off..." later this week, but for now I'd like to share that AyanamiKun & me have finished our mob grinder project in the SMP2 Wastelands. Here you'll get treated to both Skeletons & Zombies which you can kill for XP and goodies (rotten flesh and bones & arrows).

Note: At the time of writing there seems to be a small problem with the skeleton spawner. Although it does spawn skeletons it's horribly slow. I'm still looking into that, I think the room where the spawner is located might have ended up a bit too small.

How to reach

Do /waste e on SMP2 and just walk right ahead, you should see something like this:

Enter the yellow brick road and look immediately on your left, the entrance is right next to the outpost.

Entrance to the mob grinder....

Go all the way down and you'll end up in a corridor, walk into it and you'll soon see the skeleton & zombie sections.

How does it work?

Simple really: wait near the drop section and you should soon be greeted with zombies and skeletons dropping down. The best area to wait is right at the end of the corridor, in front of the zombie section. There you'll be close to both spawners, so both will spawn in mobs. I'll mark the most optimal place using wool or something soon enough.

Due to the layout of the skeleton room it is possible that a skeleton ends up getting 'stuck' on top of the spawner. Because of that it can help to press the button next to the skeleton section every once in a while, this will activate a piston which pushes the skeleton(s) back into the water stream.

If you kill skeletons you'll pick up the loot yourself, but I placed a floor of hoppers under the zombie section, you'll be able to pick up any loot from the chest there.

Zombie section, chest with the loot drops is on the right.

Once you're done go back up the ladder and go one level up (not the entire way up). Here you can enter the protected area, so that you can teleport back to town.

I also build a maintenance section, if you're curious just go through the iron door, up the ladder and from there you can access the spawner rooms. I really went all out here, if you open a spawner room (use the lever) then the room will become lit in order to stop the spawner. This allows you to do some maintenance without having to worry about new mobs appearing.

Zombie spawner room, you can clearly see the lamps...

And there you have it, hope some of you can put this to good use!

More stories ("making off") will be shared next week, it's much too late right now :D
  2. First!

Nice grinders, i made something like this in the past... it kinda died out though :(

Anyway cool grinders :D
    ShelLuser likes this.
  3. Update

We fixed the skeleton grinder. It's not perfect (that's because we're so close to the outpost) but it works. With a little redstone help. Aya also set up an afk spot (marked it) so you'll know where you should stand for the best results:

The mossy cobble marks the AFK spot.

And in case you're worried: you don't have to worry too much about being idle because this is simply using game mechanics. One grinder for each mob type, and the server has fail saves in place to prevent over usage. So if you want you can afk a bit and kill more zombies in one go. Or simply kill them one by one.

The skeleton grinder sometimes requires manual labor:

Sometimes you need to shake the skeletons up so that they'll drop down :D

Sometimes the skeletons won't drop, which has everything to do with the limited space of the room. If we fill the entire room with water then very few skeletons spawn, and if we use as much space as we can then the water can't reach everywhere, but more skeletons spawn. So Aya & me chose for the last approach:

Now, before you're going to comment that we should have pushed the wall further back: we know! The problem is that we can't, that wall on the left sits directly next to the protected area. You can't build behind it, and that's what made this harder. So we decided to leave it, optimize space as much as possible and use pistons to push the mobs down a bit. And that works :)

Though when looking back I'll probably experiment with adding some blocks on top of that right piston, to prevent mobs from climbing on. That might also help speed things up.

I'll share the "Making off" story behind this spawner very soon :)
    nltimv and fBuilderS like this.
  4. Great to see even more public farms :)
  5. People actually use this, and some people were actually surprised to discover this (so Aya told me :D). So I figured, why not... Ze bumpz! :p
    nltimv likes this.