Separate /chat Channels For Non-English Speakers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Border_Terrier, Mar 9, 2012.

?

Separate /chat Channels For Non-English Speakers?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2012.
Yes I agree with Tom115xXx's Point. 7 vote(s) 58.3%
No I disagree with Tom115xXx's Point. 5 vote(s) 41.7%
  1. well if u understood the part where it says it is an english server and u post here in english and read the other posts then i see no problem. why u complaining? local chat and tell is good enough. i am not english either but i respect the others.
  2. The point Aikar has is that little to no people are going to understand what a person is saying when they start speaking in a different language. That's why EMC encourages people to speak in English in the chats. If someone is walking around talking in Norwegian and not getting an answer, they are likely to get mad at some point and this may result in actions that will lead them to get banned. Something that we do not want to happen. Also, other players who only speak English may see their messages and think they are just spamming the chat. I know most languages are easy to pick out, but I'm saying that as a person who has studied (basic) French, Spanish, Maori and English. I don't want to say that speaking another language should be restricted to tell/local chat messages, but their are some small minded people around that would take it the wrong way. Maybe if someone signs in they can ask if anyone speaks [language] once. If no one says yes, they speak English. If someone says yes, they can speak in their language but preferably in local/tell when it is a busy time.Y

Edit: Also for moderators, it is a lot easier if everyone is speaking english. If there is only one or two non English speakers on it isn't too much of a problem. They can still be pulled up for the usual offensives. Caps, excessive punctuation etc. But if there a large group and an argument breaks out, how are moderators going to be able to monitor a situation they can even understand?
    ISMOOCH and GameKribJEREMY like this.
  3. Rules are rules.

The Rules say speak in English.

Primary reason is as pointed out earlier, Moderation. How do you tell what someone is saying if you don't speak their language? Hire a Moderator that does? How many languages are there in the world and how many would we see in EMC if people spoke their native tongue?

Also, regardless as to whether or not it's your native tongue, it's simply rude to speak in a room full of people in a way that others cannot understand you. If you actually cannot speak the common language in an environment, then you either need to learn, tolerate that fact and say nothing, or go somewhere that does.
    konglooey84 likes this.
  4. You have to realize that it's not that we're discriminating...but that's just how life works. If I went to another country where English wasn't spoken at all, I would likely not be helped, ignored or shunned. It's not their fault I don't know their language. Granted it's not my fault either, but, the burden is on me to either learn their language or respect their wishes, as I'm visiting 'their' world.
    konglooey84 and XxBoWnZxX666 like this.
  5. 84 104 105 115 32 105 115 32 114 97 99 105 115 116 46
  6. If they do not speak English, how could they read the site to sign up? (unless they have a fancy translating browser)
    kilmannan likes this.
  7. I am in tears of laughter. :)
  8. Jeremy I see your argument, but this is Minecraft. Not a certain country. Theres a reason why Notch put in full language support. I understand what everyone is saying. I just don't like that they are getting kicked/banned for it. Let's take your argument Jeremy, I visit another country and don't speak language. Are they gonna deport me and make me go back? No. Why? They want us there. Why shouldn't we want them here? And I know you aren't saying you don't want them here, but it seems like it when they come in speaking their native tongue and get kicked/banned.
  9. Not everyone here speaks ASCII
  10. That is a completely irrational argument.

EMC caters to a majority of English speaking players, and is ran and controlled by English speaking players. Therefore the default language (Just as you get with most programs) is English.

Unlike programs however, you cannot choose a different language because it's not just you that's using it.

If you want to speak a different language there are MC servers that will cater to your preference. EMC is not one of them simply because it's:

A: Harder to Moderate

B: Ignoring the Rules as laid down by the people that run EMC

C: Rude and ignorant if you can speak the Common Language of the server but wont

D: Runs a risk of alienation or worse yet, splits in the Community

Really, most FPS servers will state English only. That includes German, French or other language servers, where most of the ones I've ever played on still say: "English only please!" because that's their main playerbase or it's the language that's most common.

This is not a new concept.
    konglooey84 likes this.
  11. There are 3 kinds of servers:

1. National servers that target a national audience
    2. International servers that target an international audience
    3. English servers that target an international audience but are pissed when foreigners join

The way stay on the #2 side of the fine line between #2 and #3 is not the ban-hammer...
  12. I would say there is also:

4. English server that welcomes an international audience that agrees with and follows our set policy.
    kilmannan likes this.
  13. So then, what steps do you take in this following situation?

Player 1 speaking in a non-English language: "Blah blah blah blah."
    Player 2 speaking in a non-English language: "Blah blah blah blah."
    Moderator: "Please speak in English as per the EMC Rules, thank you."
    Player 1 speaking in a non-English language: "blah blah blah blah."
    Player 2 speaking in a non-English language: "blah blah blah blah."
    Moderator: "This is your last warning, please adhere to the EMC Rules and speak in English language only."
    Player 1 speaking in a non-English language: "This guys an idiot, who does he think he is? Screw him."
    Player 2 speaking in a non-English language: "Yeah, what a tool." (Still in non-English by the way)
  14. EMC. Empire Minecraft. Last I checked, that was English. Also, this server is run in the US, the admins are both (I'm pretty sure) American. So it doesn't matter that Minecraft is a multi-language game. Most players who do not speak English would most likely be on another server. And like Kilmannan said, you never know what they are saying in that language. Now unless all the mods go back to school and learn Spanish, German, French, Swiss, Swedish, etc. Then there is no way that they can possible police the servers and enforce the rules.