Science Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AusQB, May 11, 2012.

1. The sun is just a speck in the Milky Way.

The sun has a diameter of about 1,392,000 km, whereas the diameter of the Milky Way is roughly 100,000 lightyears.

Just for fun, that means that the sun is about 1.47 x 10^-10% (0.000000000147% or 0.147 billionths of a percent) the width of the Milky Way.
  2. Hmm interesting.
    My teacher needs to get slapped she said the sun takes up most of the milky ways mass.
  3. This is what seems to be the issue with schools today, they'll bring in anyone to teach, regardless of their qualifications.

You should learn as much as you can and give her a lesson.
    TheSpyPie likes this.
  4. You are certain they didn't say it takes up most of the solar system's mass? I don't know if that's still right or wrong, but if it's wrong, at least it's not nearly as wrong, lol. :p
  5. I never actually looked up exactly how much mass the sun contributes to the solar system: 99.86%.

So yes it's almost certain she meant the solar system, but she's still wrong like you said.
  6. Nope she clearly said "The sun takes up most of the Milky Ways mass"
  7. So THIS is what he was doing when he took a break from EMC...
  8. I thought it was intensity that was linked to power, not frequency? Perhaps if we are thinking in terms of the particulate nature of electromagnetic radiation, then energy transfer would be linked to frequency, such as in the photoelectric effect etc?

I probably just said something totally wrong, but I said it in the hope that if it is, I'll get corrected... xD
  9. yeah :3 sorry xD
  10. Why do people snore?
    If you are born in the years 2000-2009, are you a '00 person?
    Ps, sorry for bump but I think that this is a great thread and making new thread would create spam.
  11. Snoring is caused by obstructions in the respiratory passageway, resulting in vibrations of parts in the throat, mouth and nasal passages like the uvula (the thing that hangs down in the back of the mouth). These vibrations are what cause the snoring sound.

There are a bunch of reasons why the respiratory system can become obstructed, but I'm not quite sure why it only occurs when sleeping. I suppose we just breathe more heavily in our sleep.

Unfortunately, yes. Most people agree on calling it the "naughties", as in naught being the term for zero.
    Chascarrillo and Equinox_Boss like this.
  12. WingedYoshi.jpg :D
  13. I'm interesting about the 'Nibiru'
    Wondering if it's real?
    What do you think about it? :)
  14. I'll leave this to my good friend, NDT.