Science Questions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AusQB, May 11, 2012.

1. Put forth by Einstein's general theory of relativity, space-time is visualized as an elastic sheet that can be deformed by gravitational fields. The greater the force, the greater the deformation.

This is the traditional representation of a black hole you may have seen. The grid is a depiction of space-time, with the immense gravitational pull of the black hole stretching it completely out of it's normal flat shape.

Researchers are finding evidence of matter travelling across warped space-time towards the event horizon to exhibit two types of motion, which produce two distinct frequencies. One motion is the orbital spin as it spirals down, the other is a "wobbling" along that path which increases as the deformation increases. This behaviour is described as similar to the needle on a record player.
  2. At what scale does causality begins to matter? We know it matters for massive objects, like Shrodinger's cat, whos size will collapse the wave function and make it either alive or death at any given time. On the other hand, we know subatomic and even atomic processes can ignore causality, from the stochastic nature of radiation to the observed tunneling of Ammonia molecules. So, there is a scale where causality triumphs over stochastity, what is this scale?
    NurseKilljoy likes this.
  3. Ok, how do you know all this stuff? (im too lazy to read the begin post)
  4. Some things I know from school and pursuits of curiosity. If I don't know something, I enjoy the process of researching it.
    shaunwhite1982 likes this.
  5. This is cool:)
  6. By the way, I don't want advanced questions like the ones Yamanqui is asking to scare others away from asking their own, thinking this is out of their league. There is no question too simple.
  7. We could die any second? O_O

what are the first 100 numbers of Pi? :confused:
  8. You mean digits. Pi is just one number.
  9. My intention was not to scare people away, but to show that science is a dinamic discipline that is constantly growing, but for every question that is answered a hundred appear that defy the current understanding.

I think pondering on the questions that still don't have answers is the best way to keep science going forward.

In this manner is that I ask this next question, whoose historical significance is that it made the foundations of phisics shake and fall, and the answer was the beginning was the beginning of a new chapter of physics.

Classic thermodinamics states that the frecuency of emited light should increase as the power increases, this was called "the ultraviolet tragedy" which fortunately doesn't happen, otherwise we would cook ourselves sitting in front a bonfire. How can we explain this balant violation of classic thermodinamics? As a hint, the solution came from the analysis of the black body espectrum.
  10. What do you think the next evolutionary step will be for the homo line?
  11. You lost me at classic :p
    AssignedInsanity likes this.
  12. HAH! I win, cause I got to thermo! :cool:
  13. It seems to me that the threshold of causality lies between the atomic and subatomic levels, relative to the power of the technology used to observe them. You mentioned tunneling of ammonia molecules, but it is not the molecule itself that tunnels but rather the two valence electrons that tunnel through the nitrogen atom when the molecule flips. That could have been what you meant, but I wanted to clarify in any case.

So we can observe and predict with high degrees of certainty the behaviour of atoms and molecules, but subatomic particles, such as protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, neutrinos etc. are much harder to predict, as you know.
  14. Homo Apparatus.

More on that later.

Up until around 200,000 years ago, early humans had been evolving to adapt to the natural environment, excluding the use of rudimentary tools for the previous couple millions years. I'm referring to such things as clothing, fire and shelter.

As they developed more technology, crude as it was, they were providing external benefits which countered, or rather hindered, the efforts of evolution. If we did not invent fire or clothing, we would still be hulking hairy primates with thick layers of fat to keep us warm. In this way, technological advancement took over from natural selection and we began to decide the course of our own evolution.

Years ago I wrote a paper on de-evolution in which I postulate the future of our species, given our dependencies on technology.

Homo apparatus means machine man. More and more of us are choosing a life in front of the computer. If this trend continues and grows, our skeletal structure will begin to morph. Our spines will become arched again, our fingers will grow longer and our legs will become shorter.

However, it's possible that homo sapiens will branch into two different species; the aforementioned homo apparatus, those who rely on computers more than their bodies, and homo naturalis (natural man), those who prefer to continue advancing the natural progression by performing physical actions themselves.
  15. I understand and respect that, but I still wanted to assure people that we're not excluding them.

Could you elaborate on that law of thermodynamics? By classic do you mean theories that precede the accepted laws?

Also, if you know there is a solution, are you just asking to test others? I'm confused by that last sentence.
  16. Thy Universe is large!
    Thou people should know that! xD
    Im in the 8th grade and this is the grade that i learn astronomy.
    And it has been veryy interesting. Knowing alot more about planets and stars and how they are formed.
    Its crazy how all of this crap works. It is incredible how the universe works (still expanding).
    When i get older i hope to study the stars and space. it seems like fun i would really like to learn more about the Miky Way and other galaxies.
    Many people out there do not know about what goes on in space, all they know is about gravity adn such.
    I also learned that the sun isnt so but, even though it takes up most of the milky way xD But i learned that there are things called red giants and super red giants that are huge compared to the sun.
    I also learned how stars are formed and they have life cycles just like humans! q:
    First process of a starr is called a Stellar Nebula. The nect cycle would either be a Average Star or a Massive star.
    But if it makes its way to become a Average star its cycle continues to become a Red Giant then Planetary Nebula then a White Dwarf.
    But if it makes its way to become a Massive Star, the next life cycle would be a Red Supergiant which is massive. Then would be a Supernova this happens when a Super Redgiant dies and explodes. Then it become a black hole or a Neutron star.
    This is just some info if you already didnt know about this :D
  17. Because we are relying so much on technology?
  18. See my edited post above.
  19. It's great that you're so fascinated by space, but this sentence is worrying me. Surely you don't think the sun takes up most of the Milky Way.
  20. Its wrong?
    Well what could i say im just a boy still learning.