[Rant/Suggestion] Fighting Marlix

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by PenguinDJ, Nov 15, 2015.

1. I'll just paste this in.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  2. Momentus is easier to kill than a single Marlix guardian IMO lol
  3. Momentus is much easier. I don't even mess with the Marlix anymore. You can chase it around for 45 minutes, fighting off all the enraged guardians and then it has either disappeared or flown so far off over water you just give up. And then you are left with nothing but a bunch of annoying skeletons incessantly shooting at you and armor that is dangling by a string.
    TuckerAmbr and PenguinDJ like this.
  4. I know Aikar has already responded, but I'm still going to comment as if I didn't know that.

First, most important, we're not all the same. While you may not consider Marlix a challenge this doesn't mean that the whole Empire feels the same way. Same goes for Momentus: I consider him pretty easy, but I'll also admit that this mostly comes from my awesome voters gear (I really love that stuff). But there are still lots of players who have plenty of issues with defeating it; even while wearing god armor.

Actually I dislike them, and I agree that they can be annoying. But that's just the thing: I don't think that there's anything wrong with adding a bit of annoyance into the game. In fact: I think it's an important part of the game.

Take Momentus: I always fight it at difficulty 7 or higher, usually 8 and I'm preparing to try 9. Also because the effective difficulty usually drops a bit. So; eventually I defeated Momentus, and got my stuff. But the party isn't over: usually I still have plenty of guardians to deal with, which are still after me and still pretty powerful because of my high difficulty settings.

Sometimes it's annoying as heck, especially because not everything you gain from Momentus is soulbound. "Guys, take a hike, your boss is dead and I'm done with you", but that's not how it works.

I think the same applies to Marlix and his guardians. Yes, it is annoying. But that's also part of the game.

True that, but I'd say the trick is not getting hit in the first place. Which is difficult, but not impossible. A better trick would even be to get Marlix hit his own minions for you. Not sure of the effect has these days (it's been weeks since I fought Marlix) but yah...

It's what I like about fighting several skeletons at once (esp. in 1.9 this is going to be awesome): you need to have a strategy instead of just rushing in. If you just rush they'll all hit you with arrows and if you're lucky you'll hit one of them to get an edge, but otherwise (usually?) you'll only end up as a pin cushion.

If you dodge and even get one of the others in the background to hit one in the foreground then you're getting a good advantage because the skeletons will start to fight each other (isn't Minecraft awesome like that?).

I think the same applies here... Marlix isn't an enemy which you should rush, it's not a bad tactic but you'll gain more from devising a better strategy. And sometimes, which can also be annoying, patience can be an important part of that strategy.

Quickly back to Momentus (which is the miniboss I have most experience with): fighting Momentus alone at night is a no go for me (not impossible, but much more annoying). So when I find one I usually prepare myself by sitting it out. Trust me: I know much more fun things to do than waiting for sunrise in a small ditch I made, but it's part of the strategy.

I fully agree here, the flight path isn't something easily predicted. Just go into a cave and try to hit a bat with your bow and arrow, it's nearly impossible and that's not only because of its small size. Heck; try hitting it with your sword. That is more doable, but still in many cases an issue of sheer luck.

However... I don't agree that you have to wait for it to come down. Because there are plenty of times when Marlix simply flies in a straight path and continues that path for a few seconds. Then you can get a shot in by predicting its trajectory (and being good at aiming of course).

Of course: those moments don't come often and sometimes you have to be patient. Which is something you can't always be because those pesky guardians spawn in, you fight them and while doing so lose track of Marlix again.

Sometimes that is annoying, absolutely. But I still think that annoyance in itself should be part of the game. Good games can be a little frustrating at times.

Only this morning (local time obviously) did I try to help someone out on SMP8 who, just like Aya some months ago, fought Momentus, died and lost all their gear (was trying to help them search for their gear). Those are the times which can be the most annoying or even frustrating. Don't get me wrong here: that is no fun at all. Just like minig in the wastelands and because of some freak accident you die and loose all your stuff. Annoying, frustrating and plain out no fun at all. And just because I use voters gear doesn't mean that I don't sympathize or can't understand how frustrating it can be, quite the contrary!

But... It is still part of the game and what makes the game so challenging at times.

So yeah; I do agree with you on some points, but I don't think that "it's annoying" should be reason enough to do major changes. Though I do agree that the flight path could be a little less jittery.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  5. Separating quotes into other quotes with quotes in the previous quote is complicated, so responses are in blue. Obviously didn't respond to all of it and I agree with a lot of it too.

ShelLuser likes this.
  6. The good part is that this actually rhimes as well, that makes is nice to read. The bad part however is that for some reason I'm now also losing all the quotes :confused:

Anyway, I can definitely agree with several things you say as well, two thing I would like to address though:

He, he, I know you're not exactly a fan :) I wholeheartedly agree though that it's less effective when it comes to attack & defense damage in comparison to 'god gear'. Still... There are also major advantages.

But good news: I've had a lot of discussions about this with Aya as well (not always serious, also often while jesting & teasing each other) and she also favors god armor over voters armor. So we decided to settle this soonish in a one on one comparison. We both participate with the idea to prove the other wrong. It's going to be fun ;)

Could be, but I also think you raise some very valid points. I mean: there is a good reason why I haven't fought a Marlix for at least 2 months now. For me the effort that goes into (trying to) kill a Marlix isn't really on par with the rewards you can get. Note: this sentiment might be a little unfair because its also fueled by the "Marlix issues" from the past: where you'd fight a Marlix and ended up with nothing. Even so: I consider Marlix a lot harder than Momentus.

Anyway, apart from that I can overly agree with you here.
    PenguinDJ likes this.