Rant: Malls are not a Public Service

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NeedsFoodBadly, Aug 28, 2015.

1. I will never donate to something that makes profit, such as a mall or service (or accept donations to my shop/service). You don't see people donating to Wal-Mart, don't you? Profit projects should have a way to start by themselves. I can't imagine a shop that's created with the huge help of donations will be very successful.
    khixan and 607 like this.
  2. I agree that the way I show love for a mall is by both buying and selling to it. I was actually stocking yours recently. In fact, if you need any specific stock send me a pm.

3. Well... kickstarter is very much donating to something that makes profit, and it's very popular.
  4. As to the subject at hand, though. I didn't have a donation thing when I started my horse business (made of colored clay, wool, and sand I mined/snipped/dug myself, if it matters), but put it in at a suggestion. I'm going for a goal (high-quality non-white horses) that's really seeing me no profit right now (at least until I can find a cheap gold supplier), so I don't feel terribly guilty about it, as long as I don't go around begging for money for being stupid enough to make a business that has no profit in it. :p

That being said, so far my donations have been: 2 gold bars, 2 redstone dust, 2 stone pressure plates, and like 6 dirt.
  5. I agree on the donations thing. You build this beautiful thing to be classy then pan handle... ok? Buy dirt for 10k? yeah I'm going to walk over there where there is less dirt.

As far as all the malls. If we had some kind of thing in like the tutorial that explained that owning a mall... well it sucks... then maybe people wouldn't go to build a pretty mall only to realize after they spent all that time that their investment isn't done and ready to pay off but that you have to now research the market and continually while also finding suppliers or otherwise stocking the whole thing yourself(yeah good luck) or buying and reselling for a profit margin like [redacted by self] certain players.
  6. I disagree about the tutorial part. I think it's very healthy for people to find it out themselves, and I also think they will have fun anyway.
  7. A lot of stuff on Kickstarter never gets made, or is a complete and total financial flop that doesn't turn a profit.
  8. I think that any project can accept donations, be it hotel, shop or giant slime pyramid... Donations are just that though. I agree that it's not a public service. Anyone that needs donations to create their shop are extremely unlikely to have a reliable shop in the future. Having a mall takes a ton of work to keep stocked.

I've got 1 product at my shop and one of the highest buy from players prices on all servers and it still takes a lot of work on my part to keep filled. A full mall would be pretty insane to keep well stocked.

I also agree with ShelLuser that a good shop doesn't need to be made out of quartz and diamond. A couple trips to the waste and a little creativity can get you there. My wood shop was mostly "grown" and my stables are mostly stone slabs and glass panes (both super cheap). Ive seen some nice cobble or wood shops, just make sure people can get around ok and light things up. The rest depends on how you run it.
  9. True. I was just saying it does in fact happen in real life too.