Question for shops in Town to help with the Lag right now

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by KatydidBuild, Mar 28, 2020.

1. For my player shop -- I am trying to determine how I can help the lag (by not contributing to it, as much as is possible). So, these are specifically EMC questions - as they shouldn't matter for survival, I know.

• Trying not to use hoppers, if I can get around it. Or at least using less.
    • Trying not to use item frames, if I can get around it.
    • Is there any theory if barrels are better/worse than using chests for shops? or for large storage areas?
    • Is there a number of hoppers on an active res that should be the limit?
    Anything else that we should keep in mind? Or other suggestions for the time being.

Thanks.
    607 likes this.
  2. Have to consider your neighbours too - do they use you shop as a chunk loader for their own farms?
  3. I too wonder about this because I plan on making a self stocking mall. Which feature a bubble elevator, it sends the bottom minecart chest into the elevator and shoots it to the top. The cart gets push by the water until it reach the silo , than fall down until it's on top of the stack. I planned on using water item streams for the most part and item sorters Hopper chain. The minecart will unload and once emtpy it will pick up the unsorted Items. It continue do this until it returns to the silo! But I fear this will cause lag.
  4. Bumpity Bump Bump Bump
  5. I don't know about this, but it's cool that you're taking it into consideration. :) Are you targeting server lag or client lag?
  6. server lag, of course.
  7. I wonder if the player should build there shops in a creative world and check the tps or how much lag it cause?
  8. I guess it makes sense considering the 'right now' in the title. However, historically I think most shop owners that cared about lag have focused on minimising client lag, as the server was usually stable. However, I realise now that this might not even be relevant: for all I know, server and client lag might be caused by the same things. :p Does anyone know whether this is the case or not?
    Lukas3226 likes this.
  9. that won't answer the sever side question that I am asking.
    Just opening the door for a conversation about how much of this/that in the current environment of the update.
  10. Barrels are comparable to any other 'chest' block. So no difference whether you use those.
    Item Frames are not going to cause server lag - since we expect them not to do anything most of the time. Too many can certainly hurt client lag. But the same could be said about signs.

Hoppers are hurting us the most right now (in terms of shops). It is still left to be determined whether we can optimize this.
  11. I was trying to cut down on hoppers!
  12. Are there any sort of guidelines for what's an okay amount versus what's not?

Can we check ourselves somehow to see if we're part of the problem?
  13. We have not formed any guidelines - as we are not sure what the threshold between reasonable use and excessive quite is.

200 hoppers. No problem.
    10,000 hoppers... Definitely too many.

A single hopper is not laggy. It is when you have thousands and thousands that they can collectively become the problem.

If you want me to check out a build, to see how is is effecting the server. Send me a message
    htpps://pm.emc.gs/chickeneer
  14. I will admit for me, and my pitiful computer, switching from hoppers/chests/item frames/signs in my storage area to straight chests and signs has helped a lot with my own lag.

I'm also trying to figure out what all I have in addition to how much to try and reconfigure a shop for optimized performance for individuals like me who have computer issues.
    Nuttyknight42 and 607 like this.
  15. Thank you for this. I feel like many of us are trying to reduce serve lag, this is very helpful for those who were wondering how many is too many?
    KatydidBuild and HazardousCode like this.