Proposed Creation: EMC Stock Exchange? [move?]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by platypus364, Apr 26, 2012.

?

Should I or anyone else build an EMC Stock Exchange?

No (wouldn't work, community wouldn't participate) 8 vote(s) 28.6%
Yes, sounds awesome! 12 vote(s) 42.9%
Meh. It depends on the community really 8 vote(s) 28.6%
  1. I use it for when I am texting through textplus and I go so fast that sometimes I hit wrong keys. I believe that my typing in my computer is actually slower than that of me typing on my iPod.
  2. I will be selling Stocks to the CakeCo Exchange once it's open.... Oh wait, that's a bit of time away.....

Guess this is a small tease, then.
  3. I thought about this a little more, and....

Not enough people really understand this to make it work.
    Kells18 and PandasEatRamen like this.
  4. lol secret. Do you actually think that or did you just feel like posting it

i see.
  5. well... maybe discourage use unless one understands it? im willing to explain it ot people. besides its pretty simple really, just buy and sell invisible items from famous shop owners and to other people for whatever price you want.
  6. See that's what doesn't make sense to me. Why buy and sell invisible items when you can buy and sell real(virtual) items?
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  7. Just another facet of the economy. I'm trying to add even more depth to an already great economy. You also stand to make more money and its more flexible, no one would buy a diamond for 150r just to resell for 155 or something. but shares? very flexible, possibilities are ENDLESS mwhahahahahah.

Better answer after thinking: Thats the advantage of shares, they aren't real. They are very versatile and you don't have to go mining for them.
  8. Here's what a stock/share is.

Let's say you have a shop. You split your shop into 100 shares. Keep half for yourself as the shop owner. Take the other 50 shares and sell them off to players. Each share is worth 1% of the shops earnings. So say you earn 3k rupees from your shop this week. The 3k would be divided into each of the 100 shares and payments will be made to the rightful shareholders. If no money is made that week, no dividends are paid. Your basically investing into the companies success. It's that simple.

I've ran shops/exchanges and sold shares, etc for too long on Minecraft to not do it here. It is successfull and I will prove this.

TL:DR; Shares are investments on the potential successfullness of any shop/business that receives income.
  9. LOL, TL HAPPIFACE R;

that was actually pretty funny. And rob, if you want to help me improve this concept to work on EMC please do. This is not a set concept and it can be changed.

Btw if you Tldr'd that post then you definitely did not read my original :p (not you rob, just anyone else in general)
  10. HEY, that happy face was important! :D
    Lol, I would love to help you improve upon this concept. I have been able to dominate other economy servers, and will do what I can to be successfull here. But here, I will give back to the community once I have achieved my goal.

And I have to go for bed, because I have school in a few hours. But there's a long weekend ahead to write up a nice post on this, which I will gladly do. :)
  11. Rob, I thank you for fully stating and explaining my point of view in this.
    roblikescake likes this.
  12. Well, if you guys want to add company-based profit to it, go ahead. Its just that me nor anyone else as i know can come up with a feasable way to do this. And I'm definitely not requesting an EMC mod, this will be player based.

Yeah homework time for me too. I wont post again in a while... bye guys
  13. I understand all of that, but I still think it would be taking EMC's economy system a bit too far. Also, I don't see minecraft as being all that economically friendly anyway. It just seems to make people a bit more greedy(myself included). I've noticed that I've been focusing a bit too much on getting rupees and not enough on just playing the game and helping people. In the end I've realized that there really isn't much point to having all those rupees unless you are going to be working on a very large project that requires a very large amount of funds. Other than that it's just bragging rights(which do absolutely nothing for you). Sure I enjoy having EMC's simple economy system, but I think this would just be taking it a bit too far. This is all just my opinion on the matter though so don't take any of it personally :p
  14. Well (homework has been postponed :p),

I would agree normally, but EMC has the best economy that I've ever seen and, unlike other servers, it is ENTIRELY player based. With just some simple rules and functions, people have made all sorts of businesses providing services and circulating money around like nothing else. And honestly, I want to add to it.

But I still respect your opinion and also think that you have a point.
    nab27 likes this.
  15. Vote on the poll! Even if you haven't voiced it in this thread I'd like to know the public's opinion!
  16. A way this could work, though it would take a lot of coding on Justins part, and i doubt he has time for it.
    But here is the thought:

Buying Shares
    To purchase a share, you would use a sign, except that their would be an actual recorded "share" that you would purchase. To set up the sign, you would write this on the sign:
    ----------------
    B/S
    ---------------
    So first line would be blank, second would say share, third would be B/S, standing for Buy and Sell, and fourth line would be blank. Just like a normal purchase sign, the name would show up after you leave the writing area on the sign. Price of the share would be fully automated using the following system.

How Shares Are Priced
    The way that the share would be priced would go as follows: Through coding by Justin, we would link up this form of sign to the Rupee History of the player that made it, except it would only detect rupees earned through shops. Using this information, and a standard of rupees made a week through shops to be aloud to have/sell shares, this could be say 500r a week, it would then set up the sign to sell the shares for 5r a piece. Starting out, all shops that can sell Shares would have 100 possible shares to sell. You could later buy more Shares to sell if you wish, which would be added to your total amount of possible shares. Once the persons weekly income through shops reaches say 600r, so an increase of 100r, the price and value of the shares would then go up by 1r, making them each worth 6r. In the opposite, if the weekly rupee income from that persons shops went down 100r again, then the price of the shares would return to 5r a piece.

Ownership and tracking of Shares
    You would be able to own as many shares of as many shops as you like, and sell them at you please as well. As an example, I could own 20 shares of 4 shops, meaning I own 80 shares in total. If the value goes up on the shares of one of those shops, I could sell them back to the players Share shop for xxx amount of rupees per share. This would then make them available for others to purchase if they wish. To track the shares a person has, all that needs to be done is a slight adjustment of the rupee tracking system, so this means you could just type /share to see the amount of shares that you own, and where you bought them. This would allow people to keep an eye on the shops that they own shares of, and make sure a person does not forget where they bought the Shares.

What happens if the purchase Share sign is destroyed and you can no longer sell your shares back?
    In the real world, their is very little reimbursement that happens if a company goes under or is shut down, but this is not the real world! You would not get a full refund if the place where you bought your shares is closed, but a 50% get back. So if I had 10 shares from a player who had a decent shop, and each one was worth 20r, then if that person decided to stop selling a buying shares, then I would get 10r back automatically for each of my shares, meaning I would get 100r.

Thoughts or questions are very much welcome!
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  17. Not bad, but I really don't want this to become a mod, nor do I want the shares to be priced like this ^^.
    Pricing should be based on what people WANT to pay for it - thats how it works in real life. As for the profits, thats not a bad idea.
  18. If it becomes what people WANT to pay for them, then everyone will ask to buy them for 1r and since shop owners won't be able to get anything else, that is what they will sell them for, and no one will ever sell because the value of the shares will never change.
  19. Well, the stock market works this way irl. The 'going price' cannot be set or chosen, it is whatever the buyer AND seller agree on at the time.
  20. I know it is, but for it to effectively work in EMC and not crash and urn on the very first day, in the 5 minutes it is first up, it has to be set at a standard so that no one can just buy a 100 shares for 100r and then sell back for 100r. In the way you are trying to do it, it does work in the real world, but our economy in EMC is not developed well enough for it to work.