Poll: Should Lock cost Less?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by One_Man_Cheese, May 6, 2012.

?

Should the lock chest price be lowered?

YES, I hate spending all my money on a lock 26 vote(s) 38.2%
NO, People should carry their stuff with them! 42 vote(s) 61.8%
  1. Whoa whoa whoa, its real easy to say that you'd gladly pay more when you have a lot of money and you dont primarily live in the wil, lol!

I've got a storage room with about 25 locked double chests, and let me tell you, thats a LOT of chedder. On oneof the smps I live in the wild, and Im too far away to travel to my residences to safely stow my items. Luckily, I can afford to be a diamond supporter and therefore, can afford multiple locked chests. However, 2 of my group were free members and couldnt afford to lock chests, so I had to lock theirs for them.

Vanilla and survival, yeah, but if Im playing survival on single player, normal difficulty, and with NO installed mods at all (about as vanilla as you can get) I can still put out a chest where ever and not have to worry about the contents being stolen. Are you saying "vanilla" means the MC creators wanted people stealing from one another online to be part of the game?

Locking a chest has one purpose: to keep malicous players from stealing from you, and it should be considered as standard as the ability to chat with one another, in my opinion. I dont see how that should be a feature that is only afforded to the wealthy. Everyone should have the ability to safe-guard their stuff, not just supporters or people who have a lot of rupees.

Personally, I think that locked chests are too expensive. I can sort of see that the current price limits the amount of chests out in the world, but so what? If you built it, it should be left alone anyways! It is too bad that we cant have an honor system that everyone keeps their hands to themselves and off other peoples items, but thats just not realistic.

I cant imagine how having a bunch of chest's in the wild is any worse than having floating treetops from people not fully chopping down tree trunks, or the wasteland that is the periodic reset zone. Chests are just another MC block, there is no limit on any other blocks, why would we want to limit how many chests there are? If the ammount of chests on a server is connected to the servers performance and lag, then I could understand wanting to limit the ammount of chests on the server.
    battmeghs likes this.
  2. Welcome to town!

Safeguarding your stuff in the wild is a perk. People who help support the server have more rupees with which to do it, but even then it isn't that expensive. Get your friends to vote every day. That's some free rupees.

Cheap chests in the wild?

battmeghs likes this.
  3. Uuh, what wilderness? Theres almost nothing of anything in the wild :(
  4. And you're going what, about a thousand blocks from spawn, tops? Some of us are VERY far out, and trust me, the wild is there, but unfortunately, so are the griefers.

Personally, I think the price of lock signs is about where it should be. It's not enough that you can't lock something in a reasonable amount of time if you need to, but it costs enough that you think twice before doing it.
    battmeghs and Curundu like this.
  5. While locked chests do figure significantly into my budget, what they often protect is worth 10-30 times the lock price. In that light, it is just a small premium on being able to have really nice things. A luxury tax if you will.
  6. That's a good enough point to prove the price is reasonable. You don't have to lock chests of dirt, saplings or sticks, you can get them anywhere. Use your lock chests for the rare finds that will fetch you a decent amount of money, then you won't even notice the 500r spent on it :)
    battmeghs likes this.
  7. If you're suggesting that town is there if you need to lock things so that you dont need the ability to lock things in the wild, I'd like to remind you that the "wild" is where most of the game is played, without the wild you would have nothing to build with but dirt, so you have to venture out to get materials. TOWN, my friend, is a PERK. I also want to point out what I said earlier, if you're out 50,000 blocks from spawn,like I am, then regularily going back to town to lock something isnt really feasible. Ironically, you will have a hard time making money without regularily visiting town, and you need money to lock things in the wild.. a catch 22.
    This is a logical conclusion, however, you failed to address one thing: the value of the items being locked in a chest are irelevant; just because something isnt considered valuable does not mean it wont be subject to grief. Example: you are preparing to build a project and you have mulitple double chests of seemingly unvaluable items that you are using to build your project... along comes a greifer and finds your chests. He has no use for double chests of cobblestone as it doesnt have much value in terms of resale for ruppes AND doesnt have enough room in his inventory to take all of these items.. however, there is NOTHING stopping him from taking these items and throwing them in lava or burying them in chest of his own somewhere just to be annoying.

I have about 15 double chests of cobblestone, and although the dont have an enormous rupee value, it still took quite a bit of time to collect all of those... yes, cobblestone is readily available, but it still takes time to collect 15 double chests of it, and if someone where to come along and empty it into lava, all the time spent collecting all that cobble has basically been erased.... which in my opinion is just the same as greifing a structure. Building structures takes time, to destroy a structure forces you to lose the time you spent builing it and lose MORE time REBUILDING it... same applies to time spent amassing materials. Therefore, in my opinion, someone removing unvaluable materials from a chest that doesnt belong to them is GRIEFING, and griefing prevention should be a top priority for any server.
    battmeghs likes this.
  8. Chest locking reduced to 250 r. Chest apocalypse incoming. Enough said.
  9. Can you say more..;)
  10. How about this. Imagine someone has world edit. //hpos1 * walks far away from that block * /hpos2 //set chest. Now do you see? :p
  11. :confused:Not really... could you say that again in english? Im a simple gamer only, that is jargon to me... oh wait! I see what you did there! Ok, let me try:
    I would use our 11bravo to set up a FOB in our AO to prevent the OPFOR from approaching via the MSR....
    nmanley, margaritte and SecretAznEks like this.
  12. I see what you did there :D
    I think what he was trying to say was that a lowered price on locked chests would result in locked chests EVERYWHERE.
    As for my own opinion, I think that the price is right where it is. If it were 2500r, we'd have less locked chests and overall more incidences of stealing from unlocked chests. If it were 500r, the overall value of items would theoretically decrease. I mean, if you had to pay less to ensure your stuff wouldn't get stolen while you're shipping tons of stuff to town, then the stuff would become less valuable theoretically. Now, I can't ensure that this would actually happen if lock prices were lowered, as economies are generally unpredictable. But I do think that 1000r is a necessary premium to protect your stuff.

Locked chests: 1000r.
    Being free to live in a world free of griefers and thieves? Priceless.
    battmeghs likes this.
  13. I know that there is still some good parts of the wild. I respect that. But when the wild was the Wasteland, you could build right at spawn! There was even a town right outside of spawn that nobody griefed. Everyone of course hid their chests (as there was no locking) and was courteous to each other.
  14. That would be awesome if it was still that way! I'd imagine there weren't nearly as many players then.
    battmeghs likes this.
  15. The problem was is that there was still a low percentage of griefers, but as there weren't 35k members, there were very few in total. With a larger number of total members, the number of griefers is considerably higher, making your creations more likely to be destroyed.
  16. Your entitled to your opinion, as am I, but remember that the MAJORITY of players here are not supporters or just Iron and it is a large chunk of change for most to lock a chest. I know I would not even think of locking a chest till I became a diamond supporter as the rupees comes a lot easier. I now have 10-15 locked chest probably. The rupees don't mean nothing but to be used as a tool and the locked chest is a REQUIRED tool as long as there is no griever protection. If I wanted a true vanallia experience with other people playing and ruining other peoples hard work I'd leave EMC but I hope to not EVER see EMC go the way of other servers. ;)

I agree with the way ICC stated it was done and see no reason for a change.
  17. Oh those were times when we were excited about simple things, like "OMG 500 PLAYERS, YIPEEEE! Wow justin and jeremy, this server has grown! We have 500 people!" :)
    battmeghs likes this.
  18. I personally don't think that the current price for locking chests is to much. If you are to worried about the price, maybe you should be spending more time in town working on your shop. Otherwise the rest of the people will find that 1000 rupee investment worthwhile to protect from griefing.

Remember that locked chests can last forever if you put them in a convenient location.
    battmeghs likes this.
  19. Yeah, I mean, what if you have 50+ stacks of diamonds in there??? You think 1000r is a high price?

PPFFFFTT
  20. Sorry guys.

I like my server like my cake; Vanilla.

Don't lower prices. Nuff' said.
    battmeghs and SecretAznEks like this.