Poll: Periodic reset of normal worlds?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Nov 13, 2011.

?

Should we reset the normal world on each server monthly?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2011.
Yes - Reset it every month! I am sick of navigating these ugly things 16 vote(s) 84.2%
No - Don't reset it until nothing but bedrock is left 3 vote(s) 15.8%
  1. That would require SO much bandwith and consequently lag out the server. Too much memory usage.
  2. YES I AM FREAKEN GETIGN UNNESSISSARLY LOST LSEE THAN 200 BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE SPAWN
  3. if you or anyone is getting lost in the wilderness, wastelands, or nether, you have to do the obvious thing. push f3 as soon as you teleport to the destination. write the X and Z coordinates!!!! that way when your ready to come back, you just keep an eye on your numbers. I could give the coords out but I'm not going to since most people want everything done for them. I know some people are new to minecraft, but I would think that this server would mainly cater to those with general experience due to the various mods being used. Saying this, I think there should be some sort of general Q&A or beginner help guide other than new-to-server guide to help people out who are struggling.
    Malicaii12 and Dark_Liz like this.
  4. Every month seems a bit too easy, I hope justin reads this cause its important. If every month the worlds would reset, it would cause a deflation in prices severely and mess up the whole economy. It would essentially make money worthless. There is also plenty of minecraft. Considering it is a continues world. You just have to run a bit farther than normal. If it is to be reset every 3 months would be a lot better. Giving time for the economy to level out after each reset. For people getting lost though... THERE IS A LIVE MAP. People dont get on the forums right away. And some not at all. This forum provides wonderful live maps that show you exactly where you are and spawn is. But for the wilderness, just write down ur coords like vortex said. But I really don't suggest messing with the way the economy is by resetting monthly.

Sincerely,
    NinjaWolf ¦ Elite
  5. For me, there's nothing better than building a huge castle, dungeon or mine in the wilderness- my own little slice of heaven. Once you've finished building in your lot in town, the next thing to do would be to move onto a project in the wasteland, where your creativity could take endless possibilities. Sure, right at the start is a bit of an eyesore and difficult to maneuver, but it takes 30 seconds, if that to get out of that area. Then you're free to roam. I'd say: no resetting periodically. It'd give me little to do.
    cdboi likes this.
  6. I totally know what you mean Malicaii. I would also love to build in the vastness of the wilderness.

But the reality is that this server does not provide a safe wilderness to build in, only a safe town. This server is public, and that means the same social problems that we see in the real world are going to show up here as well, like rudeness and crime. Therefore, if you build anything in the wilderness it will ultimately be defiled and destroyed. Everyone who has failed to see this, including myself, and built there anyway, has suffered the grief that results in us having a dysfunctional society... our stuff gets destroyed and stolen by virtual criminals.

So really, part of the "griefing" problem is that people, like you and I, have the hope and expectation that our stuff will be safe, regardless of the reality that it won't be. This is ultimately a misunderstanding of reality. Don't feel bad, we all do it all the time... and we usually learn to see reality as it is after a while, it's just often painful (when reality doesn't match what we would deeply like it to be).

So really, making it so the worlds reset monthly is actually doing people like us a favour. It will help those of us who would deeply like society to be highly functional (where everyone would automatically and completely respect each other) to not make the mistake of having that kind of faith in humanity here (where it is totally misplaced) by giving us another reason to not build in the wilderness worlds: because anything we build is going to disappear in a month anyway.

I've come to realize that if we want to build in the great vast spaces of the wild (which I would love to do too) we need either play singleplayer or run our own private server.

This server offers a 100% safe town to build in, along with a vast, but unsafe, wilderness for adventuring and gathering resources. That's pretty awesome for a public server I think.

Note that just because we have to consider the wild worlds unsafe doesn't mean the rules don't apply there. On the contrary, they absolutely do, and they are enforced regularly. Just look at the Empire Graveyard. Many of those people did socially dysfunctional things ("griefing", stealing, etc.) in the wilderness worlds and the only thing left of them here is a memorial stone.

The thing is, even if we caught everyone who has ever committed these virtual crimes and buried them, more people like that would come and do the exact same things... because it's a totally public place and the spirit of our dysfunctional society will endure and plague us until we overcome those infantile limitations as a race (the human race). That will take some time.

It would also be fine if the wilderness worlds were not reset periodically. A permanent world like we have now can certainly work too. But I'm currently in favour of monthly resets due to the harsh realities of "griefing" (crime and social dysfunctionality), and the general lack of understanding of those realities here.

I used to feel the exact same way as you do about this Malicaii. But I've realized what the real deal is out there, and now building in the wild worlds just seems masochistic to me. ...not a good idea unless you like pain (emotional in this case).
    Malicaii12 likes this.
  7. After much thought, and everyone's awesome input. I have decided we will do the following:

When we update to MC 1.0 of course the non Town worlds will be reset. Every server will have one normal world, one nether, one Town (and prob one End at some point). The normal world will be called the Wilderness. Wasteland confuses people and Wilderness explains itself.

With each new Wilderness I will have 3 or 4 outposts in place (like the one outpost on smp1). This should help spread out the damage from everyone walking from the spawn.

I cant say the wilderness will never be reset, but I dont think we will schedule it for every month. Lets just give it some time with the outposts and everything and we can address it again as a a community later. What I can say is that some day we will have to reset the wilderness, so don't get too attached to building something epic in it. I am also playing with new ways of auto repairing land around the spawns :)

Sound like a plan everyone?
    MR2R2M, slozon, Malicaii12 and 2 others like this.
  8. I actually don't see the impact of monthly world resets on the in-game economy being anything more than minimal. And I see the effect it will have as positive.

Resources will become somewhat easier to get for a short period of time... depending on how many active players there are at the time. This will mean that eveyone will have an easier time getting resources... including shop owners. Yes, the prices of items may temporarily need to go down, but the amount of work it takes to get those resources will also go down... in equal proportion. So it ultimately amounts to the same thing in the big picture.

Monthly resets will actually have the effect of causing a sort of economic boom each month. Not a money boom, but a resource boom. It will be the time to stock your shops. The time to sell and make money will come at the end of the month, when the resources are harder to get and people are more inclined to go shopping than mining.

But this economic cycle imposed by monthly world resets will only have minimal effects on the economy. Those who mine will still go mining even if the area around the spawn building goes down to bedrock, and those who shop will still go shopping even if the world is reset every day.

Actually, the prospect of a reliable monthly economic trend is great for shopkeepers. Even if the effects are minimal, it will give us something to expect, work with, and rely on... a time when it's easier to fill our chests, and a time when it's easier to empty them.

I think that's great!
  9. i would vote yes (but how?) because even when smp2 was launched, within an hour i had trouble navigating. maybe add yet another world, called something clever, and it is reset weekly. it is just like wilderness and such, but better. wilderness is monthly, and wastelands is never, maybe quarterly. utopia is never (of course), but use something like mc edit and have somebody go in and refill the empty parts that are gone or abandoned. for example that big thing near spawn that is mega greifed.
  10. Running multiple worlds causes more lag on the server, and being that the world is endless it doesn't really make sense. Starting with 1.0.0 we will only have one Wilderness world per server.

As an experiment here is the changes I have made as part of the 1.0.0 release:
    • Increased spawn protected zones to 200x200 (100 in any direction from the spawn building)
    • Wilderness will have 4 outposts open (North, East, South, and West)
    • Disable TNT (we are like the only large server that has TNT enabled)

After these changes go into effect with the 1.0.0 MC release we will give it some time and see if it helps the problem of the world being destroyed too quickly. I am also playing with some code to repair areas around the spawn but it is still experimental.
  11. Sorry only 3 mins till work starts, but are you saying that tnt will be useless just like every other server?
  12. Might I suggest obtaining a plugin that reloads world chunks every once in awhile if there has been no activity in the specified chunk regions for a certain amount of time? Like, say, once a week for any chunks that have not been mined in or traversed for some time, starting around spawn and working its way outward.

It's understandable that the staff would prefer not to use one of these plugins, due to lag tolerance issues, player complaints, etc. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to offer this up. Since we're resetting worlds anyway, I thought it would be nice to have one of these. It could keep spawn but reload any altered chunks without forcing a world reset except when necessary.

While we're at it, I suggest trimming the Wilderness with a border to help with lag tolerance.
    I doubt most people will be willing to traverse 10,000 blocks unless there's a Stronghold they want to explore there before the reset.

Look on the bright side: All that Gunpowder you got stocked up can be used to craft Splash Potions (regular potions enhanced with Gunpowder to create grenade-like projectile weapons). Most useful in hairy situations during exploration and resource gathering, in my opinion.
  13. Well Dark Liz if it's such a problem of greifing, stealing, ect tell people it's only for getting materials, building is at there own risk. So town is the only safe haven but to reset wilderness and wasteland at like at a 4 month period. (Since of Tnt holes) It would give people more time to move out of wilderness/wastelands before you guys reset the worlds. A compermise to this problem i think.;)
  14. i think we should reset every server about ever 3-6 months. Dont reset Vaults or Plots of land though.

We should ask players if they want their plots reset. Along with their vaults/chests.

it would be unfair to the people who voted to keep the servers how it is, especially if they had loads of priceless resources.

If you go through with this and reset everything monthly, i think many players will leave the server (<- just a theory).
  15. Town and vault/chests in town will only be reset due to inactivity and by request, only wasteland/nether will be periodically reset.
  16. Would it be possible to consider resetting the End at least enough so players can enjoy killing the Enderdragon with their friends on this server? It's a wild thought, considering that Vanilla Minecraft only allows for 1 Enderdragon per server with no respawns, but I thought I would throw it out there.
  17. Yeah once the real bukkit comes out I am sure the community will start to come up with ways to have the dragon reset or some other use for the end, currently it really doesn't have a place in MP.
  18. Thinking about it more and more would it be possible to have a ender dragon arena yet? I think that would be a realy awesome idea and that the arena hasnt realy gotten the glory it deserves
  19. I am sick of traversing the wastelands at night and losing myself in the junk, I once fell into a player made ditch that tricks the eye into thinking its ground, killed me, lost diamonds ="{
  20. I Think adding new out-posts would be better, or like a different kind of "spawn lobby" not on the ground Above it, with all the outpost TP's, I know its not safe to build in wastleland/wilderness But its alot bigger of an area to be able to build in, i mean me and crazy1080 are working on a huge castle and city 20000 away from central spawn.. surely you wouldnt need to reset the WHOLE Wild, Only parts that are gangled, i know that might be harder, But i mean think about it, people shouldnt be so in-considerate about the map, Destroying to to bit should be a commandment. I love building and sharing city's and bases with crazy1080 and many other people in community efforts WAY away from all the pesky greifers, looters, and destroyers.... Why do good people need to suffer from the bad ones still longer in this world..