Poll: Best operating system?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BobTheTomato9798, Mar 6, 2012.

?

Best operating system

Mac 7 vote(s) 18.9%
Windows 23 vote(s) 62.2%
Linux 7 vote(s) 18.9%
  1. Oh no. NOOOO! SMOOCH TWITCH AND OTHER MODS R IN THE ARMY!!! Dx
  2. Not my fault you said that xD
    IPwnCreeps likes this.
  3. I haven't voluntarily used a Windows machine in about 8 years, so I really have no idea :D
  4. AGHHH! God I hate when people say that Windows is more user friendly than Mac OSX. Linux is pretty good, it's a little oversimplified and outdated thought. And, I second the "top quality materials" thing, as my 6-year-old mac laptop outperforms my dad's brand-new PC. :D Windows just gets a lot of votes because most people haven't ever even used Mac OS or Linux. Windows is OVERRATED!!!!!!
  5. The conversation depends on what you are talking about. If you mean best OS for a server, Linux wins hands down. If you mean for a desktop I have to give it to Windows, but before 7 I would not have voted Windows.
  6. Oh god I hate unity. It isn't as bad as Gnome 3.0 shell but it's pretty terrible IMO. *misses 2.x* I just use Xfce now with the panels arranged like gnome 2.x
    margaritte likes this.
  7. I didn't upgrade from Natty for weeks and weeks because I didn't want to deal with Unity :D
  8. Yeah, I stopped using ubuntu when unity came out. I've always been a SUSE fan, but using ubuntu was easier as I liked their gnome configuration. After unity I figured if I'm going to have to go back to tweaking everything to get the desktop how I like it I might as well go back.
  9. I have both Mac, pc and I had Linux :)
    I say windows is more userfriendly for 1 reason: it's easier to get support and software. Also, the GUI itself it's not focused on some determined number of programs at the dock but yes on all the programs in a list style, right out of the box.

I personally prefer Mac, but I'm not the average dad who just got his first pc, or the one who with effort can turn on the pc. See, each one fits a pocket and a person.
  10. You're probably right about Win 7. On the occasions I use it, it works very well; but I'm just a huge fan of Open Source and frankly think that the many flavors of Linux are very competitive. Plus, it keeps me on my toes looking up how to get it to function or figuring out things on my own that Windows does for me. I guess that's the same reason I use a rooted Android phone.
  11. The most user friendly OS is the one you use.

These days, it's very hard to find someone who's never used a computer before, to someone who has been exposed to Windows will find Mac OS X very unfriendly. I know I did. I had a friend a few years back who wanted me to build him a computer. He'd never used computers before and he said he wanted linux. I set him up one with KDE 3 and he didn't have any trouble at all figuring out how to do things.

Mac fans will always say Macs are easy to use, windows fans will always say windows is easy to use.
  12. From reviews I've read, Linus and I must be the only two people alive who think that Unity is (or at least has the potential to be) a marked improvement over Gnome. Out of the box, Unity fails on several fronts, but with a few tweaks it does everything I need. Of course, I like tweaking. Others' mileage may vary.
  13. Oh? I thought Linus switched to XFCE. If you mean improvement over Gnome 3, then yeah I'm with you on that.

I had been using gnome since late 1.x days, I'd got so familiar with the setup, and to me the most recent 2.x was just perfect. Everything I wanted. I don't understand why they had to redesign everything and throw out such a good system to start over.
  14. Skynet is, and will be forever, my god. Skynet knows all and is all. Skynet has control of everything, including your computer
  15. Could you please stop posting with every word beginning with a capital? It's hurting my brain, I keep reading every word in my head as a new sentence and you come of sounding like an over done Captain Kirk parody.
    hayleycolgan and margaritte like this.
  16. Grammar Police, Pretty Much Huh?
    xD *I'm just trolling here :p*
  17. Yeah I know, I don't usually do this.. felt like a bit of a grammar policeman lol.
    copherfield likes this.
  18. ok one word... Mac
  19. I've always preferred Windows. I've used Macs before, and while things tend to work alright, I never thought the interface was very simple without perhaps having been through the initial setup. Linux I like, but since I'm constantly switching back and forth between such a mixed bag of tasks, it doesn't suit me.

I also don't have much love for macs because they're now just overpriced PCs. I had a little respect for them back when their hardware was proprietary, but since it's all Intel now it's just a very easy way to spend a few thousand dollars on something you could build for half that or less.

As for the Mac outperforming the PC as Twinshicken mentioned, that's likely for the same reason Linux regularly outperforms PCs... as long as it's something the Mac or Linux machine can do. As far as software availability goes, Windows still wins by a long shot.

Overall Windows is best suited for what I do. I play games, I code, I surf teh webz, and I use a lot of software that either just isn't available for Linux or doesn't have equivalents that I enjoy. Macs I don't normally use, and won't own one, because they're just way too expensive for what they are.