Players policing the auction forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by sgx2000, Aug 24, 2013.

1. its simple, dont breaks rules and people wont remind you that your breaking them :)
    PenguinDJ and cddm95ace like this.
  2. I completely agree with Cddm on this. I'm not trying to argue the point further, but I would definitely consider keeping the auction holder out of trouble a relevant discussion, leaving it within the rules. Although, like Chickeneer said, scavenging the forums for rule breakers is a bit excessive and shouldn't be done, and I can understand that being considered annoying. But if a moderator thinks otherwise, then I'm fine with switching to using the report button instead of a reply to the thread.
    PenguinDJ, cddm95ace and jkjkjk182 like this.
  3. i personally try to pm people explaining the rules keeps the thread clean
    PenguinDJ and chickeneer like this.
  4. This is a great idea :)
    PenguinDJ, R0bbieJo and sgx2000 like this.
  5. This was mentioned by someone else a bit up the thread as well. If you feel like it is a small enough thing to not a staff member involved, just simply PM the person. No need to spam up their thread with your corrections. We all need simple reminders from time to time, but sgx did point out, it is indeed not really part of what should be posted in the auctions forum.

If someone continues to break the rules and you have already said something to them, then contact a staff member, we will handle the situation past there. While we enjoy seeing players trying to see others follow the rules, its actually our jobs to 'police' it. If it is to the point that the only reason you post in a section of the forums, is to correct people, I would suggest you find another section to entertain yourself.
  6. psssh i post in forums to get likes from equinox
    PenguinDJ, uglydragon and jkjkjk182 like this.
  7. I have thought of doing this before, as in theory its a good idea, but there is one downside to it. If a player illegally bumps, with this method you support, a few people will PM them, which could be an annoyance in itself. But there will also be those who report the post, seeing that no one has said anything publicly to the auctioneer. Which is why I personally post a cut down quote of the rules IcC posted (sometimes with a small explanation, including smiles), with the area of infraction highlighted in a delicious color, to show non-hostility. I only do this if the most recent post is within 20 minutes. By posting a small quote of the rules, everyone knows that the auctioneer has been informed, and no excess PMs and/or very minor reports are sent. Everyone is on the same page (no pun intended), and no one should feel put down.

If I were new the the site/auctions, and I got 3+ PMs from players about bumping, and then one from a staff member who wouldn't be able to know if other PMs were sent, I would pretty much hide and retreat into my internet corner for the time being because I would feel like I am in trouble, and I would get fed up after the first two warnings (especially from normal members).

Just another view on how the PM method could turn out. :)
  8. Very nicely explained Jk, and definitely changed my view on it a little bit. I actually dove through the auction forums last night. To see what all this fuss was about. I will say that someone constantly correcting every active auction thread about illegal bumping (in most of these cases being within 20 minutes of the 3 hour limit) can seem a little irritating. What I would personally do, (especially after the light you have given about the PM method) is if it is excessive, say something. The 3 hour rule is not to jump on someone who posts one bump at 2 hours and 42mins. Its for the guy who posts every 30 minutes for 3 hours. Those are the ones we wish to discourage. If its within 15 minutes it tells me that person knows the rules, and either got sidetracked, or just pressed reply to early.

If someone does it MULTIPLE times, and it seems that they honestly have not read the rules, point them in the right direction. (Like you suggested) The way you present the rule they are breaking, and try to be as far from hostile as possible, is a very good way to go about it. Now, after you make that post... thats it, no 2nd reminders, no arguing with the Auctioneer, you warn them about it once, if it continues or there is backlash, report the post, alert the staff, and move on. Your responsibility as a player ends there, and it enters staff territory.