Pc help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AmusedStew, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Nothing is cut or bent on the power adapter. If it is the battery, where can I buy those if I can?
  2. Sorry to double post but at first glance this could be one of my issues

4. Everything may seem to operate correctly, laptop running and battery charging, then for no apparent reason the battery

may stop charging and or the laptop may turn off. This is often caused by the power plug that connects from the charger to the laptop failing. Sometimes the cable breaks where it joins the plug. This can occur if it has been sharply bent or is repeatedly been bent at this point. Generally wiggling the end of the cable will cause the battery to charge then not charge. Beware though this fault is often as a result of the internal laptop socket failing.
  3. I have found HP laptops to be well made personally, all HP stuff I have had has worked fine.

Where is the charge port positioned? Back or side?
  4. Side.
  5. Does the charge port physically feel loose? Obviously don't use too much force, but see it it feels loose. It can come loose if, while plugged in, it is picked up at an angle that puts pressure on the charge port.
  6. This is exactly what is happening as I see it, I am on my computer because I wiggled the cable in the right way to make it charge >.>

The cable has a small amount of wiggle room when plugged in, also sometimes when it seems to be plugged in, the LED beside the cable port thinger stays off at certain times.

My cable is working fine as I know, but... I think it is the internal laptop socket

If it is, I do not think I have the qualifications to open this thing up and fix it... I hardly know what half the parts inside it are...

Not sure how much it will cost to fix but if it is a cheap fix I will be happy.
  7. You could always use this area to find the right AC adapter or battery, if that turns out to be the problem.
    Also, if it's the adapter or battery, it depends on the cost of a new one, which shouldn't be much. $100 at most. The internal socket might be tricky to find a replacement for on the internet, and depending on the computer type, it might not be easy/possible to replace by yourself.
  8. You are looking at a likely $70-$100 fix, based off of a few Google searches. You can email a few local repair shops and ask for an estimate. Hopefully I am entirely wrong, but it looks like the cost is sourced from the labor involved, as the part itself is around $5.

I would just deal with it if it is tolerable until you can't stand it anymore. You could also wait and end up investing in a newer laptop as well, since $70+ is a lot to spend on an aging laptop.
  9. Nuuu Stew don't dis. Where's your pc I will give it a stern talking to.

In the mean time I do some searching for a solution for ya ;)
  10. Thats what I am afraid of... If the part is only 5 bucks I will have my mom ask her friend's nephew if he can fix it (he does tons of computer repairs not sure if he can do laptop repairs).

Of course I will get a new laptop eventually but if that was my only option it would be a while.
  11. You could potentially look for something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion...791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23528de707

Use a broken laptop of the same model to charge the battery, then swap the batteries. Pretty risky bet, but good deals sometimes come your way on eBay. You would just have to look often and confirm with the sellers that it does in fact charge the battery. Somebody's busted screen problem becomes your charging solution lol.

A safer bet would be this though:
    http://www.amazon.com/External-Batt...sbs_147_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=19Z98C85EG0VY0068P72
    You could pick up another battery for ~$15 and always have a charger battery. If getting the laptop repaired is cheaper, obviously go with that route.
    AmusedStew likes this.
  12. Potentially ask the geek squad or geek friends? This doesn't really sound like something home-fixable. I could be wrong, but I'd recommend taking it to someone who knows what the problem actually is. Last resort of course.

Also, if you need to keep a voting streak, I can vote for ya
  13. A couple of the sites allow for mobile voting so I am good there, thanks for offering though. I should be able to get the part fixed cheap if problem persists...

My last resort is what jkjkjk suggested, either an external charger or another broken computer that could charge.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  14. Actually, I have found HP customer service very good. If you were to give them a call, they would either offer a new laptop or guide you through steps on how to resolve the problem that you are having with your product :)
  15. The computer is fairly old (at least 2 years old), and I have no receipt or anything... not sure how customer service would handle that but I will give them a call tomorrow!
  16. If you need any help, just PM me in-game or on the forums :)
  17. 2 years old for a laptop isn't very old, and you don't really need a receipt unless you want your money back or a replacement, so you should totally be good with customer support

Also, maybe it's just the way you worded it, it sounds like the charging port could either be broken, or there's a disconnect between your charging port and your battery. I'm not quite sure how well an external charger would work in those conditions.

Now, this is out of my area of "expertise," if you'd even call it that, lol. But your laptop gets charged from an outlet right? That's pretty much an external charger right there. I searched for "external chargers," and all they appear to be are like portable chargers that plug into a laptop's charge port. Correct me if I have the wrong idea though
  18. Yes, I plug mine into a thinner that holds like 7 plugs areas... #technicalterms

I think it is the internal thingermajigger.. the computer dies FAST when unplugged or in this case not charging (I didn't know before that leaving it plugged in 24/7 and when I noticed you shouldn't do that it was too late)
  19. If it was an internal thing, it probably wouldn't even work plugged in. You say the computer dies quickly when unplugged or not charging, and that really makes it sound like a battery problem. If you have to, like others up there said, you could contact HP about it, but they won't be able to do much besides offer advice, unless you had a 2 year warranty or more. Anyway, the way you're phrasing it, it sounds like it's a battery problem.
  20. You can contact HP, but according to this source, charge ports are not covered under warranty. The dv2000 is relatively old as well, so it is unlikely that it is covered under any sort of warranty. You could do it on your own, but it is not as easy as unplug old, plug in new. The laborious part is finding your way through the internals.

This is the part you would want:
    http://www.amazon.com/HP382816C1-HP-Pavilion-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0049WI8MW

This is video that will take you through a similar process (different laptop, same goal):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEgUOICgqk

So yeah, doesn't look fun.