Nostalgic: Visting an elderly Super Turkey

Discussion in 'Writers' Corner' started by ShelLuser, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Hi gang!

As some of you may know I have an outpost in the SMP9 Frontier. It's not much right now (definitely not in comparison to some of the other outposts I'm a part off) but it's home, it's mine and I'm having an awesome time there. Recently Aya & me finished a nether railway which allows us to more easily go back and forth to SMP9 town. It's a tedious job to build, but when looking back it was a lot of fun. And this opens up quite a few more options for playing. For example: right now I'm walking around the outpost with my full voters getup, something which was pretty much impossible only a few weeks ago.

Because I've also been chatting a bit with some SMP9 players Aya and me eventually ended up in the SMP9 town to look around a bit; and while we were doing that we started chatting a bit. I don't remember how the subject came up, but suddenly Aya wondered if our old island would still be there.

You see.. Before we got settled deep in the Frontier we occupied a small island which was relatively close to an outpost (only 2k blocks out). And one very notable feature was that we had a super turkey which spawned there. When Aya and me traveled deeper into the Frontier we took everything with us but decided to set the Super Turkey free. What would have become of it?

And so we decided to grab a boat and set sail (almost literally as you can see :D ). I roughly remembered the location so I set my compass and we sailed out. The first two islands were obviously misses but then all of a sudden....

Yeah, this is what I really enjoy about the Empire: everything you do in the Frontier stays in the Frontier (generally speaking). The island itself was obviously pretty empty but everything we had dug out was still there. The staircases, the ladders... the whole lot.

Aya and me quickly lit up the cave / room we had made below (it's now basically an empty stone room) and then started looking in the mines below. Would "Cluckie" still be there?

Well... what do you know. After having left him on the island almost one year ago he was still safe and sound. Sort off ;)

Unfortunately it turns out that chickens, and turkeys, aren't very smart. As you can see its health bar is pretty low, but neither Aya nor me have attacked it. The problem is that it really seems to like that opening you see in the screenshot, and whenever it enters and leaves it somehow manages to suffocate itself for a brief moment. Enough to damage it :confused:

Unfortunately disaster struck :eek:

While we enjoyed our reunion and cleaned the place up a bit (removed the lava) a creeper suddenly snuck in and left quite the impression. Cluckie was fine, obviously, the little critter has plenty of hitpoints to spare. But his chicken friend which we left him with wasn't so lucky and got blown up.

Aya was convinced that poor Cluckie was obviously heartbroken, something had to be done...

Unfortunately we didn't have any potions on us, and even if we did then it would probably have been regular potions. In order to heal mobs you'd need splash potions. And although I sympathized with the little guy I wasn't exactly planning on going back and forth to town in order to heal a mob.

But maybe there was another way to make him happy again... You see: Cluckie laid quite a few eggs during the time we were there. One way to find out, right?

And guess what? Aya got lucky and soon enough Cluckie had a little chick which was now following him around:

Seriously: if you want to see something funny then you should try this too: set up a Super Turkey with a small chicken which follows it around. As you probably know Super Turkeys can run really fast, the same applies to Cluckie here. And small chickens run after older chickens at first. Well, it's really funny to see a turkey run around closely followed by a small chicken which also starts running around :)

But yeah, this was really funny. The family is still together.

And right now I can't help wonder if this Turkey isn't one of the older Turkeys alive. It got spawned somewhere during the Turkey season last year (2016) and it's still with us today. Considering that most players kill turkeys I can't help wonder if it hasn't become pretty old in comparison :)

Anyway... just like last time we left it alone, and it was busy walking deeper into the cave system when we left it this time.

But yeah, I think this is one of those cool Empire features which most of us more or less take for granted (myself included). And it is cool if you then get confronted with things like this: build something in the Frontier and under normal circumstances it'll still be there when you come back. Even if you come back after more than a year and even if your stuff predates the anti grief system :)

Experiences like these really remind me once more why I keep playing here and why I'm generally having such a great time.

Felt like sharing :)
    MoreMoople likes this.
  2. As you said, it's things like these that make the Empire great.
    ShelLuser likes this.