Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by 607, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Hi, it's me again!

In about 15 minutes from now, a preview trailer for the NX will be shown. Source
    I am definitely interested and going to watch.
    I anticipate the NX to be a home console and handheld hybrid. I hope it will use cartridges instead of optical discs, but I'm afraid that won't be the case.
    I hope it'll be more successful than the Wii U, at least. ;)

PS: I'm sorry for lacking polls lately, but I don't really feel like including useless ones anymore, so if I can't think of anything interesting quickly enough I'll just leave it empty.
  2. Oh wow, both of my predictions/hopes were right.
    It's looking really good!!

PS: Requested to change title. ;)
    ForeverMaster0 and SkeleTin007 like this.
  3. yeah looks very cool, if they give us a new Mario and Zelda without doing another remake then i'm down for buying it
    ForeverMaster0 and 607 like this.
  4. Some thoughts: (probably disorganised because my mind is disorganised :p)
    No region-locking! Finally!
    Cartridges, yes! That's awesome, they load much quicker, aren't so fragile and take up less space.
    A new Mario Kart and a new 3D Mario, that's always good. Zelda will of course also sell the console.
    I hope the battery life is going to be good enough.
    I like the ability of taking the controller apart and playing multiplayer without an extra controller.
    There seems to be very good 3rd party support! I mostly care about 1st party titles Nintendo-wise, as they're always great, but the Wii U not being good for playing games like Skyrim, FIFA, NBA et cetera turned many people away from buying it. It looks like the Switch will fix that problem, there's quite an impressive (unofficial) list of developers making games for the system.
    It's good how the trailer focused on gaming. The Wii being marketed as a family system and even partly a fitness device worked well, but nowadays the target audience for gaming consoles should be gamers. The Wii U went wrong here by focusing too much on things like chatting and drawing. Gaming is what we want.
    I like how the new Splatoon was showed as an eSport, it might be a sign of Nintendo becoming more supportive of streaming and uploading their content to Twitch and YouTube.

I am quite excited and relieved, I think this could really work out for Nintendo!

ForeverMaster0 likes this.
  5. >:p dangit! You beat me to it! Aw well I'm feeling optimistic about this console and I am excited for the new games :)
    ForeverMaster0 and 607 like this.
  6. That is mind blowing I love to get that when it comes out looks so awesome:D
  7. Haha, that doesn't mean you can't give your own little review! ;)
    ForeverMaster0 likes this.
  8. Interesting...my reaction was completely opposite. :)
  9. What is region locking?
  10. When certain systems and games are only available to specific countries and areas.
    607 likes this.
  11. Oh? Namely?
  12. I'm going to watch the Switch presentation now (it was at 5 AM for me, so I couldn't watch it live)!
    It's available on the official Nintendo YouTube channel:

13. That was very interesting and promising!
    And wow, that Breath of the Wild trailer...
    So much goosebumps!! Wow!
    Here's the English version.
  14. The new Legend of Zelda game looks really good. I also really like the Switch and the hybrid thing. It gives the Switch a real reason to buy it over a normal gaming pc. My main concern is that the individual controllers don't have 2 analogue sticks on them. It seems like this will hurt the local multiplayer for a lot of games. Overall though, it looks like they took the best of the wii and wiiu to make something really cool.
    607 likes this.
  15. The Switch should be available now (pre-orders are being satisfied first of course).

A few reminders:
    ---------------------

* The Nintendo Switch is currently $300, the same price as the Wii U - Basic Set was at launch.

* The "Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild" is available; the game's development story is "Twilight Princess" all over again. A "true" 3-D Mario game, Super Mario Odyssey, is releasing near the end of this year.

* The Switch does have its own Pro Controller, just like the Wii U, but they have to be bought separately.

* Since Switch games are in cartridge-form again, the console is not backwards-compatible with Wii U titles, which use discs (from what I know).

-

Personally, I'm not buying a Switch anytime soon. "Breath of the Wild" is the only available game on it I'm somewhat interested in. I'll most likely wait until "Super Mario Odyssey" comes out or for the Unown -- Switch Pokémon game Game Freak is working on.

I feel a lot more mild and in-control of myself than I was 5-6 years ago with the Wii U announcements and launching. Plus, after acquiring a Wii U, I got more focused on PC games, including 'Minecraft' and 'Terraria'.

-
    607 and SkeleTin007 like this.
  16. I probably won't be buying a Switch any time soon either. I'd like to wait 5-10 years, in fact, although I was expecting to do that with the Wii U too, and ended up buying it when Super Mario Maker was released.
    I do still think the Switch will be able to do much better than the Wii U.
    Breath of the Wild being the only 1st party title so far isn't a big deal, I think, as the line-up of 2nd and 3rd party games being created for it is wonderful.

I like how Sethbling started speedrunning Breath of the Wild before its release. :p