New world that is periodically "reset"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JustinGuy, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i like the ideas i am reading here :) very nice ideas! cheers!
  2. To be honest, having any type of protection in the Wasteland kind of ruins the survival aspect. It would be awesome to have absolutely NO protection and just a wasteland where everyone has to survive and build stuff to keep the badies out. Pretty much like single player, but in MP. The only problem is the people that would grief the stuff you place and it would pretty much ruin it (unless you were playing with people you actually KNOW wouldn't do that and not just randoms).

As far as the new world goes, that sounds pretty awesome. My only concern is, what seems to be the general concern, spawning in an undesired location upon logging back in. Might I suggest a monthly, or even bi-monthly, resets on the new world. Having a reset every day or week would seem like a bit too much. I would probably go with bi-monthly. Worlds are pretty vast and certainly all the resources won't be exhausted within a week, let alone a day.

The name of the new world should be taken from lore or something, in my opinion. Worlds with Norse or Latin names always seem to be the better choice when it comes to naming. In Norse mythology, there are nine worlds. You can use Wiki to find said world names. You know, things like "Asgard," "Midgard," "Helheimr" (world of the dead), etc. (P.S. The other names are hard to pronounce, that's why I left them out, but I think you know what I'm getting at.)
    NurseKilljoy likes this.
  3. i saw what u posted on the forms on the MC website and i think it should update its self 1 time a week it gives people some time to find strongholds and resources then it will update and u can call it autoness well i don't know what to name it also u should put on the news that (the new world will reset in a week and stay at your own risk). i don't know i new to this sorry.
  4. i myself would say monthly bi monthly at the longest and ya norse name would be cool i like asgard personally +1 postop
  5. Wow Justin thats a great idea! In fact it will solve a lot of resourse lacking going on in the Wilderness (yes I know this world is new :) ) and the Wasteland (it isn´t really a lack of resourses but lets be realistic... most of the people gets frustrated when they have walked long distances in search for something and do not find it).

So my proposition for the new self-regenerating world will be: THE CONTINUUM or THE UBIQUITY (Fancy names but they sound cool!)

I think that this world should be reset at the end of the weekend...Every 3 days will upset ppl cuz a world isnt just a little bunch of dirt, we are talking about a whole world to be explored XD! Let´s say it will be Sunday or Monday maybe very late at night.... I´ve been up like till 4:00 am and theres at least.... 2 ppl online so that wouldn´t be a big trouble cuz most of the ppl login at 12:00 md and at night.

If theres anyone at this world when the reset is going to be done then i suggest to tp the to the Town Spawn.... it would be easier for them to go and store there collected resourses once the world resets

It´s just a humble opinion but personally i think its the best and the easiest way to do it pleasing everybody :)
  6. I'm starting to think that fortnightly would be the best interval, as Dirge said
  7. I like the resetting world idea. My complaint is more for aesthetics, It bothers me having a spoiled world full of pot-holes and destroyed landscapes. I love the idea of having a fresh world to explore every week.
  8. k
  9. I spent the better part of yesterday playing with code to auto-generate and roll over worlds. Unfortunately I found that this is going to be very hard on the system, especially as we continue to grow. Also solving some of the "quirks" such as people that are offline for a couple days then come back to find themselves in an entire new place, resetting the live map, etc.

But lets summarize what we have been talking about. The goal was to give new areas to explore (without walking for days and days) with fresh resources. My initial thought process came to the conclusion that we need a new world. However now thinking deeper the worlds in MC are endless, so we can solve this using the current world (some servers bigger than ours only have 1 world).

I now propose (this idea began from a suggestion in the anonymous community survey, thanks to whoever contributed it!) that we create the outpost system in the Wasteland (if all goes well we can add it to the Wilderness later). The system will be pretty simple, every couple of weeks I will add a new outpost somewhere far away in the Wasteland. Each outpost will have a small protected area (to keep people from building around it) and a single portal back to the main world spawn. In the main world spawn we will have a room that has portals to each outpost.

I think that this will solve having new areas to explore, and it will not destroy the survival aspect. Also this will be easy to put in place and maintain.

Any objections?
    VortexFamiliar likes this.
  10. That sounds perfectly fine to me.
  11. sounds good justin what ever is easiest on you as well i do not think we all want to add a ton of work for you and on that note....can the wasteland get reset b4 you put this into effect?
  12. One of the reasons we're setup how we are with multi-world, is so that no world's ever have to be reset. We decided this for those that like to venture and build things, not in Town, can be sure their work won't go away automatically due to resets.
    JustinGuy, Dark_Liz and PostOpPrince like this.
  13. The outpost idea does sound like the simplest and most direct way to solve the resource availablility problem.

I think adding one to start might be enough, then adding more as needed rather than periodically (weekly, monthly, etc.). It will take a while before an area is depleted enough to make it hard to find resources, and the time it takes will depend on how many people are on the server.

And yeah, I would object profoundly to having the wasteland reset.
    JustinGuy likes this.
  14. it was just a thought is all
  15. I agree
  16. thus is a great idea you shuld try and put it into place as soon as possible
  17. Would it be possible to have a programmable portal? Say I get out in the back of beyond in the Wilderness and find a nice location to build at, good access to resources and it's far away from the nearest established portal/spawn. So I make it back to town and now I want to go back out, so I enter the /wild command go thru the fixed portal and then spend the next 5 hours navigating across land that looks like a colony of demented gophers on speed have been thru, I do this because those walkways across the sky just plain annoy me and I'm not going to add to them.

Instead, at the Wilderness spawn, could I just poke a sign on a portal, pay say 10 rupees, and get a one way port to a set of X, Y, Z co-ordinates that I give it, no protected spawn area at the target location, just take your chances on landing and no return portal.

Something that I have seen in a couple of RPG style games is a scroll/item/device of return you can only get this from a store in town, one use only and then you need a new one or recharge it, and the cost is enough, say a couple hundred rupees, that you would not be tempted to use it casually and/or has an activation time of x seconds so that using it to get away from combat usually doesn't work.

Just my 0.2 rupees for what it's worth.
  18. in terms of player positions. what about having something just reset their position the first time they login after a reset?
  19. I disagree with changing the name to some LOTR or Nordic/Latin name. Wilderness sounds fine, due to the fact that the empire is a collaberation of all interests and ideas be it Egyptian, Modern, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc. To narrow it down to a set name would take away from individuality. Also if you read the forums you know that the resets of servers wont be reset until JustinGuy posts another poll and the community voices their opinions accordingly. It looks to me right now that the wilderness will be reset either monthly or bi-monthly. To assume it would be daily or weekly is absurd.
  20. I'm sure if the server is reset, and some people are somewhere away from the protected zone, it would just return you back to spawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.