New server on its way!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by JustinGuy, Oct 29, 2011.

1. My computer is.

Code:
    Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz overclocked to 4.60GHz
    Memory: Kingston HyperX T1 Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
    Hard Drive: 2x 1TB drives and 1x Force Series 3 480GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Boot Drive
    Video Card: SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 3072MB GDDR5
    Monitor: 3x Hazro HZ27WD 10-Bit 27"
    Speakers/Headphones: Razer Carcharias for everyday use & Razer Megalodon for Shooters and other things.
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic
    Mouse Surface: Razer Ironclad
    Operating System:Windows 7 Ulitmate 64-bit
    Motherboard: Intel Z68 (Socket 1155)
    Computer Case: Antec DF-85
    Cooling: Full custom watercooling (Orange) 
    Had to edit that a bit, few changes since I made me generic copy paste list haha
  2. What does that i7 run at temp wise clocked at 4.6?
  3. I run 5 instances of Bukkit (not including the dev/test instances!) on my own server which is an i7 @ 4Ghz, Quadcore with HT (4 Physical, 7 logical CPUs).

Each instance runs DynMap (that'll be changing to an external mapper that supports MapMarkers, soon). Garbage collection on my highest memory, highest traffic server is the least significant or expensive single process that happens. For the most part, performance problems come down to disk IO contention and generally bad plugins doing generally bad things.

You're scaling for what minecraft is unlikely to ever be able to handle due to inherent design limitations (I can't call them flaws since they are, legitimately, limitations of what can be done). Mayhaps if someone ever comes out with a viable, alternative server that's well-written, you may get better usage of the beast of a server you're running everything on now.

My primary goal here is to find a new place for my users when I shut down my server at the end of the year. I believe your server may be a place they would enjoy. Very nice, very well-designed and fun!
  4. It's water-cooled so It's not really a true read but around the 60s fan cooled.
  5. Thanks for all the info :) You know when I got started into Minecraft hosting I searched for someone with some Minecraft specific sysadmin experience but no one was willing to help, now you just fall into my lap :) Like you the first thing I did was notice how many horribly developed "popular" plugins there are. Now I can honestly say that we don't run a single plugin that I have not modified, some I just decided to rewrite from scratch. I am really enjoying both the Minecraft and Bukkit communities and it has been a ton of fun putting the Empire together.

I agree that disk IO quickly becomes the bottleneck, I am going to run the new servers completely in RAM. I have been testing it using a regular rdiff-backup to mitigate the risk of severe data loss, and so far the results have been impressive.
  6. My server has been around for ~1.5 years (a year longer than it should have been, honestly).

I've been a sysadmin for almost 16 years now. My primary focus, of course, being UNIX-based systems. I do a lot of BASH scripting. My more recent focus (last 3-4 years) has been as a MySQL DBA. Pays quite well and it's very fun. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

I never ran my server using RAMDisk, the performance benefits in my own case were negligible at best. The startup time sucks when you have to reboot the server for any reason - especially if your gameworld is pushing 5G. Copying that from Disk > Ramdisk can take upwards of 7-10 minutes.

Let me know if you'd ever like a hand with anything or a smidge of help tuning your MySQL instance. Good choice, by the way, on XenForo. Best forum software out there :)
  7. I am an al round (hate to use this term) Webmaster and I must say, when I get called in to fix a website the one thing I hate doing is MYSQL work. mainly because of the fact that they are generally lacking great structure which really grinds my gears.

XenForo is a wonderful piece of software, In the process of converting mall my old vB 3 code over to it, have been since the start of XenForo really.. (I didn't have a lot of vB code left haha)
  8. Bad DB design is the curse of most software.

Developers are, inherently, bad Data architects. I don't know why that is. It's just something I've noticed through the years almost without exception.

Easiest thing to do in order to fix performance in regards to mysql.. turn on the General query log for an hour or so, capture what you can and examine each query. Verify the fields using WHERE clauses are index (and in the case of multiple where clauses make sure it has a covering index). If they aren't, add 'em. Simple change, zero impact. Other ocnfiguration options depend on the engine being used.

InnoDB? Change the buffer pool.
    MyISAM? Change it to innodb. ;)
  9. No no, I know how to fix all those problems, I was just merely stating that in my general day to day work, It's rare to meet a nice database setup.
  10. XD
  11. Why did I just read all of the convo about the server stuff, I have no clue what it all means :confused:
  12. Cause you love the Empire ;)
    GameKribJEREMY likes this.
  13. I want it in my house not in Florida, lol
  14. Ok we are on this new server now. I am going to let it run at 45 max players for 24 hours so I have something to compare against when we increase it. We also have some bigger plans to expand the Empire, but we are still working out the details.
    TonicThunder likes this.
  15. I'm sorry if this question has been answered already but while initiating the new server the town and stuff wont be erased will it? all of our current hard work wont just vanish?
  16. No there is no need to worry about our residences being reset. All worlds will remain the same, however when minecraft 1.0 comes out the only worlds that will have to be reset will be: Utopia, wilderness, and wasteland.
    Hope this helps :)
  17. And my 2 GB goes down the toilet...