Need tech help (again)

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by vividOptimism, May 10, 2012.

1. I can NOT like this enough.
  2. and its only a i5, I have a i7 8GB of ram and a SSD and it still lags now and then...
  3. Thats nothing :p
    I have 16GB Ram,GTX 580 3GB Grapic and the best i5 that exist :p
  4. I was talking about my laptop fella, I dont like to boast but since you started it,

I have a HP workstation with 2x quad core exon CPU's 32GB ram 1 120 GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SATA.
    and Ive topped it off with a nivida quadro 6000. (6gb of ddr5 ram)

Such is the nature of the Internet I will be called out as a fake, so when im home tommrow I will post pictures with a newspaper my passport and a time stamp (yes you will still call FAKKKKKKKKKKKKEE)
  5. No,Ill call it overkill :p
  6. Ok. What type of reasonable laptop should I get? 16 fps with everything turned down takes the fun out of the game.
    What does work well?
  7. Elitebook 2560p works great for me, (i7 8GB ram I put 4gb in) or you could try one of those stupidly over priced alienware laptops (dont!!!)
  8. 2 quick questions:
    - What are your minecraft visual settings? (On my i7 with intel HD graphics I'm able to eek out decent performance with fancy, advanced openGL on, and any view distance - although it will lower frame rates when i move through new chunks extremely fast)
    - Did you delete the 32 bit version of Java? (I have seen this cause conflicts.)
  9. The visual setting are all low. No I did not delete the 32 bit. I just re-installed the 64 bit.

My home pc is an i5 quad core with an after market, low end video card. I get over 200 fps with that. Which makes me think it might be a video card issue or a dual core issue.
  10. You should be alright. I'm using a laptop now with onboard video, core i5.... 64 bit java gets rid of the lag. As long as you don't have 32 bit installed as well.
  11. I have uninstalled java 32. No improvement. This is not a laptop issue per say. I have looked it up on line. Other people have the same problem with no solutions. Anyone?
  12. Why does everyone seem to go for laptops these days, even when they're only gonna use it in one place?

For the same money, a desktop machine is always much better than a laptop. You're paying more for portability, so losing out on power/speed.

Laptops are always a compromise. Their keyboards are not as nice, they're much harder to upgrade, and if something breaks it's harder to fix. Unless you *really* need portability, consider what desktop PC you could get for the same money.

Plus, you could go for dual-screen; it's lovely having live-map on a second monitor :)
  13. PC's are great, I love dual screens, I have 3 at work, 2 for working and one for MC :)
  14. my setup.jpg
    That's what I have.
    I am still having problems with the frame rate on my laptop (center). My Pc guy improved the frame rate by about 20 fps. Impressive since he has never played it before. I feel like there is a bottle neck somewhere.
  15. Like I said in another post, if you disable areo (right click desktop > Personalise > Select windows classic) that will free up some RAM from the graphics controller , I got about 10+ frames a second from doing that alone, then there are some other tricks such as closing all other programs,

Also you may want to check your power settings, laptops limit the CPU's maximum speed to save battery live, to check do the following.

Right click the battery symbol by the clock > Power Options > Select High performance, then click apply,

Now in the bottom right hand corner of the power options screen is a "Advanced power options" link click that, browse though the settings for disk and cpu management setting them all to maximum,

On the intel intergrated graphics section set both to maximum...

I hope this helps and sorry for bashing you Dell :) highpawr.JPG