My Server

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by RainbowChin, Oct 11, 2012.

1. And get full eating the first one and then not manage the second.
    Recommendation, go for the one with the most meat on him :p
  2. I shall enter this battle
  3. :confused:

wait, what?
  4. The profile pictures:)
  5. /me is confused
  6. your a fox!
  7. lol Very true :p
  8. Look at JackBiggin, JoshPosh70 & 1998golfer's avatars...

^JackBiggin^

^JoshPosh70^

^1998golfer^

Now do you understand?
  9. Cutie kitty! XD
  10. That's exactly what JazzyFina said... (She's my sister) She doesn't like the others in comparison to you ;)
  11. You mean "You're a fox!" short for "you are", while your is posessive, I.E. "your name is fox"...
    My name is fox, yes. That doesn't make me one. :p

D'oh!
  12. I love these little pictures that people seem to find! :D
    Nole972 and jaqiefox like this.
  13. Since this thread has gone way off-topic anyway, I'll make a slightly less off-topic, but still off-topic remark:

I think it's sad that Minecraft only runs on a single thread. While it obviously simplifies the programming model substantially, it also makes it not utilize the hardware nearly as much as it could. For the client application, this doesn't matter all that much, as CPU is typically not the limiting factor (it's usually the GPU) but on a server, multithreading could potentially increase performance two-fold or three-fold on a quad-core processor, for instance.

The question is, would it have been worth all the extra work and the risk of new, and hard to chase down bugs? Java is unfortunately not a very good language to do multithreading in.
    Cypher_Rahl, jaqiefox and ISMOOCH like this.
  14. The real problem is the language it is written in... java is by nature inefficient. It's good for things that aren't large and complex, but let's face it, minecraft has become very large and complex server program wise. It needs to be ported to a much more efficient language. There is a third party MC server out there that is written in C++, and it can be run on ancient hardware with far better performance than the official java client. It's so sad such a great game is written in a huge resource hog of a language, but it's so much better than not having the game at all.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  15. Aside from the main fact that X-Box does not support it, the team that ported minecraft, hated the fact it was in java. They recoded in C# and it runs nicer. Yeah, they have the same bugs that previous versions of minecraft had, including new ones, but to be honest, I know it will be easier to fix issues in a C# environment vs. a Java one.

I wish there were a hundred like buttons for this. Today's CPU's walk out of the box so ready and eager to multithread. When you throw a program like minecraft on it, you lose so much of the power that could be used. Like you said, not always the limiting factor, but a program being able to divie its work load on any processor is nice.
    alexschrod and jaqiefox like this.
  16. Sorry for going off-topic again, but that reminds me of an article I read regarding this team porting Android from Java to C#. If you do nothing else, at least scroll down to the bottom and look at the graph, hehe. :p
    Cypher_Rahl, jaqiefox and ISMOOCH like this.
  17. I want to know theese people
    Cypher_Rahl likes this.
  18. Plz no moar Java. KK thnxbai.
  19. Leaving a normal PC on is very damaging to it, causing over heating. Buying a server has a lot more you can do including something.something.something, IP's and no PortForwarding