Live Map res info does not work on Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by honam1021, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Because if you have 200mb of memory free, open chrome which uses 200mb, you now have none free, now open firefox, it tries to consume 200mb also, but cant, so it swaps to disk and lags.

close both, and open firefox first and it gets its memory, itll be fine. ANY app that has to page will slow down.
  2. now i really got to take my own advice.
  3. IE has had problems rendering standardized code since IE5. If it's not working, that's the very well known downside of using Internet Explorer. The very latest (IE9) has only begun to fix these problems.

I am a web developer and I make sure to explain to my clients that if they want to adhere to standards AND Internet Explorer, then they need to pay more because it can, depending on the design, take me almost as long to get IE working perfectly as it does to code the whole site in the first place!

Ditch Chromium and get Google Chrome Beta if you're having Linux issues with it. The stable version of Chromium for Linux is old compared to GCB, and the Chromium betas are not for the faint of heart.

There is absolutely no shame in disclaiming that you do not give support for IE. This is pretty standard, as you may know, and you would be doing users a favor by forcing them to learn how to switch. (And save a little time and effort)
  4. Actually the chromium build I was using was newer than the current google chrome beta, noticed that when I was uninstalling it :)

stable google chrome is working fine so I'm happy :)
  5. "Stable". If you are loading plain black websites, that doesn't sound very stable.

That's what I mean, this was my experience too. (not the same bug, but the same general problem)

Google Chrome Beta is more stable and has more features than Chromium at the moment. It's a weekly snapshot, and you can put their repository in with your normal updates.

::EDIT:: I recommend doing the updates manually with apt or whatever your distro uses. Every once in a while their snapshot has a bug in it, but you can always roll back to the old version that worked for you.
  6. no no, it was chromium that was showing black websites (v 18.0.972.0) stable branch of chrome (v16.0.912) works fine and all the sites I was having trouble with render right. google beta is at v17.0.963 and google unstable is at v18.0.101.

edit:
    I use openSUSE so this is with official suse repo for chromium and google's yast repo for chrome. I don't know what other distros include :)
  7. I said that Chromium stable is less stable than Google Chrome Beta. Exactly what you are describing:

The version numbers don't matter, they are two separate projects. Chromium is built on the Open Source, but Google Chrome is a separate closed source divergence since 2008.
  8. I has always thought chromium was the official google chrome development project, but google takes snapshots and adds some branding patches for their "official builds" OpenSUSE does builds of chromium for the official repo, they don't have stable/unstable branches. I imagine it's just the latest weekly or something, so yeah it probably is more stable (edit: I meant unstable).

To be honest though, I'm not entirely convinced the problem was with chrome/chromium in particular, one of the other things I noticed when switching from chromium to chrome is that one seemed to be linked to gtk the other to QT.
  9. gtk/QT isn't linked officially, I have no idea what that is like that for you..

But no, when Google first released Chrome, they also released the source, from this source Chromium was built. But Chromium has had to remain Open Source, and it isn't allowed to have any proprietary things built in by default like Flash Player, etc.

Also since then, the Google Chrome source has remained closed, and the projects have completely separate code bases. This means that a bug in one is unlikely to be a bug in the other.

Google pays teams of professional developers to keep up their Chrome code base constantly, and it receives a lot more consistent attention.

Basically: If you are a programmer, then go ahead with Open Source Chromium, because it means you will be able to submit bug reports, and patch the source as needed to fix problems that pop up. But even then, it's a lot of work.

There are features that are considered 'experimental' that you may not know about in Chrome. Features stay in 'experimental' in Chrome a lot longer than in Chromium because Google wants to keep Chrome user friendly and uncluttered for the general masses.

If you type about:flags into your address bar of Chrome, you can enable some of the newer features you might not see in Chrome that you see in Chromium.

*wheew* I hope I made that clear enough and not extra confusing...

::EDIT:: I learned all this when I had the problem you are describing. I'm almost positive this, under normal circumstances, will fix your bugs. At any rate, we should probably get back to talking about IE in this thread.
  10. I'm not sure this is correct. I remember when chrome first came out and there was no linux version, you could however get experimental builds from chromium.

According to the About Google Chrome, from the help menu it says:
    "Google Chrome is made possible by the Chromium project and other Open Source software"

as for gtk / qt I believe it's used for the save as dialogs and menus, on other OS they would use their native libraries.
  11. Okay, now I'm sure you didn't even check if you were wrong before continuing this debate...

First line of the Chromium Manual:

::edit:: Goodnight, I hope you fix your problem.
  12. Yes, that looks familiar, I read it to mean Google set up a project under which to relase chrome as open source, and hence Chromium is a google project. Much like Sun started the "OpenSolaris" project to continue their development of Solaris project, same with Star Office/ Open Office.

edit:
    I just googled it, and if you look at the chromium website.

The Chromium projects include Chromium and Chromium OS, the open-source projects behind the Google Chrome browser and Google Chrome OS, respectively. This site houses the documentation and code related to the Chromium projects and is intended for developers interested in learning about and contributing to the open-source projects

if you see it will say the open source project behind chrome, ie, chrome is chromium with additional proprietary patches. many companies do this.

edit number 2:

if you go to the google chrome download site (on linux), there is a link down the bottom that says get google chrome beta or developer releases, and it links directly to the chromium website.

edit number 3:

and I rest my case :p
  13. Oooo browser war!:eek:
  14. While I will acknowledge that you all have opinions of your own, I must say that Waterfox is where it's at.
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  15. I used that too. :)
    Nice one

But I want electric fox :D ( if it exist )
    I like pikachu more than the others (not because of stat but because how it look)
  16. lynx ftw :p
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  17. Lol. Is it all text? Can i see picture with it? And watch youtube?
  18. yeah it's all text. no pictures. no flash. no youtube. it runs in the console, and has got me out of a pickle a few times.

and you know what!? the live map doesn't work!! justin pls fix. :p
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  19. I look forward to seeing a rougelike/ascii re-texture of the live map to be compatible with that browser.
    apamment likes this.