Laptop Hunt Advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by lukafolz, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Hola mis amigos

After an on and off spell from EMC largely due to my horrifically slow laptop I've finally decided to get a new one:)

I've been on the hunt for one sub £500 with I5 8th gen or better as well as a graphics card of the nvidia type. 8GB of ram minimum on the side too.

I've been struggling to find one which tickles my fancy. I was hoping the empire community could help me on my quest.

Thanks for your help :)
    Joy_the_Miner and SkeleTin007 like this.
  2. Well, I have only spent about 5 minutes sorting according to your criteria on newegg.com and came up with this one that appears to be a great deal at the moment, but it does appear to be an extra 50 pounds if google's conversion is correct. If you could somehow come up with an extra 50, I think it might be worth the investment for the savings. Also, I am not sure of all the specs you really would like, but it did cover the ones you mention above aside from cost.

I am also not sure if you can even attempt to get a newegg card or not, but the option to get a card and charge it on the card interest free for 12 months for this price range is also nice deal. You could simply get the card, charge the laptop, pay your 500 pounds towards the initial bill and then have 12 months to come up with the extra 50 pounds. I can vouch that their system does work interest free, you just need to make sure to pay on time, pay a day late, and you get charged a late fee. :confused:

Regardless what you choose, I hope this is worthwhile to consider, and I look forward to what others come up with. If this lingers I may take another stab at it when I have more time. It is cool to see you are getting another laptop, and hope it helps you on your Empire Adventure.

Here is the Newegg Link :)

KnightZer0ne
    Tempered Outpost Founder
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  3. I think KnightZer0ne has a good find~

Of course, it all depends on how you're going to use the laptop, especially since you're trying to fit it within f500. (Us Americans do not have the pound symbol on our keyboard, sorry about that.)

If you do end up getting it, be sure to let us know how it worked out! :)
  4. The issue with laptops is the graphics themselves.

The vast majority of laptops that are not specifically for gaming are going to have integrated graphics, which is a fancy term for garbage. Gaming laptops will rarely run less than $1,000.

Especially at the price range you're looking for, you're not going to find anything good graphics wise. The laptop itself will be newer and faster but the graphics themselves are still going to be among the worst you can get.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-HD-4600-Desktop-125-GHz-vs-AMD-RX-570/2168vs3924

Here's a basic test. Intel HD 4600 (example of integrated graphics) vs a $150 GPU. The overall performance increase is over one thousand percent.

(yes I know userbenchmark is not a reliable source. that is beyond the scope of this post.)

I would highly, highly suggest building a tower, unless you absolutely must have a laptop.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pHRsJb

There is a basic list. The Ryzen 5 3400G comes with integrated graphics, but said graphics are actually more than capable of light gaming loads such as Minecraft. The graphics that come with this processor will be more than enough.

8gb of RAM as you stated and a 500gb SSD for fast boot times. $439, not including an OS, monitor, keyboard, or mouse.
  5. use lbs500 :D

I honestly have no recommendation, I just wanted to make that joke pun :p I have a computer with 16gb storage, 2gb ram, a terrible gpu and terrible cpu, but it works since I do everything in the cloud :rolleyes: