Languages of EMC Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Celori, Feb 14, 2014.

1. I derped. Lol. Pars means "part, half, portion, etc."
  2. So um... Canada... I know sum languages
    English = French = Canadian French

The = Le = Le
    He = Il = Il
    She = Elle = Elle

Potato = Pomme De Terre/Patate = Pomme De Terre/Patate
    Bee = Abeille = Abeille (probably didn't spell that right, whatever)
    Game = Jeu = Jeu
    Video = Vidéo = Vidéo
    Video Game = Jeu Vidéo
    Ice Cream = Crème Glacée = Crème Glacée
  3. Since we're on the topic of foreign languages, in order for me to graduate from my school, i have to have at least two years of either Spanish or Latin. Which one should i take and why?
  4. i say Spanish cuz people actually speak it
  5. Learn Latin and read history! Of course, Latin is much harder.
  6. Depends. If you want to be able to at least learn a few words and grammatical constructions of common Romance languages, then I'd choose Latin, but just a basic course, so you understand the fundamentals. Latin is dead, meaning that it doesn't evolve (and hasn't for centuries), so there isn't really any practical reason for learning it (other than to make people jealous because they don't know what you're saying :p ). Spanish is more widely-spoken, and is evolving with the times. I'd say Spanish is the fourth most used language internationally.

Harder than learning history? Not for me, not by a long shot…
  7. EMC speak to English:

ICC = IceCreamCow
    Res = Residence
    Melon = Nick5013
    Wild = Wilderness
    Budder = Gold
    /shop = Overpriced Lie
    jtc0999 likes this.
  8. It all breaks down on a few key aspects, mainly interest in my opinion as it laps over the rest of them. The others are planned career and travel. If you want to go into world businesses or something like that, do Spanish as it is still spoken. If you are unsure, going into a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) it will probably be better to take Latin. The part about unsure is that Latin is what I like to call a hipster language. Most European languages base themselves in some way from it, making it easier to learn most of them, although modern languages almost completely lost cases, declensions and conjugations of words.
  9. When you can, I would say Latin. I never learnt Spanish though, so who knows. But I really like Latin and it has indeed many interesting things, for example that you learn where many words in modern languages come from. I don't really know anything about Spanish, I guess it would be more difficult than Latin, but that doesn't mean Latin isn't fun.