Items not safe on death

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by 99marvel, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Okay so. How is the death items protection system supposed to work? As far as I know it's supposed to be that your items are safe from everything including players for a period of time after you die. Something like 15 minutes if you're in the area or 24 hours if you're offline. Not sure on those numbers but that's not important here.

Twice in the last few weeks I have died in lava and lost items.

(Less important details):
    The first time I was near my base, fell into a pool in a cave, and managed to log out before I died. I figured maybe I'd try to get out in the time I had since you're immune for a moment when you log in I believe, and just generally the rest of my health. Since items are supposed to be safe I decided it wasn't worth getting the alt on to come save me. I died and half of my stuff exploded out into the cave, which I recovered when I respawned. I only took about a minute to get back, since it was right next to my base. The other half was completely gone. Besides the hassle of getting new gear, I foolishly didn't put my supplies box back in my enderchest and lost it in the process. That stupid box has been with me since like 2016, and had in it a signed book from a long inactive player, a voter shovel, possibly chestplate and others. (replacement is not an option for those in this case)

Today I did it again. Popped into the nether for just a quick grab and go of a single soul sand I needed for an elevator. Managed to fly into one of those caves that's a tall tube with flat walls and filled with lava at the bottom. Using another rocket probably would have killed me, so I tried tunneling into the wall. Long story short I died again. I had a full inventory, and when I returned moments later only the netherite items were there floating on the surface. Lost another (non sentimental but expensive) skulker box all my tools and elytra.

Both times I brought fire resistance and dove to the bottom of the pools, the first time I was extremely thorough, the second there's not many places it could have gone, the bottom of the lava was pretty flat.
    Long story short, I am certain that all of the items that touched lava when I died were burnt immediately, and were not there to find within 2 minutes of death. Is this intended behavior? Is there an exception for dying in lava where your stuff burns like vanilla, but it's safe from players after that? This would make sense in a way, because having them be completely safe makes death very low stakes. But everyone I've talked to who have been here as long as I have all say the same thing which is what I remember, that usually you'll find your items in the lava a long while later.

Unless I'm mistaken about how this is supposed to work, this functionality seems not to be working properly.
    NuclearBobomb and 607 like this.
  2. The code is still there for it. Entirely possible it doesn't work. Idk, maybe I will have time to look at it in a month or two.

But also, people have always said that the items are invisible. I have no idea why that was the case. It is possible that the client stopped trying to pick up things it can't see.
  3. I'm sorry to hear about what happened! :( That does sound like an issue to be investigated.
  4. The last time I died in lava I had thought I lost my stuff until I used F3 + B to see hit boxes. Then I was able to see all the items. They were not invisible just blending into the environment.
    607 and Fred_TWK like this.
  5. Yeah, I did this both times as well. The first time I systematically checked every block at the bottom of the pool with it on. (It was a lava pool at the old bedrock level, so lots of random depth differences.
    And the second time I was in a little tunnel where everything should have been contained, and my netherite was there.

That's an interesting theory. I will add that my netherite armor was visibly floating exactly where I expected everything to be, not sure if that makes a difference.
    607 likes this.
  6. afaik, unless they are in flowing lava, items should come and float at the top, not precipitate to the bottom. could they have been on ledges and other solid blocks around?
    607 likes this.
  7. They were not. The first time was in a very small cave, and items would have been obvious with hotboxes on. Second time was a pit with smooth sides, and the netherite I found was all exactly in the block where I died, where lava was flowing into the small tunnel I made trying to escape.

I may do some controlled tests to confirm this behavior, but I'm pretty confident.
    607 likes this.
  8. Add me to the list of players who have lost items recently. I just died in an ancient city, browsed several web pages waiting for the Warden to despawn then went back to where I died and nothing is there.
  9. if the chunks were loaded while you were waiting for the warden to despawn, the items despawned with it
  10. But the time that takes is longer than vanilla, right? Isn't it 15 minutes or something (Or longer)? I thought the EMC protection was definitely longer than the vanilla 5 minutes.
  11. afaik should be 15 minutes, yes
  12. 607 likes this.
  13. I used to see this kind of message but certainly didn't the last time I lost items.

"Items that despawn will send you a notification if you are online that you lost the items."

That quoted area is from the "now" section of the linked page you posted.
  14. On a slightly related note, last night on smp5 I lost a shulker full of enchantment books. I had roughly 5 shulkers in my inventory that I had used an anvil on to change the name of the shulker to reflect which books were in each shulker. They were in my inventory when I finished renaming them. I then travelled about 40 blocks to place them in chests so they would be sorted and noticed one shulker was missing. I back tracked multiple times and couldn't find it.

I will do a better job recording location and time information next time so I can file a bug report. If anyone else loses items keep the bug report in mind and gather all the info you can when it happens.
    607 likes this.