Is copying illegal in Empire minecraft?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by ninga_is_awesome, May 26, 2012.

1. Who determines what is unique or not?
  2. I have pyramids in my original world, one which I started in beta 1.5.. I built these pyramids and used them as an expanse to my storage room, I do not claim to have created pyramids either, as I know there have been people making pyramids since Inf Dev, maybe even earlier.. As I have stated before, I only copy machinations to improve on their designs and their productivity.
  3. Oh I wasn't accusing you of anything. My point was to those who want there to be a copying rule. Justin had the very first pyramid in EMC. However I've seen tons of them. It would be silly for us to ban/punish everyone with a pyramid because they weren't the first.
  4. I copied myself. Can I be bans plox?
    autumnrain26 likes this.
  5. As much as I agree with the general consensus, I have to admit I can see their side of it.

Lets say you are given a test and the teacher tells you, "Write the best answer you can think of". So for the next plot of time, you pour all of your focus and ingenuity into the answer. Then the test is handed in and so on so forth. Then later, when the tests are being handed back, you notice your neighbors have your exact answer that they took from you when you weren't paying attention and now are getting full marks for it. But they did none of the work to come up with their own answers. They used yours, and furthermore, they used yours without permission. Now how would you feel?

Now granted, if it was not your idea in the first place, and you had copied it from someone else in the first place, I say you have no right to get mad.

Sorry if this makes no sense. It does to me >.>"

Also, I AM with the general consensus of "Ok, he or she took my design. I either don't care, or I take it as a compliment", only maybe I would just politely let them know that I take some offense in their actions. This, of course, should be done in private. And if the person is rude? Ignore them and ban them from your residence so they can't do it again. You can do that right? Ban people from residences? I never felt the need to look into that as the people who visit my res are generally nice people :D
    SecretAznEks likes this.
  6. Glad I could help some people.
  7. This is beginning to infringe into realm number 2 of this argument.
    Realm #2 being, is it ok if someone takes your idea and uses it to undercut you and make more profit/grades when it was your idea in the first place. When I see that someone has copied my res, I make sure that they're not claiming that their res is unique or anything, but that's only if it is copied almost block for block. I do not own the idea of a tall res.
  8. I can imagine how you feel, OP, especially if someone makes something with exactly the same design as yours.
    And just earlier ( i wont mention names) certain person that was mentioned in this topic that he copied a design was bragging about his new building that he is building now, hehe. And now i read that's actually a copy of the ClickZzHd's design. i don't knwo, it's just funny to brag about building that you're actually coping. :)

I totally agree it's not cool to copy unique designs, but also it wouldn't be fair to kick or ban people that are doing it.
  9. Ok, I give up. Someone who copies someone else should NOT be banned :p
  10. /res namehere move false = ban from your res command
  11. Easy way to avoid being copied: Make your structure extremely complex, anyone who tries to copy it =ban from res, and make a wall around it so they cant see inside, problem solved :3
  12. If you would make very nice building i don't think you'd want to hide it behinds walls from everyone to see.
  13. no, i mean like put the walls at the very edge, and have the TP set inside, so from inside u can view it quite well, but from outside its hard to get the details of the structure
  14. Yeah, but if you build a large building like hotel which may look awesome on the outside and totally different inside, because there are floors, walls, rooms and stuff inside. So you have 2 totaly different pictures - outside - inside.
    If I make a hotel with awesome modern shape, no one will know how it looks like if hes teleported inside his hotel room.
  15. Why should copying be banned? If someone sees your work likes it and copies it you shoul feel happy of someone liking your work enough to recreate it. If you spent a lot of time and materials to build something, and they copy it, its simple to figure out that they also spent a lot of work and materials just so they could make another of your fantastic designs.
  16. My builds have inspired similar buildings in the empire. I don't mind. nothing can be exactly the same as yours, and if you are worried it is then take their movement privilidges away.

you don't own any copyrights to any of your creations, because that would be silly and I would LOVE to see you try to get it done. copying happens. Deal with it.
  17. No, it's not and shouldn't be.

...However, people who have had their ideas, creations "stolen" have different opinions to those who haven't had their ideas used. It also depends on what kind of person you are. So before saying that those who don't like people who steal their ideas are being ridiculous (no one has, yet), think about it: would you like your had work and thought stolen or even (sometimes) improved in just moments?