I'm (Actually!) making a video game! And need help!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jtc0999, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Thank you so much! The money will be going towards anyone we need to hire that we cannot find (Animators, voice actors, ect.), to help pay the salary of those working for me, keep the website running, and more! It won't be up for awhile, though. Would kinda like something to show off before we ask for money haha.

Only issue is that i'm not sure what to give out, besides a free copy of the game. Gotta talk that over with a few people...
    jossytheninja likes this.
  2. This seems really cool and good luck. A friend and I are currently working on a game on a $0 budget and free time we find and things have been going really well. Thanks to a ton of free and cheap resources that are high quality, getting into game development is fairly straightforward and as long as you have the passion and dedication, you can make whatever you want. Keep this thread updated with how the project goes. Although zombie games aren't really my favorite genre, I am still interested to see what you and your team come up with. I also like that you aren't going to throw your game into kickstarter and greenlight before it is close to being sort of ready. You could also check out the reddit gamedev section. You might like some of the postmortems from people who succeeded, or failed, at getting big with their game.

As for what to give out, maybe some high quality promotional art or some songs from the soundtrack. People will probably like that.
    jossytheninja and 607 like this.
  3. How about giving away concept art or naming a character after someone who donates something simple like that? Whatever you guys decide I'm sure will be good. Keep me updated :)
  4. It actually is difficult, in my eyes. Without the right kind of skillsets (Or people, in my case), its very difficult to move forward. Hiring Freelancers is an option, but they are NOT cheap by any means (Doing whatever i can now to get some money :p)

I was planning to submit my idea into greenlight in the very near future, but i read a review for a game of how alot of games go into early access, people go crazy and buy it, then the devs take the money, run, and never look back. I want to tell people that "HEY! I'M HERE TO STAY!", but there are still some games that don't do too well, and i'm a bit afraid my game will turn out like that (See: Into Blue Valley). But i can only do my best, which is what i intend to do.

Concept art is a good idea, but it is EXPENSIVE as all heck. First time i went to a guy he wanted 250$ for a SINGLE piece, but thankfully found a guy who did it for 75$ (Was severe issues, so he refunded my money and is going to finish the artwork for free), and its not worth my money right now to spend another 300-800$ on a few people, IF ANY, who help kickstart the game.

Songs are most likley going to be found on the internet, royalty free, because i'm not sure if i can find indie bands, and i'm not sure how much they cost, so there is that :/ So far i have a game code on steam for >9.99, or for <9.99 you'll get a steam coupon for the game (Not sure if steam will make those for me, though).

Want my advice, thought? Get a budget. Without any money, you will NOT go anywhere (Or make a very good game that competes with dev studios, unless you're beyond blessed and find alot of good people willing to work for free.)

(Fun fact: I accidentally closed this window and lost this entire thing. Good thing i copy + Pasted :3)

EDIT: Found some pricing for Indie freelance singers. First i popped on would've costed about... 600$ for ONE song >.>

Another possibilty is to make a special weapon for those who donate a certain amount and give it to them

Also, this is for ANY and EVERYBODY: If you'd like to voice act, please check the original post, i'm setting up something to help you get in contact with me.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  5. If you do get your game on Greenlight, send me a PM and I'll surely leave a + on it.
  6. It is definitely difficult and takes a lot of time and dedication, but I was trying to say that compared to other businesses, such as creating a restaurant which can cost half a million initially, creating games and software is usually a more straightforward process to get into. Making a quality game is still a lot of work and what you and your team are doing is awesome. I never realized how much concept art and freelance stuff cost. I would really recommend reading some post-mortems on the subject (if you haven't already) so you can hear from real people and what they did to succeed or what they did wrong and failed. For example, most people will judge your game before the first minute of your trailer so making a huge 10 minute trailer for kickstarter or steam with the first 5 minutes being interviews or generic footage could end badly. The game my friend and I are making is a hobby free time game for both of us which will likely be released for free when finished. I am doing all of the programming and technical stuff while he does the art and basic models. We both like the idea and are willing to do it for free. So far this has been working great for us although it is definitely not going to be a AAA game. Speaking of losing data, my hard drive died recently and I thought I had lost everything but luckily I found an earlier build I had sent him recently and ended up being able to recover fairly easily by reverse engineering it.
    607 and Palmsugar like this.
  7. Yea, Freelancers are not cheap by any means. I'm looking at Post Mortems right now, and all i'm not seeing much :/ I'll keep looking though. I've also been thinking through the trailer and watching a few trailers, and i have a good idea on what to and not to do, so there is that.

And if only i was as smarticle as you. This entire process might go faster lol

ALSO: For any/everyone (Again, i know), but i'm looking for Female Vocalists! More info on the original post.
    jkrmnj and Palmsugar like this.
  8. Bump, still need help :3
  9. Bump, still looking for help.
  10. I'm a good story writer, I can't draw worth a crap though
    I'm not sure if you need my expertise, if you do, PM me
  11. Very old bump & update!

Game is still alive and going strong, i'm in the process of creating the website, and i'm planning to put up a kickstarter in the next 3-6 months.

However, i still need help! (Surprise lol). I'm needing ANOTHER Co-dev, as well as a Firearm Modeler and an Animator. If you know anyone or are willing to help yourself, PLEASE contact me!
    AIEEEEEEEEEEEEE and jkrmnj like this.
  12. It's good that you try to not make the mistake of setting up a fundraiser too early on in the project.
  13. Amen to that. Last thing i need to is to collect people's money, the project fall apart, and have angry people at my hands.
    607 likes this.