[Idea] New auction system - Thanks mrlegitislegit

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by copherfield, Mar 31, 2012.

?

Is this system great enough?

Yes 5 vote(s) 23.8%
It needs improvments 14 vote(s) 66.7%
No 2 vote(s) 9.5%
  1. Well you know, just in case, also people that makes tons of sells should be more recognized than people that do just enough to become 'trusted' :p
  2. Or a green who actually knows coding? lol.

The main issue with this is you didn't even solve the AUCTION part of auctioning...

This idea sounds like a way to get around the 3 enchant breaking shops problem... but with a much more confusing process.

Plus, your idea would lock the chest on the persons lot and unable to be removed by the player until the buyer collects. Could grief by simply never picking up and that person could then never remove the chest.

auctions need a process for bidding and length and collection.. having a seperate /vault like thing that once you win an auction it is dropped into it would be more ideal. and once you start an auction it simply takes the item away from you and puts it in a vault of your own

cancelling an auction would be done by removing the item from the special vault and then charging you.

bidding I dont know, but those parts of the process would be solid.
  3. Erm, Aikar
    Thanks for the response :)
    But...
    The idea it's basically that you do /auction *price here* and then a /vault like chest open. You drop the item in there and you get a code from the server (that contains the item info) you give that code to whoever wants to buy it and he do /pay (code) then the /vault like chest opens for the buyer and he grabs the item.
    Sorry to ask but... Did you watch the video?
    Cancelling an auction would be done by writing /auction *codehere* close so the chest opens for the auction owner and takes a fee for closing the auction.

And the idea is not to put a locked chest into someone's lot, its to make it /vault like (which is NOT on anyones lot)

please watch the video or check the picture again.
    It's all server data side, not phisical.
  4. Look for example i just sold an enchanted pickaxe, i believe the code was 278-at8s (or something like that) and i had to make a chest shop.
    when the player does /auction *price here* the server creates a virtual shop (not a chest) /vault like and when the player puts the item into the server generates a code containing the info of the item and some random numbers.
    278-at8s-7564 for example.

regarding the way how players start an auction... a friend of mine sent a PM to JEREMY asking if we are allowed to make an external secure website which takes the info from EMC *user logged in* and allows a player to create an auction via a form.

Just like:
    Username: (the website already uses a cookie to import that name from EMC website but it's nice to be shure)
    Item ID: (278-at8s in my case)
    Starting price: 3000r (for example)
    Extra information:
    [IMG HERE] - An image generated depending on the Item ID by the website.
  5. What your suggesting is not an "Auction"... Its simply selling an item...

That was the point I was making.

and I personally think its way too complicated just to solve the problem of 3 enchant enchanted items.
  6. This is not to solve the problem of 3 enchant enchanted items....
    It's to solve the problem that don't allows anyone auctioning items...
    http://empireminecraft.com/threads/auctions-currently-disallowed.5027/ <-- there.

And as i stated this is to proove that a person has an item and to let another person pay for it only if the player has it.
    The auction itself it's explained on a post i wrote a couple lines up:
  7. your allowed to make simple "Buyout" sales on the forums.

"Has the item or not" hasn't been an issue. the specific thing that is banned is auctions, where players place bids.

the forums still open to place "Buyout" sales of "heres what I got for sale, pay me this and receive it"
  8. Look.
    i atempted to explain once and twice and even tree times.
    I will have to go ahead and design the plugin and search for a coder myself to explain here. I drawed it, recorded it, wrote it and explained it tons of times here.
    Not trying to get rude but this is seriously getting weird, i mean can't you get that the player only puts the price when the auction is finished (in forums or our external website) and he gets a code for the auction winner to redeem?
    It's still an auction but it's secure because only if he has an item the guy on the other side will buy it, and he can recieve the item even if the auction owner it's not there.
    *sign* /thread pset copherfield flame hurricane off
  9. That doesn't solve any part of the compliction's with auctions that lead to it being disallowed...

I understand exactly what your saying, and I'm trying to say that it solves problems that are unrelated to the headaches of auctions.

you already can make a private chest with [ACCESS] for collection when your not online... the main issue that has be resolved with auctions is the auction process itself...
  10. I will seriously have to make a plugin to explain this...
    If you reffer to that then why this?
    ??? i mean, all that you said was on the original thread.
    The way people auction it's simple. They go to the external website or simply an extension of EMC and they insert the item info. After that the auction it's created, and people who is interested will bid on it. If the player does not have the item (or sells it before) it doesnt matter because no1 will pay nothing for it, unless he does have it and it's on a place that the buyer can reach.
    Also, the website will have trust points, so if you do an auction and then close it you will have to pay the fee for closing it + you will get a negative point at the trust system, and if the auction ends before for any non-legit reason you might get banned form the auction system (or maybe the servers?)
  11. We had to get a theoretical license to use a pen xD
  12. The problems with auctions, that I see, are:-
    1. The auctioneer no longer wants to sell. Item fails to meet the auctioneers expectation on winning bid. The winner won a bargain. Ideally the auctioneer would hand over item and hope the next time he is more lucky. In reality some people where "accidentally" dropping the item in lava, forgot they had promised it to someone else or just plain refusing to sell it.
    2. The auction winner no longer wants the item. Ideally bidders if they won they would buy even if they no longer wanted the item. In reality winners would change their minds, find the same item cheaper, win a similar auction, disappear for a bit, claim their little brother made the bid or just refuse to buy.
    3. One of the parties can't complete the auction. Ideally winner pays the auctioneer, the auctioneer then sets up an access chest and winner collects item. In reality winner or auctioneer gets banned, goes on holiday, has real life issues, the winner doesn't have the funds or auctioneer doesn't have the item auctioned (entered wrong item details, genuinely dropped it in lava).
    4. One of the parties is out to scam the other. Ideally this would never occur. In reality the auctioneer receives the funds and never hands over item or winner get the item but never pays.

To me the first three are part in parcel in taking part in an auction, you suck it up, give poor feedback and refuse to deal with them again. You are no worse off than you where if the auction never took place. The fourth they should be reported and in turn investigated by the mods.

I think we lost the privilege to run auctions on the forum due to excessive reports regarding the first three problems. I think copherfields solution partially solves the third problem but not fully nor any of the others.

What we need is a system that holds onto the item being auctioned when auction is created, takes bids from rupee balance (refunded when outbid) and automatically hands over item to winner and winning bid to the auctioneer. How to implement this I leave to others.
    sagem4tt likes this.
  13. Bigdavie nailed it. It wasn't the process of getting legitimate buyers the items they won from legitimate sellers. It was the people quitting on auctions (whether buying or selling) when they were dissatisfied. Furthermore, I think the biggest issue was likely the amount of time the moderators were having to spend dealing with complaints. Would you want to have to deal with auction quitters for a significant portion of your available time to play & enjoy EMC?

To me, the best idea at this point might be for someone to start up their own auction house and have live auctions. Maybe have them a couple times a day, or however they wanted to include the widest possible demographics seeing as we have people from various points on the globe playing. The auction house could get a % cut of the auctions as operating fees and you'd eventually build up a couple lists: those who are naughty, and those who are nice. It might be a headache to start with, getting peeps to use local chat, keeping chat dedicated to the auctions and not other topics, but drop the BANHAMMER for that lot a few times and things would clear up.
  14. @bigmonyb omg that is such a good idea it reminded me of lord of the rings online (im sure lots of other games have it but its the only mmo i play :3) if we could get a plugin for this auction house that would be insane if its not a lightweight plugin maybe only run it on the utopia server (one under the least load) and have the auction house there so free vault as well :)