How many tokens for an Empire/Land claim?

Discussion in 'Frontier and Player Outposts' started by Kaizimir, Oct 30, 2015.

1. What about some form of discount to public areas? I have a large (24 villages) iron farm that I've been working on. The plan was for it to be a public access build. It would be great if we could protect it from griefing & still have everyone access the collection chests. If the claiming is as costly as it seems it might be I may consider claiming it and just keeping it private.
    Kaizimir likes this.
  2. 40,000. eh, random numbers. however, thats roughly 20-25 minibosses. which of course if you have done group mining, voting or killing enraged mobs then it would be a lot less minibosses. maybe a little less? I don't think more tokens than that would make sense at this point. Maybe DT gives you 20k and two DT's and you get enough for an outpost? spit-balling.
    bitemenow15, SkareCboi and Kaizimir like this.
  3. Personally, I think charging for protection is a really bad idea in general. Charging tokens for a teleport, or increased outpost size is fine, but protection shouldnt cost money on a "Grief free by default" server.
    I have 60 k tokens atm, nearly all of which have come from voting, NOT killing mobs. I have a feeling that when Official Claiming (with tokens) becomes available, 60 k will get me a very limited area in the frontier, compared to the size of the outpost that I have now. Now take the monster hunters for example. I personally know people on here that enjoy finding minibosses, and they have over 200 k tokens, even though they have been on the server far less time than myself. That aspect of tokens in general is just plain unfair. I am active, I spend an hour a day at least on emc, why isnt my activity rewarded with tokens? Because I get bored chasing mobs? to me, that is really disappointing. The token system itself is punishing builders, producers, pixel artists, pretty much anyone EXCEPT mob hunters.
    The suggestion that those same people will get rewarded with the ability to buy more protected area than the rest of emc is disturbing, at the very least. Protection for our outposts should be available to everyone on emc, not just mob hunters.
    I am sorry for this rant, but the token system to me seems pretty unfair.
  4. But there needs to be an effective way to make sure new players don't come and claim land all over the place, then never come back. Tokens are the best way to do it.

5. If token earning were based on hours spent on emc, I would agree with you. But as it stands now, miniboss hunters have a VERY strong advantage in the land claiming process. Rupees would be much more fair, though I'm not suggesting that.
    amadai, PetuniaFigtree and jkrmnj like this.
  6. It's not fair to give the privilege of land claiming only to older players. It'd be unfair if an eager newer player had to wait for days/months till he could build in the frontier without fear of griefing. Tokens are a little bit like skill points, they suggest more experience and time spent in the wild. Therefore they can differentiate between a new player who won't be doing anything and a new yet dedicated player, who wanted land bad enough to kill bosses and enraged mobs for it. Maybe adding more ways you can gain tokens would be good.
  7. This.. And the fact that you get nothing in exchange for any activity other than mob hunting has discouraged me from starting my outpost. Having to pay for protection, a feature advertised as a given, and using a currency that you can only get from one activity is kind of upsetting to say the least.
    amadai, Mob_Meal and MmarkM like this.
  8. I agree that this is unfair how we have to pay tokens, because I can see what you mean- new players might claim some land, never come back to it and then it would annoy others because that 6 blocks could be part of their outpost.
    But, I also think that tokens should still be used for land claiming because if you have an outpost that is protected, it would show that you are fighting against grievers and grieving (I just read something about grieving- it's still stuck in my head).
  9. I believe the paying tokens for land is extremely fair.

Tokens are extremely easy to get, and EMC does already have a way of rewarding your "time on EMC" with tokens. It is called voting. On my alt, which has been on the server for 159 days, I have 20,132 tokens. This is solely from voting. I vote every day, without fail. My main... I have... alot more... I don't go out and actively hunt mini-bosses. I do, spend ALOT of time in the wild. If I see an enraged I kill it, but that's it.

Your argument I find something akin to this example. A player needs emeralds to trade for enchantment books. However, they find it boring to sit there and trade and would rather go do other things. Sure, they get emeralds from voting, but they want more. Sure, they can go hunt enraged creepers for emeralds too, but that's still not good enough... let's just give everyone emeralds for doing anything!

It would devalue the system and make it a complete irrelevant thing.

Tokens for land is more than fair. I just would like to see ANY form of protection in the wild... it's been YEARS since it was dangled in front of us.
  10. When we claim them, If its a portal back, we should be able to choose the location right?
  11. There is room to be flexible. I'm confident our staff will have a solution for everyone. Maybe the initial roll-out will be a little restricted, but I don't see why the staff would be resistant to any valid claims.

example: players could receive a small claim for free, and only be charged for expansions. There could be increasing charges based on how many chunks an outpost has claimed so the larger the outpost the more is costs to further increase the size.

But really, it's not like we're going to run out of space. If land claim were free and we claimed chunks 24/7 we still couldn't claim all of the frontier.
    MmarkM and ThaKloned like this.
  12. Has staff come out and say what it's going to cost or is this just us pontificating?
  13. Nothing has been decided in stone yet by the staff.
  14. That :p
  15. I get the voting tokens also Dek, but put it in prospective a bit. if it takes 10000 of them to change the biome of a town res, what will the price be to claim a 1 k radius? probably more in the 100k to 300 k range. Tokens arent the same thing as emeralds either. To me, tokens equal protected outposts, and if someone votes, plays regularly to avoid derelict status, they should have the same opportunity to protect their work as someone who hunts marlixes all day. Even a new player should be able to claim some land, as long as they vote and are active. My main point is, land protection should not be tied to how many mobs you kill. Minibosses already drop all kinds of other good stuff, and thats great, it really is. But I haven't had time to hunt minibosses; I've been far too busy building massive creations in the wild. Now I just want the same protection as the people who hunt minibosses.
    My main concern is that the price of the claiming will be far too big for those of us who have really established themselves in the frontier. Some people have large cities, multiple cities in the same outpost, spanning 3ooo plus blocks. Even if land claiming is 100 tokens per chunk, it will still be unrealistic that anyone would have that many tokens.
    I understand that we need tokens for land claiming, and I have no problem with that. The issue I have is that land claiming should not be easier for one group of players than another, especially in a sandbox game. If this were a game focused entirely on combat, it would be a different story altogether. Mob hunting is a very small part of minecraft, yet when it comes to token earning, It is 10 to 1 easier to earn them mob hunting than doing anything else on Emc. And land claiming is a VERY large part of Emc for a very large group of us. So that very small group that hunts monsters will have a very large advantage over the players that are so busy building in the frontier that they don't have time to hunt mobs.
    jkrmnj likes this.
  16. I think maybe 500 tokens per chunk would be a reasonable cost, since some people might want to get several chunks
  17. I could afford 16x4160 blocks on my main, or 2080 square with 130k tokens. That's not bad math actually.
  18. I am starting to be worried here; the current outpost radius (as I understand it) is 2500k out on all sides from the center claimed point. My outpost is growing and I expect to be using all of this area - will we suddenly lose the current level of protection (via grief reporting) after this upgrade? I spend all my time building and I don't hunt mobs either.

I have done everything according to the rules; shouldn't this new token-purchasing procedure be put in place for new outpost claims, and be automatically granted to the existing ones, in line with the current claimed area? It would be extremely unfair if I am suddenly forced to give up all my developed area to griefers due to lack of tokens :(
  19. And speaking of tokens and voting; I am not able to vote with my alts from the same house - separate paid accounts (using separate computers on the same home internet account) are still not recognized and I get the message 'you have already voted today' even though I am logging the vote for my alt..