Houston Relief

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Eviltoade, Aug 29, 2017.

1. I have so many friends affected by this it breaks my heart, both IRL and here on emc. I felt so good to see some of my emc friends come on just to tell me they are ok but gotta go as they were / are doing search and rescue. Toade it made my heart warm to hear from you. I still have yet to get a call or text from others, just so scared for them and everyone affected by this catastrophic hurricane.

My heart and prayers to EVERYONE in Texas, Imagine how many family members are concerned and affected even though they are safe. I pray for those family's that can't reach loved ones in the center of all this.
  2. I hope everyone is safe and my prayers go out to everyone in Houston
  3. Though there's nothing I myself can do to help, I will be praying for everyone down there-- relief workers, too. Your job may be the hardest in the world, and yet, you continue to help those in need. Your kindness and braveness keeps everyone alive. Thank you.
  4. Wow!!! Just... Heart broken... So much damage...
    Eviltoade and MoreMoople like this.
  5. Why is there no "praying" button?
  6. Not sure if this is a legitimate question or.....?
  7. If you are not in Texas, and you wish to help there are many resources you can contribute to. ANYTHING tangible helps... even if it's $10. Frankly in situations like this, cash is king.

• American Red Cross. To make a financial donation, visit the their website, call 1.800.RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation for those in need.
    • Catholic Charities of USA. To make a financial donation, visit CCUSA's disaster-specific website or text 71777 to make a donation.
    • Global Giving. To make a financial donation, visit their website or text HARVEY to 80100 to donate $10 to Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
    • Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible donations. The fund is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity. To make a financial donation, visit the GHCF website.
    • Salvation Army. To make a financial donation, visit www.helpsalvationarmy.org, call 1.800.SAL ARMY, or text STORM to 51555.
    • United Way of Greater Houston has established a Flood Relief Fund to help with recovery needs of those most impacted. To give to the United Way Flood Relief Fund, visit unitedwayhouston.org/flood or text UWFLOOD to 41444.

*edited* These are all listed in Toade's OP, but also included the quick and easy way of donating through a simple text.
    Eviltoade and Harp4Christ like this.
  8. I'm so sorry to everyone that's been effected or has family or friends in Houston. Personally, I live thousands of kilometres away, but the people of Houston are in my prayers. Stay safe everyone, and don't lose hope. ❤️
    Eviltoade likes this.
  9. Friday I am going to go help out at some shelters (since my family always volunteers at these kinds of things) because we are getting loads of cats and dogs coming from Texas to us, New Jersey. I am going to be there to document them, bathe them and more. The whole community is going to pitch in on this and we(my household) went to the store and bought tons of toys and such for the kids out in Texas. We are here to help!
  10. This is the worst thing I've ever seen, I think Harvey has beaten Katrina (2005)! I seriously wish I could help, but my father is putting a lot of financial strain on my family (and not because he wants to support anything!) so we're in no position to do much of anything! The most I can do right now is say "good luck, and may the Darkness be with you" (by the way, the Darkness is the lifeblood of the Far Lands, not many people get it, and think I'm being mean, but I really truly care, I promise.)
    Eviltoade likes this.
  11. Estimated 185,000 homes affected by the storm so far...

Some pics of a house I helped gut yesterday, and some random ones of the street and park near my house:
    https://imgur.com/a/0jU0p
    -ET
  12. That's a lot of damaged area.... I wish there was more I could do then just sending donations. It's good to see people who are down there helping others out.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  13. It breaks my heart to see everyone in this situation, sadly you can't really stop a hurricane. Sending love Houston's way.

I'm gonna try to help the best I can from PA. <3
    MoreMoople and Eviltoade like this.
  14. Eviltoade and Boulder, I'm in Austin and want to come down and help with clean up... who can we contact?
    TomvanWijnen and Eviltoade like this.
  15. Thus far I have personally been successful looking at the social media circles in my area. Its a little more difficult finding organizations that actually want manpower and not just your money (which is rediculous imo). Anyhow, it all depends on what you want to do really; help in shelters, help deliver food or supplies? Check out some of the places below to see what you can do:

I would start with these first, let me know if you find anything, if not I'll give more links

Save the Children are doing some good work
    United Way is pretty good
    You might be able to get in with the JJ Watt Foundation - for some reason I just feel like the money here is going to the right place.

-ET

(ps. send me a pm with your info, and if I go to another house I can let you know when / where)
  16. Ah come on toade.. you're meant for the water! LOL. My favorite youtube channel ended up going down there and helping. Damaged the jet ski's and spent lots of time helping the DEA. This one old lady wanted the power back on and didn't want to leave.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  17. Prayers for everyone in Texas.
    TrueArkon and Eviltoade like this.
  18. I honestly agree that this is one of the worst hurricanes in the US yet, and agree with Krysyy that the scope of this is much larger than we thought. Having family members who went through Sandy and recently moving to New Orleans myself (where Katrina mainly hit), I've seen firsthand how bad these tragedies can be. These things take a lot of time to recover from, for example nearly every single alley and/or small road is broken up and difficult to drive over (my dad's Toyota sedan has already lost a tire) here in NOLA. I unfortunately can't do much, so all I can say is that my prayers go out to everyone affected and that Texas recovers as smoothly as possible. Prayers also to everyone in the Florida Keys and islands affected by Irma, that was also a gigantic hurricane that caused horrible damage to every area hit.
    Eviltoade likes this.
  19. Eviltoade likes this.