Hopper usage poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Sep 9, 2013.

?

Making hoppers move entire stack instead of 1 by 1

Love the idea, helps me 136 vote(s) 59.6%
This would hurt my creations (please explain in thread) 40 vote(s) 17.5%
Doesn't affect me (or I don't use hoppers) 52 vote(s) 22.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The way a sorter works is it takes and takes until 1 is left. If the hopper is moving one item slot at a time, it would take the initial item being used to sort.
    MR2R2M likes this.
  2. This would break contraptions that depend on filling all the hopper's slots with a total of 22 items. That's how item sorters would break because the hopper would drain it by slot instead of by 1 so it won't detect the 22 items.
    cowland123 likes this.
  3. :(! This will totally destroy the idea of the sorter! If it takes 1 stack at a time other items will get caught in the sorter and it will be completely useless. I've spent about 10 hours in designing and building and experimenting with sorters. The idea is when there is more than 22 items in the sorter a comparator is activated and powers a chest minecart. If it took an entire slot then other items would get caught in the sorter either jamming it up completely or the wrong stuff going into my chests. Sorters aren't just for sorting items if your too lazy to organize them in chests yourself because mob farms and other things that produce items will be able to set off alarms or stop the farm or whatever.
  4. I guess there could be a res flag so people with sorters could make it default and people who don't care can make it the non-lag way.
  5. This would hurt a creation that I use very very very often D:

The creation uses that fact that items only move one by one. This would completely render the item useless and a massive was of time and money.

Slowing them down seems like a better idea imo.
  6. Wouldn't this hurt auto sorters? A lot? Since they rely on having an item in the slots...
  7. Guys, he knows. :p A solution is trying to be thought of. :)
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  8. i suggested a solution in my post
    "just make it so when making the hopper put a trapped chest instead of a normal one to make the non-lag way"
  9. While that may work, there are a lot of systems that use regular chests next to trapped, with different items and pulling at different times. Good solution for small machines, but it seems like a flag is wanted, or at least like Aikar suggested a sign system. :)
  10. Great idea! people that donate dirt have to wait for the hopper to put it in the chest and they get impatient :p.
  11. I see alot of people saying this will break huge sorters, the major hopper sorters are the reason the server is lagging so much, get rid of the sorters and the sorters won't get broken. ~Champ4now
  12. If you get rid of them, then they would be WAY too broken :p
    So...
  13. I don't like the idea of slowing down hopper item transfers, would really mess up hopper clocks.
  14. Save the item sorter!
    gollark8 likes this.
  15. It would be extremely useful, however, it likely break the sorting machine that I have been tinkering with in my R&D world. I test create my machines in my R&D world before trying to construct them in EMC. The sorting machine that I have been tinkering with requires filling a hopper with a specified item with non-stackable to sort though them, unfortunately, I have not gotten the machine to work properly yet, so I would rather see the hopper lag fixed than hold out on it to build my sorter.. :\

2013-09-09_21.12.46.png 2013-09-09_21.12.24.png 2013-09-09_21.12.56.png
  16. There should be a res flag.I run a place that you can buy my often-valuable unwanted items for cheap,and this could break my dirt filter.
    And there's no room for signs.
    I was going to upgrade my auto furnace.This would break it.
    And it could break my potion machine.
    And it could stop the chicken farm I am making for someone working.
    I made a mistake on the poll.
    And I think that if this gets added,add a res flag for turning it off.
  17. I went back onto minecraft because my friend said that they saw me on the server and I hadn't been on so I tried to go back on and it said I had been permbanned for giefing in the wild
  18. eminem you should PM the mod who banned you if you want to ask why or appeal. If you don't know who then PM a mod to find out who you should appeal to. Please don't post about this in forum threads

As to this actual thread my own creations using hoppers should survive the change because they deal in non-stackable items or are just storage although I'm not clear how auto-furnaces would be affected other than those that are part of a more complex sorter?

EDIT nm I missed a page of posts where someone explained how it affects auto-furnaces
  19. alot of the mechanics of hoppers is moving one thing at a time and activating a comparator this is breaking basic game mechanics if it is not toggle-able in some way imo
  20. I Am half and half, i think its great because it would be easier, but than comparartor and a chest wont work as well
    but i can find a way either way :)
    could you have it, where if a lever or something was sending a redstone signal to a plopper, it would go back to the old version?
    bitemenow15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.